My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Signal Quality Issues

(13 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

I mentioned in a previous member's thread (HERE) the problems that I was having with the picture freezing & breaking up on certain channels. I had already gone down the route of trying to solve the issue by reducing the signal strength with an attenuator but this hasn't helped.
    I followed "Mars & Paul Bton's" advice regarding the fluctuation in Quality levels & contacted Humax regarding the issues.

The initial response was:

"Thank you for contacting Humax, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your Humax equipment.

We will likely be looking at replacing your unit but before we do that can you help me with a couple of questions please

1) Can you please advise which channels seem to be experiencing the issue most?
    2) Does it seem to happen at specific times?
    3) Can you confirm what version of Firmware your box is on - should be 9.21"

I replied with the information requested & confirming that I was on V9.21.

Received this in reply today:

"Replacement of the unit is one possible option if we can isolate the box as the cause of the issue. The best way to do that would be to try the box on a different aerial to see if it does the same thing if at all possible.

The reason I am suggesting this as the box rarely if ever is responsible for loss of quality as that figure refers to the quality of the signal being received by the box. It is possible yes that it is the box causing this but also it would be more likely to be something signal or connection/aerial related."

My question is.
    Is it likely to be a problem with my TV Antenna when I have four televisions & a Humax Youview box in the house all connected to the same antenna & they suffer no issues with picture breakup whatsoever?
    The only issues are with the Aura box.

| Fri 10 Sep 2021 14:42:51 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

Hi
    Have you looked at this thread Here
    User Havenview came up with a procedure to replicate a fault he was having. I was having the same issues (break up on certain muxes). At first the quality reports good then over time fluctuates causing breakups.
    I spent several days documenting the times and how long it took before breakup.
    I too tried an attenuator and it had no effect.
    I provided this along with Havenviews procedure and support offered to exchange my unit.

Since the exchange my unit has been fine. So if your experiencing the exact same problem and use Havenviews procedure I would suggest it is the Aura.

| Fri 10 Sep 2021 22:11:29 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

Many thanks for the info Dan, very interesting.

| Tue 14 Sep 2021 12:47:28 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

Dan_in_stoke - 4 days ago  » 
    Hi
    Have you looked at this thread Here
    User Havenview came up with a procedure to replicate a fault he was having. I was having the same issues (break up on certain muxes). At first the quality reports good then over time fluctuates causing breakups.
    I spent several days documenting the times and how long it took before breakup.

Many thanks for your reply.
    Today I tried the method that Havenview suggests.
    Before restarting the Aura the channel was breaking up & freezing but after the restart I left the unit running for several hours without any noticeable picture issues whatsoever.
    I will pass this on to Humax as you did & see what their reply is.

| Wed 15 Sep 2021 17:51:54 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

Humax have finally agreed to replace the box, it will be interesting to see if the new box solves the issues.

I would like to thank the members of this forum that gave me advice.

| Fri 24 Sep 2021 14:30:01 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dan_in_stoke

Asus1964 - 1 day ago  » 
    Humax have finally agreed to replace the box, it will be interesting to see if the new box solves the issues.
    I would like to thank the members of this forum that gave me advice.

Great to hear. Post back and let everyone know how it goes. The more times people report the results the more it gives credence to there being a problem with some Aura units.

| Sat 25 Sep 2021 18:28:29 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

It's been over a month now since Humax replaced my Aura box.
    My conclusion is that it's better, not perfect but better.

I'm still experiencing some pixelation issues on channels like Yesterday along with the fluctuating quality levels. But overall it's watchable & better than the first box. Not really what I would expect from a high cost premium product though.

Maybe it's time to try a new antenna as originally suggested by Humax, but with a signal strength of around 100% available before attenuation I'm not sure what that would achieve.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 11:00:39 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Asus1964 - 6 mins ago  » 
    I'm still experiencing some pixelation issues on channels like Yesterday along with the fluctuating quality levels. But overall it's watchable & better than the first box. Not really what I would expect from a high cost premium product though.
    Maybe it's time to try a new antenna as originally suggested by Humax, but with a signal strength of around 100% available before attenuation I'm not sure what that would achieve.

Well you clearly haven't taken notice of the advice given (that is repeated in this forum many, many, many times).
    Signal strength of around 100% is the reason for a lot of users issues. Attenuation of the strength down whilst maintaining a quality of 100% is what you should be trying. And not just down to an arbitrary 85% strength (as some posters and Humax suggest). That level may still be too high, you need to tweak it to suit your individual setup.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 11:15:06 #8 |
  9. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Asus1964 - 11 mins ago  » 

I'm glad that things have improved. I'm engaged with Humax doing some field testing to isolate and hopefully resolve this issue so if you don't mind me asking, which transmitter are you using? Thanks.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 11:17:23 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

I'm in Stockport & using the transmitter on Winterhill in Lancashire.
    I can actually see the transmitter from the roof of my property.

| Thu 4 Nov 2021 16:18:23 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.