My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Record live stops after a minute or two

(72 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

First tests are looking promising.
    Before I went out I set up three simultaneous instant recordings (direct from the channel then change/repeat). All have recorded correctly.
    With regards to the password, it was a bit odd because when I first entered a random password, the "network connection status" test reported that I was still connected but everything else indicated not (iPlayer etc). But a few moments later the test then reported a fail.
    I don't need to be connected to the internet on the Humax because I use iPlayer/YouTube etc via my TV now, so if this workaround proves viable, it's at least a solution for me, thank you.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 14:35:06 #51 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

That's another 4 simultaneous recordings all completed successfully.
    If Humax can't be bothered to resolve the issue, perhaps it's time for them to make the firmware open-source. Within weeks the 4000t/5000t would be transformed (for those who would be willing to install custom firmwares).

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 16:03:42 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichHumax

Good to hear, it'll be interesting to see if it works for anyone else.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 17:12:11 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SoundmanLedbury

Thanks for all the responses everyone! Mine has a wired connection so I'll try unplugging and then see if this solves the instant record problem for me. It's not a solution of course, just a inconvenient workaround, as going offline defeats the whole point of Freeview+ etc. Mine is connected to a 'dumb' monitor and HiFi so I need it for iPlayer etc.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 18:16:13 #54 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

RichHumax - 1 hour ago  » 
    Good to hear, it'll be interesting to see if it works for anyone else.

So if it is a networking related issue, can we establish anything that is different between the people for who it works and those who get failed recordings? I am in the it works for me camp.

I use FTTP broadband supplied by Plusnet (a trial product that isn't generally available).

I don't use an ISP router (I am currently using an Asus RT-68U router).

I specify a third party DNS server rather than relying on the router.

My network doesn't use IP addresses that start 192.168

What other network parameters might conceivably be significant?

Anybody else care to share their set up?

NB I have absolutely no clue about what might be happening.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 18:59:55 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevem1960

I use a Fritzbox router but the internal network IS 192.168. My router is pointed at plusnet's DNS servers. My camp is did't/did/doesn't if that makes sense.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 19:13:39 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichHumax

Hi, my FVP-5000T is wired back to a BT Smart Hub 2 via a number of switches. The BT Hub is largely running on default settings from a DNS and DHCP (198.162) point of view. It connects to a street cabinet via VDSL, achieves around 40/6M and is normally very stable.
    To be honest, I’m not sure that our network arrangements have anything to do with the issue. To prove the point I tried to connect my machine via a hotspot from my iPhone this morning but was unsuccessful due to a number of local reasons. If I had more time, I’d do a factory reset and then I believe I’d be successful. If anyone is so inclined, it would be a good test for someone to try.
    In my humble opinion, the machine isn’t faulty! It’s simply doing what it’s been programmed to do. The instant recordings do not crash the machine or even show up as ‘broken’. They simply stop as if their session has come to its end time.
    I honestly have insufficient knowledge of how the machine works but it looks as if, when in instant record, the machine frequently poles an external database to check to see if the programme is ending earlier than scheduled, as the EPG does, and unfortunately, when able to access that database due to an active WAN connection, gets an instruction that says it has finished or misinterprets an instruction that way. Why the same doesn’t occur for scheduled recordings I have no idea!
    I do appreciate that my ‘fix’ is not a fix but it gives us a possible insight into what’s going on and may be a workable solution for some depending on how they normally use their machines. It may even lead to a way we can get Humax to address the issue, as I’m pretty sure only they can.

| Wed 15 Dec 2021 11:43:04 #57 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

This is frustrating now!
    After being in standby overnight, my 4000t reconnected to my WiFi and now won't allow me to save a random password like I did yesterday, it just reconnects.
    My WiFi is via the hotspot function on my Samsung phone and, since the last update, it no longer supports the option to block a specific device. It looks like I will be forced to do a reset on the Humax but this is annoying because I was able to be disconnected all day yesterday by just adding a random password.

| Wed 15 Dec 2021 11:54:32 #58 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

RichHumax - 18 mins ago  » 
    To be honest, I’m not sure that our network arrangements have anything to do with the issue.

I am not saying that the network arrangements definitely make a difference but it remains true that instant recording works properly for me and doesn't work for you and several others. So I am simply trying to find if there is anything obviously different.

I honestly have insufficient knowledge of how the machine works but it looks as if, when in instant record, the machine frequently poles an external database to check to see if the programme is ending earlier than scheduled, as the EPG does, and unfortunately, when able to access that database due to an active WAN connection, gets an instruction that says it has finished or misinterprets an instruction that way.

My understanding is that instant records don't look for an end of programme signal; they should run for a fixed length of time set by the data in the epg (received via the aerial) at the time the recording is set. I assume that is why there is the option to extend the time of the recording.

| Wed 15 Dec 2021 12:17:04 #59 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I have just spoken with customer support and asked why the process I used yesterday worked perfectly but won't work today and all they kept saying is to do a full reset.
    They also told me that they have no plans to release any further updates for a 6 year old machine.

| Wed 15 Dec 2021 12:27:32 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.