My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Switch between radio & TV channels

(23 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

BLL

I have recently updated from a Foxsat HDR to an 1100S - what a disaster!!
    On the Foxsat's remote, there was a TV/Radio button, which allowed one to switch from a radio channel to a TV channel and vice-versa. This button has disappeared from the 1100S. The only way I have found to duplicate this SINGLE button press is to:
    Press TV Guide
    Press List
    Scroll to Radio
    Press OK
    Scroll to the radio channel you want
    5 button operations, instead of 1!
    Is there a simpler way? If so, I haven't found it in the very poor manual.
    Talk about reverse progress!!

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 18:01:05 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

There is no simpler way. You can although go into the Guide and key the channel number if you know it.

| Sat 15 Apr 2017 18:17:12 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

BLL

Hi, Thanks for the reply. So, Humax has made what was a single button press multiple ones! Negative progress!
    What a shame that they didn't stick with the Foxsat software and enhanced it, instead of this over complicated offering.
    Having programmed for over 30 years, the overriding goal should be to implement the software so as to as easy as possible for the user. The designer of this failed completely.

| Sun 16 Apr 2017 8:55:16 #3 |
  4. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

The design of all The G2 units 8user interface was done by freesat rather than Humax.

| Sun 16 Apr 2017 9:25:29 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

BLL - 1 hour ago  » ...Humax has made what was a single button press multiple ones...

I've used lots of FTA satellite PVRs and every one had a TV/Radio button. I'm wondering if Freesat perhaps don't want users easily straying from their mainstream offering of TV channels.

| Sun 16 Apr 2017 10:36:29 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

BLL

Not sure what you mean by G2 units

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 8:58:32 #6 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

BLL - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Not sure what you mean by G2 units

The latest freesat units, HDR1***S and HB1***S

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 9:14:23 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

BLL

OK, thanks for that.
    I am amazed that Humax thinks so little of its customers, that it is prepared to use such crappy software from Freesat on its products!
    Freesat needs to sack its programmers and replace them with good ones!

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 18:58:36 #8 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BLL - 16 minutes ago  » 
    OK, thanks for that.
    I am amazed that Humax thinks so little of its customers, that it is prepared to use such crappy software from Freesat on its products!
    Freesat needs to sack its programmers and replace them with good ones!

Though there are many questionable design decisions in the 2nd generation Freesat UI the lack of a Radio/TV button is such a trivial inconvenience I rather think your post is totally OTT :-). All you have to do is tap 700 (7 and Zero) as fast as you can push the two buttons, while in the epg (which takes far less than a second and is near instantaneous) to move to the radio section of the epg. In fact I suspect most would take far longer to locate the Radio/TV button if it was on the remote.

This was also by far the fastest way to select radio on the first generation Humax Freesat boxes (Foxsat-HD and Foxsat-HDR).

If you want to be taken seriously you need to actually try the suggested way to access the radio channel epg. The same approach while viewing live tv also moves instantly to BBC Radio 1. (700 Guide is pretty fast).

I take it from your post you haven't actually tried it ?

For those that use a programmeable remote attaching a macro to button labelled radio and sending 700 would do the same in both epg and live TV.

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 19:24:06 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

BLL

No, I don't think it's OTT as you put it.
    It's not just the inconvenience of no radio/TV button! Having to remember the channel number and use that shouldn't be necessary! Adding to favourites, for example is too long winded. At the moment, the OK button does nothing when on a channel, so why couldn't this bring up favourites and allow add or delete. On some of the horizontal scrolls, there are hidden items off the right of the screen with no indication they exist! Some of the flyover helps are either wrong or unclear. The info button used to give the signal strength & quality, which was useful when checking channels. Now, it's only in settings and when in settings, you can't change channels without backing out of settings every time.
    This software hasn't been written with ease of use in mind. Compared with the Foxsat's (which I presume was Humax), there is no comparison!

Progress should make things easier to use, not more difficult! Good programming does this; poor programming does not!

| Mon 17 Apr 2017 21:00:27 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.