My Humax Forum » Freeview SD » PVR 9150T, 9200T, 9300T

Remote control has stopped working - unit failing to respond.

(371 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

voxmagna

I'm late into this thread, but here's my contribution:

Whenever you suspect a remote control is not working, you first have to determine if it's the remote handset transmitter faulty or the IR receiver in the box.

Point your remote at a digital camera lens and take a pic whilst pressing a button on the remote. Because most digicams are sensitive to invisible IR light, you will see a white spot from the handset emitter on the recorded pic, if that button is working.

I've had remotes where infrequently used buttons work, but those used most often do not or are unreliable. This simple test method allows you to 'map' the non-working buttons, then open the remote and fix it if you have the skills.

I've never been a great fan of over air updates for anything, including DSL modems. With all the update traffic being carried, you never know what priority your product has. I prefer manual updates from a memory stick.

You can be sure you have downloaded good firmware and actually watch what's going on in realtime - rather than saying a prayer and waiting until you next check the system status. Another important advantage is you can be sure during the manual update the power has stayed on. There's probably a recovery procedure if the firmware or resident bootloader app. gets stuffed caused by a mains fail, but I don't want to take that chance.

| Thu 22 Dec 2011 11:53:51 #201 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoids

Hi everyone - first post, looks like Barry and others are providing a great service on here, so thanks.
    We have a 9150 running software last updated in Nov 2009 and have recently run into the "freezing" problem.
    I tried last night to do the automatic software update following the instructions on the forum and the machine did find the new software but failed to install it (lots of whirring from the Humax which I left running overnight).
    I have tried again this morning but the transmission has ended hasn't it? It can't find new software, unlike last night, but the problem as I see it, is that the Humax didn't properly install it last night.
    What could I have done wrong? Any advice please?

| Thu 22 Dec 2011 12:28:33 #202 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Hi zoids, and welcome to our Forum

Could be a number of reasons, but the first thing to try is a defualt reset, however the software is not transmitted again until the 26 Dec commencing at 10 am.

Unless of course you have the necessary cables and can update from PC:

http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html

| Thu 22 Dec 2011 12:53:58 #203 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

zoids

Cheers Barry. I have done a default reset and will have to wait or get hold of the necessary cables.
    Merry Christmas and thank you again for being so helpful.

| Thu 22 Dec 2011 13:16:30 #204 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

chris b

Thank you. I had exactly the same problems (along with gnashing of teeth 2 days before Christmas) with my 9300 - all sorted thanks to this thread. I also now know I can put my box on standby and still record safely.

Now to a 9150 that will remain switched off until after the transmissions stop. Hope I have got the PC download instructions right!

| Thu 22 Dec 2011 19:02:38 #205 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimkv

I have also had my 9159T freeze up, no reaction to either remote or unit switches even after power down/power up. I have now disconnected the antenna leads and have some reaction, so where do I go from here? Do I need to download software to my laptop, and will this work with a Mac? Any assistance much appreciated. I was about to bin this and go buy new, until I happened on this forum

| Fri 23 Dec 2011 12:44:43 #206 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

jimkv - 5 minutes ago  » 
    I have also had my 9159T freeze up, no reaction to either remote or unit switches even after power down/power up. I have now disconnected the antenna leads and have some reaction, so where do I go from here? Do I need to download software to my laptop, and will this work with a Mac? Any assistance much appreciated. I was about to bin this and go buy new, until I happened on this forum

Welcome to our Forum

You have not stated what version os software you currently have uploaded.

The next OTA does not start until the 26th Dec at 10 am (for the 9150)

See first post in this thread for links on how to upload via OTA (when transmitted) or PC.

| Fri 23 Dec 2011 12:52:39 #207 |
  8. brian

brian

special member

Guide to updating via PC:
    http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.htmlhttp://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html

There seems to be a problem with the above url in the 1st post of this thread, the first part links to this site, and perhaps should be deleted, but the second part is correct.

| Fri 23 Dec 2011 13:15:52 #208 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

brian - 17 minutes ago  » 

Guide to updating via PC:
    http://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.htmlhttp://www.tynecomp.co.uk/flash9200.html

There seems to be a problem with the above url in the 1st post of this thread, the first part links to this site, and perhaps should be deleted, but the second part is correct.

Many thanks, now fixed

| Fri 23 Dec 2011 13:33:26 #209 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

jimkv

Well i tried and tried with the off/on and the reconfigure, and hey presto things finally started happening. I have now done reconfig and the unit appears to be working OK, I just hope it keeps going until the update on the 26th.
    Thanks for all your effort Barry

| Fri 23 Dec 2011 21:41:18 #210 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.