My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

Sensible suggestions for improving EPG, os etc

(62 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SimonR

The more I read on this forum, the more I am amazed how little is being to rectify the many problems with Humax recorders. Some of the faults listed are actually faults with advertised features of the units.
    I have posted problems that I have regarded as major and have prevented the use of certain features. However, there are numerous other "niggles" and "workarounds" required to use basic features. For example, when playing back a series or two part program, the recording are sorted ascending or descending depending on which menu they are played from. Surely this is such a basic error in the operating system that it should have been rectified when first reported ?
    I wonder if there are any plans for an update to make the units perform to their specification ? It seems to me everyone who takes the time to post on this forum do so in good faith, to help other people and hopefully, encourage Humax to support the end-user with their purchase.

| Sun 8 Jul 2018 23:45:40 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

redmic

I used a topfield before this Humax and the EPG and recordings were in list form the top two or three lines of which were used to display information about the selected programme

Also it is possible to use for example to utilise other buttons (eg the color buttons) to cut down on the number of button pushes to achieve an action eg skip forward and back on recordings

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 9:13:44 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

To be fair to Humax many of the problems are not of their making. The copying problem is caused mostly by the coding on the broadcast. They have introduced one time copying and encryption. Not sure why progs are encrypted but the processor finds it difficult to cope. If you copy an encrypted prog it has to de-encrypt it to the hard disc then as it copies to the usb disc it has to re-encrypt it. Meaning a simple copy of a 1 hour prog can take 40 mins. In short .. trying to use a usb disc is fraught with problems to the point where it is unusable.

Where Humax could improve is to put more warnings and explanations when trying to do something.

REDMIC ... you would find this eventually but ... if you press the right or left arrow on the ring during playback it jumps back or forward . Also in the epg if you want to jump forward a day or two just long press the right/left arrow and a list of dates pops up. These are not in the instructions anywhere.

I have a 6 year old Fox-sat and I have gone back to using that ... the software is much better. I only bought a new Freeview Humax to record C4 in HD.

I hope Humax bring out a software update soon ... it is all just a bit too annoying.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 9:34:05 #43 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

redmic - 1 hour ago  » 
    I used a topfield before this Humax and the EPG and recordings were in list form the top two or three lines of which were used to display information about the selected programme
    Also it is possible to use for example to utilise other buttons (eg the color buttons) to cut down on the number of button pushes to achieve an action eg skip forward and back on recordings

The colour keys are reserved for broadcaster options. eg Press Green to play current programme from the beginning

Using a logitech harmony remote you can programme the colour keys to run a macro with a number of chained commands.

| Mon 9 Jul 2018 10:22:25 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

redmic

Oh! thanks for that I had not seen that BBC red button facility.
    What I was contemplating was different options depending on what you have on screen. That facility depends on watching BBC or that's the point I can't think of another that is available at present
    If it is possible be good to reduce the number of key strokes to carry out an action, it might just be me but I get slightly annoyed with myself when I slip onto the back key or the EXIT when maneuvering through the cursor keys

It's just a thought I would not want to over complicate things but as I have seen on other systems the colour key menu is put on the bottom of the screen if appropriate.

I have a Sony Bravia TV (which I have grown to regret) but they have loaded a operating manual which you can access if you are not sure of the available functions or how to use them

| Thu 12 Jul 2018 12:28:36 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

redmic - 5 hours ago  » 
    ...It's just a thought I would not want to over complicate things but as I have seen on other systems the colour key menu is put on the bottom of the screen if appropriate....

Every Humax PVR before the 4000/5000 used the coloured buttons to great effect on various screens, I have no idea why they would take away such great functionality on their new and 'improved' machines!

| Thu 12 Jul 2018 18:13:48 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

Encrypted F1 recording caused an error when trying to use the Humax as a network drive.

| Mon 3 Sep 2018 9:28:27 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Oporus

Oporus - 4 hours ago  » 
    Encrypted F1 recording caused an error when trying to use the Humax as a network drive.

MEDIA PLAYBACK ERROR

| Mon 3 Sep 2018 13:55:29 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

giskard

The best thing Humax could do is open up and publish the programming API to the FVP-4000/5000 so that the open source community could work to come up with a better UI, much like happened with the Topfield TF5800 PVR with MyStuff.

| Mon 3 Sep 2018 22:05:45 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

giskard - 11 minutes ago  » 
    The best thing Humax could do is open up and publish the programming API to the FVP-4000/5000 so that the open source community could work to come up with a better UI, much like happened with the Topfield TF5800 PVR with MyStuff.

If only! I loved MyStuff and was really upset when my 5800 died.

| Mon 3 Sep 2018 22:18:41 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.