My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Switch between radio & TV channels

(23 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

It is not a question of good or poor programming. It is the design of the user interface which as done by freesat. Humax programmed it according to freesat's specification.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 9:34:59 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

REPASSAC - 38 minutes ago  » ... Humax programmed it according to freesat's specification.

You know that to be the case, rather than, say, a third party commissioned by Freesat? If it was indeed Humax then it was them that programmed all the bugs that were present at launch, and those that appeared post-launch and throughout the first two years. Ergo, poor programming. I'm certain that Freesat did not design the UI to be buggy, which it certainly was. Remember at launch the box would not respond to the first set recording of the day unless it had been previously switched on? Design or programming?

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 10:19:04 #12 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

BLL - 12 hours ago  » 
    No, I don't think it's OTT as you put it.
    It's not just the inconvenience of no radio/TV button! Having to remember the channel number and use that shouldn't be necessary! Adding to favourites, for example is too long winded. At the moment, the OK button does nothing when on a channel, so why couldn't this bring up favourites and allow add or delete. On some of the horizontal scrolls, there are hidden items off the right of the screen with no indication they exist! Some of the flyover helps are either wrong or unclear. The info button used to give the signal strength & quality, which was useful when checking channels. Now, it's only in settings and when in settings, you can't change channels without backing out of settings every time.
    This software hasn't been written with ease of use in mind. Compared with the Foxsat's (which I presume was Humax), there is no comparison!
    Progress should make things easier to use, not more difficult! Good programming does this; poor programming does not!

You only have to remember 700, entering this has the same effect as the TV/Radio switch displaying the first radio channel. For heavens sake I am 72 and don't have any problems. Talk about a storm in a tea cup, get a sense of proportion. If you aren't prepared to even try out the suggestion (which you asked for in your OP), why should we waste our time trying to help ?

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 10:23:36 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » ...I suspect most would take far longer to locate the Radio/TV button if it was on the remote...

On every FTA receiver I have used that button is located on the top or second row of the R/C and is clearly marked "TV/Radio" or appropriate symbols. I've never had any difficulty finding it (I'm 71). Do get a sense of proportion Graham As a minimum please stop venting bile at those that criticise your favourite toy.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 10:36:43 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Reffub

special member

Pollensa1946 - 16 minutes ago  » 

REPASSAC - 38 minutes ago  » ... Humax programmed it according to freesat's specification.

You know that to be the case, rather than, say, a third party commissioned by Freesat? If it was indeed Humax then it was them that programmed all the bugs that were present at launch, and those that appeared post-launch and throughout the first two years. Ergo, poor programming. I'm certain that Freesat did not design the UI to be buggy, which it certainly was. Remember at launch the box would not respond to the first set recording of the day unless it had been previously switched on? Design or programming?

It is common knowledge that Freesat got a third party to design and program the UI, then they voluntarily parted company with Freesat not that long after the 1000s was launched, (fed up with the moaning from users I think). Humax just needed to get it working correctly with their box software and hardware, easier said than done.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 10:51:33 #15 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 23 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 14 hours ago  » ...I suspect most would take far longer to locate the Radio/TV button if it was on the remote...

On every FTA receiver I have used that button is located on the top or second row of the R/C and is clearly marked "TV/Radio" or appropriate symbols. I've never had any difficulty finding it (I'm 71). Do get a sense of proportion Graham As a minimum please stop venting bile at those that criticise your favourite toy.

I have on many occasions criticised many of the foibles of the UI on the G2 models. Never felt the need to worry about switching between radio and TV compared to the others it's totally trivial. As I said get a sense of proportion there are many other things I reckon Freesat should sort out first. Take the ridiculous and inconsistant order that programmes are ordered in the media list display as an example.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 11:04:47 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Reffub - 10 minutes ago  » ...It is common knowledge that Freesat got a third party to design and program the UI...

Yes, that matches my understanding of the development history. Freesat stupidly thought they knew how to project manage development of a PVR. Humax foolishly thought this business model would benefit them. The years I spent in programming I lost count of the number of execs who would regularly say "I did some programming as part of my Economics and Marketing degree, how hard can it be".

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 11:08:53 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

grahamlthompson - 8 minutes ago  » ...there are many other things I reckon Freesat should sort out first...

If it were the case that all of the user complaints had been categorised, sorted and prioritised and were actually being addressed by Humax/Freesat then nothing need be dismissed as trivial. There are user complaints, like yours, that date back years. The fact that they have quietly abandoned the UI is the real issue.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 11:19:15 #18 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 19 minutes ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 8 minutes ago  » ...there are many other things I reckon Freesat should sort out first...

If it were the case that all of the user complaints had been categorised, sorted and prioritised and were actually being addressed by Humax/Freesat then nothing need be dismissed as trivial. There are user complaints, like yours, that date back years. The fact that they have quietly abandoned the UI is the real issue.

How can a missing button on a remote be considered a software issue ? At the very least a new remote would be needed for everyone with the original . Does anyone use a g2 box with a remote with the button ? If so does it work ?

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 11:40:47 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

I don't recall categorising it as a s/w issue as such. It would certainly need s/w changes to support routing and displaying the UI in response to a specific code being received, and of course an updated R/C. My point was that Freesat/Humax are apparently no longer appraising any user requests with regard to the UI or R/C, and any request has equal merit until it has been prioritised alongside all the others. I recall some years ago the guy that admins the JoinFreesat site claimed to have an insiders route to one of the top Freesat execs and compiled a list of user requests which he intended to present to that exec for action. He received many inputs but the effort was quietly abandoned with no feedback. I have many other media devices for which there are very active forums managed by the developers, who appraise every request and give feedback in various forms... 1) Yes we will do this in the next release. 2) Low priority, maybe in the future. 3) Don't plan to do this. Freesat themselves had a forum not unlike this but abandoned it because of the volume of user criticism, which they percieved as harming the brand. I for one have no plan to ever again purchase another Humax product until it has been in the market for at least two years and widely applauded. If there were real competition in the form of a very good Freesat-type PVR Humax may well be dead.

| Tue 18 Apr 2017 12:17:11 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.