My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Record live stops after a minute or two

(72 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

RichHumax - 8 mins ago  » 
    Hi all, thank you for your responses. Firstly, apologies for getting the latest software date wrong, it’s the 13/01/2021 not 21st as I said, so is UKTFAE 1.03.53 like you mention. My machine is a 5000T 1TB but suspect that makes no difference. I had wondered about the ‘back up copy’ of the software allegedly living on a partition on the hard drive for the very reason you stated about swapping out the drive. I even challenged Humax about that but they said I was wrong! It’s extremely unlikely that the currently loaded software managed to update to the very latest and report as such if the hard drive is faulty/corrupted and is involved in the process.
    Unfortunately, I have tried several factory resets as described but everything returns to normal except the instant record. On further ‘testing’, it does sometimes record for a minute or two beyond what’s in the buffer. I should also add, as it has sometimes been suggested as an issue, it’s not channel specific. I have also tried the hard mains reboot a couple of times without success but currently trying a longer electron starvation diet on the machine!
    I suspect the inability to reformat is a red herring. I could take it apart and connect it to a PC but I still don’t see how it can logically interfere with the instant record, which must be entirely software driven and set from EPG data. Especially as no errors are reported for the recording, unlike when a transmitter goes off once in a blue moon mid recording or there’s a power glitch.
    Finally, it would be great if someone who has a 5000T with the Jan 21 software, who importantly doesn’t have anything valuable saved to their hard drive, could confirm that their instant record behaves correctly and that they can format their hard drive. Graham, I think you're trying the instant record? I still believe the narrow nature of the issue points to a weird software bug, but as you say Graham, I probably need a new hard drive, may be the hard drive can't successfully copy/add to its own buffer recording. But to fail in such a way without an error message feels illogical. Thanks again.

There is no software on the hard drive. The epg is also in nvram. If you change the HDD you of course lose the recordings unless you copy them to the new HDD but you still have the recording schedule. The last time I had to replace the HDD I had no errors. I disconnected the HDD and the box booted fine. The new HDD was setup completely automatically. As the HDD had failed completely I lost the old recordings. It's a bit tricky to get at the hard drive as there are some clips you need to disengage.

This is described in the faq's.

I have software version 1.03.53

| Sat 27 Feb 2021 15:45:20 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

RichHumax - 22 mins ago  » 
    I still believe the narrow nature of the issue points to a weird software bug, but as you say Graham, I probably need a new hard drive, may be the hard drive can't successfully copy/add to its own buffer recording.

I am sorry but I think it is very unlikely that it is a software bug. It is orders of magnitude more likely that it is a problem with the file system on the hard drive. The file system problem may or may not be a symptom of a hardware problem with the hard drive. The first thing I would do is remove the hard drive, attach it to a PC and have a look at the SMART data which holds the clue to the health of the hard drive.

| Sat 27 Feb 2021 15:56:41 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichHumax

Thanks Graham, I fear you must be right. At the very least it's worth a look at the hard drive through a PC to see what's going on with it. As soon as I have a little free time I'll start investigating!

| Sat 27 Feb 2021 16:29:41 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Fyl

My FVP 4000T is doing this as well. If you set an instant record going, it will record exactly 1 minute then stop.

Firmware is 1.03.53 13 Jan 2021

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 13:13:47 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevem1960

Fyl - 11 mins ago  » 
    My FVP 4000T is doing this as well. If you set an instant record going, it will record exactly 1 minute then stop.
    Firmware is 1.03.53 13 Jan 2021

Mine is also an FVP 4000T. Did you try unplugging power for a minute? I am sure this is not a permanent fix, probably it causes a full reboot which re-initialises some variable or other that is not being properly managed in the sw. I agree with RichHumax that it feels like a s/w problem. Just reading Martin Liddle's reply #22 I disagree, it may be related to the disk usage but that would still be software related. If it were the hardware of the disk drive it would be a more permanent OR a more randomly widespread issue, not this very specific single issue.

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 13:30:31 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

stevem1960 - 4 mins ago  » 
    If it were the hardware of the disk drive it would be a more permanent OR a more randomly widespread issue, not this very specific single issue.

I disagree with your analysis. Starting an instant recording will access the partition that is specifically for holding the buffer for pausing live play. Any problems with the file system for that buffer are likely to cause a problem with a live record.

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 13:39:20 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevem1960

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

If it were the hardware of the disk drive it would be a more permanent OR a more randomly widespread issue, not this very specific single issue.

I disagree with your analysis. Starting an instant recording will access the partition that is specifically for holding the buffer for pausing live play. Any problems with the file system for that buffer are likely to cause a problem with a live record.

You seem to know a lot more about the Hummy than I do (are you a Humax employee?) but from what you say, pausing live TV would also be affected. In my case it was not. Also, this is still likely to be s/w because it is s/w that controls the partitions etc, if a disk were faulty, it is likely to be faulty across all partitions, or only on certain sectors (much smaller than partitions) which would cause intermittent problems which is not how it manifested itself for me. It was a fault that always occured, but purely when trying to record the current being-watched program.

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 15:34:33 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

stevem1960 - 2 hours ago  » 

You seem to know a lot more about the Hummy than I do (are you a Humax employee?) but from what you say, pausing live TV would also be affected.

I am not a Humax employee and I resent your suggestion that I might be; please apologise. I have been contributing to Humax forums for something like 15 years and have seen a lot of problems.

In my case it was not.

That is a piece of information we didn't have before.

Also, this is still likely to be s/w because it is s/w that controls the partitions etc, if a disk were faulty, it is likely to be faulty across all partitions, or only on certain sectors (much smaller than partitions) which would cause intermittent problems which is not how it manifested itself for me.

File system corruption (which is not necessarily connected to an underlying hard drive problem) produces all sorts of strange problems. It is more of an issue on PVRs than normal computers because of the optimisations to hard drive firmware used in PVRs to prioritise playback quality over data integrity.

It was a fault that always occured, but purely when trying to record the current being-watched program.

Which is why I worry about the time shift buffer.

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 18:36:13 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

stevem1960 - 3 hours ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 1 hour ago  » 

You seem to know a lot more about the Hummy than I do (are you a Humax employee?) but from what you say, pausing live TV would also be affected. In my case it was not. Also, this is still likely to be s/w because it is s/w that controls the partitions etc, if a disk were faulty, it is likely to be faulty across all partitions, or only on certain sectors (much smaller than partitions) which would cause intermittent problems which is not how it manifested itself for me. It was a fault that always occured, but purely when trying to record the current being-watched program.

Nobody here works for Humax. Many years ago in a former incarnation when the Foxsat-HDR was new. The then technical director of Humax used to post under the member name Bobcat.

I am convinced that the advice I gave originally that the time shift buffer file is corrupt. The Foxsat-HDR had the same problem. However the custom firmware available for this box had a simple solution. Rename the file named 0.ts to say 0.old. This forces the box to recreate a new 0.ts on a different area of the hard disk.

Constantly writing and re-writing to the same area of the HDD can easily cause write errors to that area of the HDD.

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 19:27:54 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevem1960

Martin Liddle wrote : I am not a Humax employee and I resent your suggestion that I might be; please apologise. I have been contributing to Humax forums for something like 15 years and have seen a lot of problems.

Are you serious? You want me to apologise for asking a question? I certainly did not imply that you were a Humax employee, merely asked if you were, but I will still apologise for your inference that I did - no offence intended

| Tue 2 Mar 2021 16:23:51 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.