My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » YouView DTR-T

T2000 sudden menu style change.

(114 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

dhumaxt

If the new UI resides in the cloud how is it present without an Internet connection?

I did not ask for this "upgrade" nor do i want it. Nor do I want my Internet connection being swamped by YouView cloud activity.

Why as a customer should I have something imposed on me that I didn't want?

The problem can be easily resolved by restoring the look and feel of the old system with a choice for those who want it to select the new look.

Another chestnut for you "the customer is king"

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 19:10:53 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

dhumaxt - 44 minutes ago  » 
    If the new UI resides in the cloud how is it present without an Internet connection?
    I did not ask for this "upgrade" nor do i want it. Nor do I want my Internet connection being swamped by YouView cloud activity.
    The problem can be easily resolved by restoring the look and feel of the old system with a choice for those who want it to select the new look.

So as King customer take your business elsewhere, problem solved. You can be sure of one thing though, this new UI is not going to be rolled back just to suit you.

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 19:58:53 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Luke

special member

dhumaxt - 5 hours ago  » 
    I have already started to look for a replacemnent and its unlikely to be Humax or YouView.

dhumaxt - 5 hours ago  » 
    .. and ask thet YouView & Humax desist from changing the user interface in future without seeking my permission.

Humax aren't the ones in control here. The change was Youview's. Youview supplied their youview software to Humax. To comply with the box being a youview box this meant that Humax had to incorporate it with the software that Humax supply to you to control the hardware, (presumably after testing that it did not disrupt the software for Humax's hardware side of the box).

dhumaxt - 5 hours ago  » 
    I am struggling to see anything on the new menu's especially my recorded programs.

Me to. To scan view the new style recordings list you have to zigzag over the page resting your eyes on each tile. Then you have to recognise from the details if it is the recording you are after. With a plan text list this is far less brain power as all you need to do is scan down the list of titles. On the old style if you had reasonable eyesight this was easy as the whole title was usually displayed ansd it was easy to locate the row that matched what you were looking for, or for something to stand out as something you wanted to watch now. With the new style it is not as simple.
    There are some sight impaired individuals who will find the new format better but there are also some which won't.

I'm now forcing myself to try and use the new interface, despite having abandoned the old interface after a prevous couple of months attempting to use it instead of my other PVRs. I find some of aspects an improvement and others that although not an improvement could be improved without too much resistance. To me this is looking similar to a brand new model that needs a year for it to mature.

dhumaxt - 5 hours ago  » 
    Whole heartedly agree with "who do I sue for entering my house and vandalising my equipment?"

The youview software terms which someone must have accepted on your box include a statement that it is OK for Youview to update but this acceptance of future updates includes some exceptions. One of the exceptions is:
    "8.1.2 if the change does not have a detrimental effect on the Youview Service you are currently receiving;"
    A claim could revolve around that. (The "Youview Service" is defined as the "Youview software on the platform".)
    Another avenue is if you bought from a retailer and what the retailer was purporting to sell to you when you bought the box.

dhumaxt - 5 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know how to revert to old system?

Depending on the underlying changes to the box that occurred with the new version this may not be a simple case of reloading the old software. But in either situation it would involve Youview releasing the old version as a 'newer' version. Even if a USB update was possible I would not expect that to be acceptable to youview.

dhumaxt - 36 minutes ago  » 

Quite.
    Back in December there was even a review from what I consider an untrusted review source that stated that the software itself would be cloud based. After I read the review I knew what was in the cloud was the reviewer's head.

The cloud aspect is the ability to roll out additional cloud based features more easily because of the box's software use of HTML5.
    The new software does involve more cloud use. Now when ever you youview box displays the recordings, or the schedule, the associated picture will be downloaded. This will enable youview to identify more accurately what youview users are scheduling and what they still have recorded.
    Knowing what has been recorded /scheduled could enable tailoring of search results and also enable tailoring of the discover functionality (when it comes back). Both of these have always involved the 'cloud' as the 'cloud' decides what is displayed and its sequence/prominence on your TV screen.

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 20:31:39 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Guptar Smith

ex member

dhumaxt - 8 hours ago  » 
    I wish I had known about this before my box was destroyed. YouView and Humax will lose out if they dont offer customers ability to revert.
    I have already started to look for a replacemnent and its unlikely to be Humax or YouView.
    This "upgrade" is an absolute disaster, I am struggling to see anything on the new menu's especially my recorded programs. I want to restore to the previous menu system urgently and ask thet YouView & Humax desist from changing the user interface in future without seeking my permission.
    Whole heartedly agree with "who do I sue for entering my house and vandalising my equipment?"
    Does anyone know how to revert to old system?

Ditto. I too am looking for a replacement box. I've tried to put up with it but it's totally cack, and designed by a mutant. They can shove it up their Harris.

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 22:00:55 #24 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

1 post deleted.

Keep replies polite and in accordance with our T&C's

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 22:13:13 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Guptar Smith

ex member

Faust - 2 hours ago  » 

dhumaxt - 44 minutes ago  » 

So as King customer take your business elsewhere, problem solved. You can be sure of one thing though, this new UI is not going to be rolled back just to suit you.

Your post is less than helpful. What was the point of it? I totally agree6 with the person you tried to correct

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 22:31:26 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Your post is less than helpful. What was the point of it? I totally agree6 with the person you tried to correct

Why was it less then helpful? The poster has already decided he doesn't want the new system and has already confirmed he is looking for another PVR.

Therefore what is the point of his post, what is he trying to achieve? He's already posted about this on another forum and wouldn't listen to any of the answers from posters on that forum either.

What next a petition to Parliament? We get it's not for him and it may not be for me either when I get it. I do know that whether I like it or not Youview aren't going to go back to the drawing board and start all over again just to suit me.

| Sat 18 Mar 2017 23:35:15 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

dhumaxt

The point of my post is to convey my dissatisfaction with the "upgrade" in the forlorn hope that another upgrade to restore the former menu system might be forthcoming.

| Sun 19 Mar 2017 0:10:35 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

dhumaxt - 12 minutes ago  » 
    The point of my post is to convey my dissatisfaction with the "upgrade" in the forlorn hope that another upgrade to restore the former menu system might be forthcoming.

I think you have rightly identified it will be a forlorn hope.

| Sun 19 Mar 2017 0:23:54 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

This is the thing, you own the box and the hardware witin it. You don't own the software however.

I think you will find most of the manufacturers wil be/are transitioning to HTML5.

| Sun 19 Mar 2017 9:12:30 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.