My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Unable to pause live broadcast

(50 posts)
  1. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I suspect if you get a reply they will tell you to reformat the hard disk.

I had corruption of the buffer a long time ago - all buffer functions lost but no error message.
    A reformat fixed it - so it was a corrupt structure rather than a disk faulty block.

| Fri 26 Jan 2018 16:01:09 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

john664

grahamlthompson - 3 days ago  » 
    Other than deleting your recording schedule a factory reset does not affect your existing recordings. Photograph the schedule first using a digital camera.
    The recording partition is apparently encrypted so you can't access it on a PC which itself needs to be booted into Linux.

Not true - the recordings partition *can* be accessed in Linux.

See http://www.burningimage.net/humaxusb

You can quite easily copy all your recordings off the box onto another drive, then format the box and copy your recordings back on. Or, try and find the faulty timeshift buffer file and delete that such that the box recreates it.

| Mon 29 Jan 2018 21:28:16 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

Thanks for that, Andy.

| Tue 30 Jan 2018 11:07:52 #13 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

I have exactly the same issue with the time shift buffer and are not in a position to delete all the content on the drive.

If this type of corruption is possible it would seem sensible to include an overnight housekeeping job to check and reformat as necessary.

I'm happy to pull the disk out and run up a LINUX to investigate but I do feel sorry for those who are less tech savvy and are stuck with difficult choices.

| Tue 30 Jan 2018 12:24:48 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

For anyone interested in booting their Windows PC into Linux, here's a couple of links....

How to boot from Linux DVD

Download Linux ISO image

| Tue 30 Jan 2018 14:07:29 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

I remembered I had a spare 2TB AV HD that became available a couple of months ago when I upgraded something else. So I've stuck that in the Humax and, having formatted it, it is now pausing live broadcasts.

Currently, I'm backing up everything I recorded on the original HD and will copy them to the new disk.

I found I couldn't mount the old disk using a Linux virtual machine, something to do with USB3 I think. So I booted to Linux Mint from a USB stick and all is well.

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 14:43:23 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

HELP! I'm trying to copy the recordings to the new disk, but it says permission denied. When I look closer it tells me I'm not the owner. Does formatting with the latest firmware make the HD unwritable outside the box?

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 17:01:31 #17 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

wiggers - 2 minutes ago  » 
    HELP! I'm trying to copy the recordings to the new disk, but it says permission denied. When I look closer it tells me I'm not the owner. Does formatting with the latest firmware make the HD unwritable outside the box?

Guessing you need to use Sudo to get write permissions. It's been a while since I played with Linux.

https://www.linux.com/learn/linux-101-introduction-sudo

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 17:05:33 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

Ah yes, of course. Only problem now is that following an update to Linux Mint I now can't boot it!

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 17:30:26 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

wiggers

Finally, after rebuilding my Linux disk, I've managed to copy the old recordings onto the new disk. Turns out that in Linux Mint you simply right-click the folder and select Open as Root. Pausing live still works too, bonus!

Thanks for all your help chaps.

| Thu 1 Feb 2018 19:33:26 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.