My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Series link but different names bug?

(58 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Was struggling to work out why we couldn't get the World's Strongest Man final and done Only Connect specials to show they were recording in the EPG and think I've drawn a conclusion that others could test.

For both series we had chosen to record entire series for the "seed" programmes and the series were recording ok. But the EPG showed no indication that the specials were recording too. On selecting from the EPG the programme didn't indicate it would record, but pressing record brought up the choice of record this one or whole series.

However if viewed the scheduled recordings list the programmes were showing, and the individual episode page also showed it was recording. I'd upload screenshots but the faintly ridiculous file size restriction on images here is a bit too much of a faff to sort out on my phone!

As far as I can tell the issue seems to be that the programme name changed (e.g. added "grand final" to the WSM) compared to the original series name.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 20:20:04 #1 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 18 mins ago  » 
    Was struggling to work out why we couldn't get the World's Strongest Man final and done Only Connect specials to show they were recording in the EPG and think I've drawn a conclusion that others could test.
    For both series we had chosen to record entire series for the "seed" programmes and the series were recording ok. But the EPG showed no indication that the specials were recording too. On selecting from the EPG the programme didn't indicate it would record, but pressing record brought up the choice of record this one or whole series.
    However if viewed the scheduled recordings list the programmes were showing, and the individual episode page also showed it was recording. I'd upload screenshots but the faintly ridiculous file size restriction on images here is a bit too much of a faff to sort out on my phone!
    As far as I can tell the issue seems to be that the programme name changed (e.g. added "grand final" to the WSM) compared to the original series name.

It's not a bug. It's entirely down to the broadcaster.

Simple explanation. Basically it's controlled by the two basic CRID codes that the broadcaster transmits to control series and accurate recordings,

When you set a series recording from the epg. The epg is scanned for the series code (CRID) and the first one it finds in the epg. This also has a programme CRID. If one with the same series CRID is found before the one you set the series from. That is the name of the series folder. After recording it looks for a second different programme CRID that has the same series CRID and a different programme CRID. If it has a different programme name. then the folder gets remamed.

Simple example ITV transmitted a whole series of Bond movies. All with the same series Crid, Everytime a new bond movie is added the folder name changes.

When you add the series number CRID to the mix that on freesat takes president then the the recording order becomes a mess.

And the file size restrictions are entirely sensible.

Modern mobile phones can take really high resolution photos way larger than a 1920 x 1080 pixel monitor can display and designed to allow very large printed high quality images. Most HD monitors have a max resolution of 72dpi. High quality prints start around 240dpi.

They can be many MB in size compared to the text which is tiny. My phone takes over 8 MB images. Some even take 4K images.

You need to learn some of the basics of image editing. Photograph images with settings suitable for where they are going to be used

Copy the images to a PC and resize them to a sensible size or set your phone to take photographs around a max size of 1280 x 720p pixels.

Google how to do this resizing on a PC or Mac. Even the free photo editing capability on PC's and macs have this capability. If you want to upload photos of friends or add them as attachments to e-mails you will need this skill.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 21:02:38 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

(I'm fine with image editing, been doing it since the early 90s, the forum limitation of images lower than 100k is way out of step with just about every other forum out there. I full get that no forum operator wants to be storing volumes of 8-15Mb photos taken on smarphone cameras, but it's relatively trivial to apply server side scaling of images / thumbnail creation (again, I've been doing that since at least 2002 on a website I managed at the time) post-upload which from a purely user-focussed perspective it would make sense for the board to utlise)

On the EPG issue though I do believe it is a bug. The EPG should show that the programme is scheduled to be recorded, and indicate to the user at the most obvious point that the programme will be recorded. If I was my father, my wife, my uncle using this device they would see an EPG which suggested a programme that they wanted to record had no "record" marker against it. They would then try to get it to record, and on screen they would get no message at all to say that it is already scheduled, and the EPG would continue to show no R marker against it.

I understand (moderately) how the CRID's work, but the absence of any UI display of the recording is most definitely a bug. The same programme shouldn't be displayed (as below, I've complied with the ridiculous file size restrictions ) showing two different status when clicked through from different views. As a user, that is confusing and should be coded around. If the absence of an "R" is common to all Freeview Play EPGs then this isn't an Aura bug, but if other FreeviewPlay devices handle this correctly then I'd say it was most definitely a bug.

Attachments

1. Small_IMG_20210101_175931294.jpg (51 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Small_IMG_20210101_175900658.jpg (53.4 KB, 2 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 2 Jan 2021 21:38:06 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

MattB1

I've seen exactly the same thing with other programs. You look in the Guide and it doesn't show the Recording icon to say a program will be recorded, but when you look in the Scheduled list, it shows the program. Thought I was going mad when first saw it, but have seen it a few times now.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 22:19:20 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

It happens (and always has) on the fvp-4000t too.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 22:42:08 #5 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

It's a known bug also CRID related especially on Channel 5 -HD for the same episode Be recorded twice at the same time. you need to select the text view of the recordings cannot tell anything from the icons.

Attachments

1. Two-Neighbours-todat.jpg (133.3 KB, 11 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 2 Jan 2021 22:42:39 #6 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

SSThing - 3 mins ago  » 
    It happens (and always has) on the fvp-4000t too.

Same reason but the Aura does not have it. But on channel 5 it can record the same episode twice at the same time. The OP's view does not show the required data.

At the top of the recordings list you can switch between the icons view and the text view.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 22:49:43 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

My issue is that the EPG itself doesn't show the R icon, and it should.

The images I've shared also to demonstrate that going into the programme text view from the EPG strongly implies that the programme is NOT set to record (i.e. the Record option remains available, though using it appears to the user to do nothing), but viewing it from the more cumbersome Scheduled Recordings view shows a practically identical page but does show that the specific programme will be recorded.

That to me looks like a bug, as well as the fact that the EPG doesn't show the R icon.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 22:54:14 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

Btw I really like the Aura, this was the first thing that really irked my wife and confused her, hence the posting.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 23:02:31 #9 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

larkim - 20 mins ago  » 
    My issue is that the EPG itself doesn't show the R icon, and it should.
    The images I've shared also to demonstrate that going into the programme text view from the EPG strongly implies that the programme is NOT set to record (i.e. the Record option remains available, though using it appears to the user to do nothing), but viewing it from the more cumbersome Scheduled Recordings view shows a practically identical page but does show that the specific programme will be recorded.
    That to me looks like a bug, as well as the fact that the EPG doesn't show the R icon.

What firmware version do you have, That is a bug already fixed.

FVP settings - Freeview Play preferences - Scroll to System Info information and press OK.

Post application version

Firmware Version

System ID

Also post the box serial number on the box it came in.

Update Date.

| Sat 2 Jan 2021 23:27:20 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.