My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Record live stops after a minute or two

(72 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

There is definitely an issue (as I have mentioned before) because I have had two "instant record" failures today, one stopping after 4 minutes and the other after 27 minutes. However, I cannot reliably replicate the problem intentionally.
    I did not have this problem prior to the "youtube" update.

| Sat 6 Mar 2021 13:44:18 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

SoundmanLedbury

I've been having the same issue with my FVP 4000T for several months now and found this thread via Google.

Scheduled recordings work perfectly. Rewinding live TV works perfectly and will often allow me to rewind well over an hour so the buffering is fine. However, if I press Record while watching a programme, the recording stops after a while, usually between 5 and 20 minutes after pressing Record. If I had been watching since the start of the programme the recording correctly captures the contents of the buffer from the start of the programme up until the point the recording stops. There is plenty of free space on the hard drive.

This happens irrespective of whether other programmes are being recorded on other channels. It makes no difference if stay on the channel or change to another one, it still drops out of record a random time after starting recording.

It happens on all channels, HD and SD. Signal strength is very good - I have line-of-site to the transmitter about 5km away. It is the same if I select a programme in the Guide that has already started and select record - I get the message immediately that recording has started and the message shows the scheduled end time but it still usually stops recording before then. The only reliable way to record a programme now is to set the schedule to record before the programme starts.

This used to be a really useful feature of the STB which is now completely useless! I've tried the reboot options etc suggested in this thread and I believe the firmware is up-to-date.

If anyone has a solution I'd love to know.

Thank you in anticipation.

| Mon 13 Dec 2021 22:23:08 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

SoundmanLedbury - 37 mins ago  » 
    If anyone has a solution I'd love to know.

I don't think anyone has got a solution; it works perfectly for me but a number of other people have made the same reports as you about failures and I have seen enough evidence to fully believe it is a genuine problem.

| Mon 13 Dec 2021 23:05:02 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Only Humax will be able to provide a solution but they need to acknowledge that the problem exists first.

I would say that about 8/10 instant records fail for me. I have ruled out my habit of pressing record and then changing channel after the recording starts as being the culprit, I now leave the recording to complete on the original channel but it still fails.
    All other scheduled recordings work perfectly.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 8:28:31 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichHumax

Hi all, I posted a few fairly long comments earlier this year. I won’t waste people’s time repeating them but I thought an update might be useful following the renewed interest in the subject. My machine continues to function as last described, everything works normally except; instant record only continues for 1min but adds anything in the buffer to the saved recording and the hard drive won’t format (unless removed from machine and even then it soon becomes unformattable pretty quickly after re-installation).
    I’d be interested to know, if, like for me, the instant record function can be temporarily ‘fixed’ on people’s machines, although not the re-formatting issue, in the same way as I described earlier this year? This morning I repeated my ‘fix’ and it is still 100% reproducible! If I disconnect my machine from the Network, both wired and wifi of course, the instant record works perfectly again. In fact, to prove the point, if the Network connection is re-established during an instant record, the recording will even stop exactly 1min after its re-establishment. Of course, this is not a ‘fix’ and will cause other undesirable issues but I suspect demonstrates some bizarre connection between the instant record issue and WAN and the EPG. Also of note, is that in some multiple instant record activation scenarios, involving a channel change at some point, the instant recording labels the recording incorrectly as being of the channel and programme of the previous instant record and often also has a projected end time of the programme being recorded as being exactly 1hour later than the EPG states.
    For what it’s worth, I remain bewildered why some lucky people’s machines remain unaffected, it appears to defy fault finding protocols! However, due to the very narrow and repeatable nature of the issue, the cause must be very obvious to whoever designed the machine’s hardware and or firmware.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 10:40:33 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

stevem1960

I had this problem quite some time ago but then it disappeared and I thought that might have been due to a software update at the time. However i noticed that it has reappeared when I tried to record Antiques Roadshow and it only recorded about 16 minutes of the program along with about 20 minutes of the previous program that was in the buffer. Disconnecting from the internet is an interesting idea. Can I ask how you disconnected from wifi? e.g. did you disconnect on the Hummy menu or did you deny access via your router, or maybe some other way?

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 11:40:35 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Very interesting.
    I have just disconnected my WiFi (entered a random password) and will be doing some tests. I'll report back in a couple of days.

I think you may well be onto something here for the following reason :-
    In all the time I have owned my 4000t, I have never had the issue (widely reported) of the box showing no recordings out of standby until recently (last week). The only thing that was different was I had server/samba/file share on to do some investigation based on the issues reported by another user. 3 or 4 times I "lost" the recording list but they returned after a power disconnect/reboot and since turning them off I haven't had the same occurrence.
    Network and networking functions are poor on the 4000t/5000t at the best of times but if it is affecting other operations aswell, Humax need to address the issues.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 11:42:28 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

RichHumax - 1 hour ago  » 
    If I disconnect my machine from the Network, both wired and wifi of course, the instant record works perfectly again.

As a matter of interest, do you normally use WiFi or wired?

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 12:10:22 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichHumax

Hi again. Just to clarify, it’s the loss of WAN (internet access) that ‘fixes’ the problem, having a LAN (without internet access) connected, via wifi or wired makes no difference to the issue either way. So just disconnecting the internet from your home will do, so as you suggest, disconnecting at the BT Hub or similar on its web interface is perhaps the easiest. Just entering an incorrect password into the wifi settings on the machine like SSThing and also unplugging any network cable you may have to the machine as well, will equally work.
    Only other thought after last post, was to say that the fact that not all apparently identical machines of the same model exhibit the same issue, could be down to different hardware versions of course.
    Please let me know how you get on.

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 12:11:17 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

RichHumax

Thank you, very interesting! I use wired but the wifi can also connect if I unplug as changing the password doesn't seem to stick. Factory reset seems a bit extreme and unnecessary to erase it!

| Tue 14 Dec 2021 12:14:15 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.