My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

What's the best box?

(49 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

john1 - 3 minutes ago  » 
    perhaps it's time to let people with genuine questions and Queries to get some help from this forum.

Hear hear

To be honest the whinging posts are starting to become tiresome, and at times suspicious to say the least.

| Thu 4 Jan 2018 18:03:41 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » I currently have 235 recordings. To get from the top to the last took 8 seconds.

Then our experience of the recorded programs list is identical as I wrote: "And that [17 second] timing only holds true for the first few items in the "recorded programs" list. It takes an average of 25 seconds before the programs at the bottom of the list can be accessed and played".

The difference between 17 seconds (for the top programs) and 25 seconds (for the bottom programs) is the 8 seconds (give or take a second) accounted for by scrolling through the list.

john1 - 9 hours ago  » for someone who claims to actually like the box, but only submits post to moan about it, only proves that he made a mistake actually buying the box in the first place but won't accept it.
    my final question is Does he like it, or not ?

If I thought buying the 5000T was a mistake it would be a simple matter to return it Argos and get a complete refund.

I've been more than fair in my comments about the product's excellent reliability and picture quality. But that doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated when Barry (or you, for that matter) make specious excuses for its appalling and quite unnecessarily slow performance, which could and should have been cured by upgrading the 5000T's processor and memory before it was even put on sale.

Why ruin what could have been a really first-rate product for the sake of a few pounds? It makes no sense at all.

Barry - 9 hours ago  » 

To be honest the whinging posts are starting to become tiresome, and at times suspicious to say the least.

I'm sorry you find my occasional frustration "suspicious". My comments are simply the result of my daily usage of the 5000T and I go out of my way to be fair and objective. I haven't, for example, edited the gushing comments I initially made in the "First Impressions" thread when I was still in the honeymoon phase. And I've kept my observations "in the family" as it were, and resisted the temptation to air them on Amazon, where I'm a trusted reviewer. Why? Because as I've said, I was extremely well pleased with my previous Humax PVR and I wish the company well and want to see it succeed.

But that's also why I post the robust feedback that you characterise as "whinging". For years I wanted to upgrade my last PVR for a Freeview HD model, but all the existing Humax PVRs had such terrible reviews that I waited for what seemed like a brand new product - little realising that it was nothing more than a tarted-up 4000T under the bonnet.

That's the real reason for my frustration. With a little more testing, foresight and willingness to upgrade hardware, the 5000T could have been a killer product. It's such a missed opportunity and that's a very great shame indeed.

Maybe someone at Humax will hear my "whinges" and do better next time. I live in hope.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 4:11:18 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

I totally agree with this quote "... appalling and quite unnecessarily slow performance, which could and should have been cured by upgrading the 5000T's processor and memory before it was even put on sale…" from Marius.

I was prepared to ‘upgrade’ my 4000 to a 5000 if the reviews proved that speed improvements had been made, but it’s obvious they haven’t, therefore I will not change it until a proper upgraded model is released. If they had made speed improvements it would make all the additional key presses that need to be done and lack of an ‘i’ button more bearable.

As Marius has said I cannot faulty the picture quality and reliability of recordings and the 3rd tuner is brilliant, they just need to go back and take a long hard look at the fast & slick interface of the ‘older’ HDR-Fox T2.

Sorry if you think I am whinging too, but I think all of the above are not unreasonable. I have not known a newly released model of say a TV to have worse performance than the model it replaced. The same goes for cars, new models are always full of performance improvements so why should Humax be any different?

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 9:26:17 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

john1

special member

IF Marius really is a trusted reviewer on Amazon,
    He should know that in their terms, most of his remarks on here would not have been posted at all.
    So I give no credence to that point whatsoever.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 11:01:37 #14 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Marius - 6 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 10 hours ago  » I currently have 235 recordings. To get from the top to the last took 8 seconds.

Then our experience of the recorded programs list is identical as I wrote: "And that [17 second] timing only holds true for the first few items in the "recorded programs" list. It takes an average of 25 seconds before the programs at the bottom of the list can be accessed and played".
    The difference between 17 seconds (for the top programs) and 25 seconds (for the bottom programs) is the 8 seconds (give or take a second) accounted for by scrolling through the list.

john1 - 9 hours ago  » for someone who claims to actually like the box, but only submits post to moan about it, only proves that he made a mistake actually buying the box in the first place but won't accept it.
    my final question is Does he like it, or not ?

If I thought buying the 5000T was a mistake it would be a simple matter to return it Argos and get a complete refund.
    I've been more than fair in my comments about the product's excellent reliability and picture quality. But that doesn't mean that I don't get frustrated when Barry (or you, for that matter) make specious excuses for its appalling and quite unnecessarily slow performance, which could and should have been cured by upgrading the 5000T's processor and memory before it was even put on sale.
    Why ruin what could have been a really first-rate product for the sake of a few pounds? It makes no sense at all.

Barry - 9 hours ago  » 

I'm sorry you find my occasional frustration "suspicious". My comments are simply the result of my daily usage of the 5000T and I go out of my way to be fair and objective. I haven't, for example, edited the gushing comments I initially made in the "First Impressions" thread when I was still in the honeymoon phase. And I've kept my observations "in the family" as it were, and resisted the temptation to air them on Amazon, where I'm a trusted reviewer. Why? Because as I've said, I was extremely well pleased with my previous Humax PVR and I wish the company well and want to see it succeed.
    But that's also why I post the robust feedback that you characterise as "whinging". For years I wanted to upgrade my last PVR for a Freeview HD model, but all the existing Humax PVRs had such terrible reviews that I waited for what seemed like a brand new product - little realising that it was nothing more than a tarted-up 4000T under the bonnet.
    That's the real reason for my frustration. With a little more testing, foresight and willingness to upgrade hardware, the 5000T could have been a killer product. It's such a missed opportunity and that's a very great shame indeed.
    Maybe someone at Humax will hear my "whinges" and do better next time. I live in hope.

I takes me 8 seconds to repeatedly press the CH down key to get from the top of the recordings list to the bottom. It will of course take a lot longer one channel at a time which I suspect is what you are doing. It will of course take longer to read each page of the list, but that's down to you not the box response.

Same applies to the epg (You can immediately jump to any line by tapping in the channel number. The favourites on a Harmony remote makes the jump while in the epg.

Perhaps you should investigate the available shortcuts.

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 11:04:43 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Marius

grahamlthompson - 5 hours ago  » 
    I takes me 8 seconds to repeatedly press the CH down key to get from the top of the recordings list to the bottom. It will of course take a lot longer one channel at a time which I suspect is what you are doing. It will of course take longer to read each page of the list, but that's down to you not the box response.
    Same applies to the epg (You can immediately jump to any line by tapping in the channel number. The favourites on a Harmony remote makes the jump while in the epg.
    Perhaps you should investigate the available shortcuts.

With respect, graham, I think you've got hold of the wrong end of the stick.

I wrote: "The difference between 17 seconds (for the top programs) and 25 seconds (for the bottom programs) is the 8 seconds (give or take a second) accounted for by scrolling through the list."

I was agreeing with you that it takes 7 or 8 seconds to scroll from top to bottom of the recorded programs list.

And to achieve that speed I was of course using the page up/down button. It's not a function I use much on my PC which is why I was grateful to Barry for pointing it out to me in this post:

https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/playing-recorded-programmmes-in-the-5000t#post-62057

Harters - 7 hours ago  » 
    I totally agree with this quote "... appalling and quite unnecessarily slow performance, which could and should have been cured by upgrading the 5000T's processor and memory before it was even put on sale…" from Marius.

Many thanks for your support, Harters. I'm frankly astonished at the hostility aroused by this observation which is nothing more than simple common sense and in no way meant as a general attack on Humax as a company. I waited many years for Humax to bring out a new product precisely because I had such an high opinion of my last Humax PVR.

john1 - 6 hours ago  » 
    IF Marius really is a trusted reviewer on Amazon,
    He should know that in their terms, most of his remarks on here would not have been posted at all.
    So I give no credence to that point whatsoever.

I can't imagine which "remarks" you mean but even if that were true your observation is entirely devoid of logic.

Why would I feel bound or constrained by Amazon's "terms" when posting on a internet forum that has nothing whatever to do with Amazon?

| Fri 5 Jan 2018 17:17:50 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

Thanks to everyone for their comments so far. Clearly the operating speed of the 5000T is a controversial matter of debate but I am just going to assume that it is faster than my current T1000.

Could anyone vouch for the 5000T's ability to play media - actually just video really - from a NAS? Does it work straight out of the box and without constant tinkering? Does it baulk at playing MKV format?

I've seen quite a few references to the FOX T2 being a good box but it's an old piece of technology, isn't it? I think it does all the things I want - iplayer/DNLA etc - but surely it's not worth me buying something that will soon be obsolete?

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 0:07:50 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Harters

special member

sirdavy - 8 hours ago  » 
    Thanks to everyone for their comments so far. Clearly the operating speed of the 5000T is a controversial matter of debate but I am just going to assume that it is faster than my current T1000.
    Could anyone vouch for the 5000T's ability to play media - actually just video really - from a NAS? Does it work straight out of the box and without constant tinkering? Does it baulk at playing MKV format?
    I've seen quite a few references to the FOX T2 being a good box but it's an old piece of technology, isn't it? I think it does all the things I want - iplayer/DNLA etc - but surely it's not worth me buying something that will soon be obsolete?

I wouldnt assume anything about the 5000. My mother in law has a 2000 which I believe is the later version of the 1000 and that has the same slick interface as the HDR FOX-T2 and it therefore has a quicker interface than the 5000.

I have the 4000 and it plays video files of all different kinds from my iMac upstairs and it plays them perfectly without any kind of 'tinkering' I use powerline connectors for a stutty/lag free playback.

The HDR FOX-T2 maybe the older model and not and sale anymore, but its by no means obsolete. Unless you need the 3rd tuner and catch up services, the HDR FOX-T2 is a much better bet IMHO.

As I have said before, the 4000/5000 are good boxes, but are woefully underspecced performance wise.

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 9:10:43 #18 |
  9. Barry

Barry

senior admin

For the avoidance of any doubt.

2000 will be the HDR 2000T therefore freeview +

T1000 is YouView

FVP 4000/5000T is Freeview Play - new concept, no comparison with any other Humax unit.

Edit:

Had a quick look see at 5000T review ratings on a few high street outlets:

Argos - 4.5/5.0 stars

Currys - 8.5/10 stars

JL (looks to be out of stock now) - 4.5/5.0 stars

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 10:38:32 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mcmad

Not sure why you are keeping up the ridiculous position of not being able to compare the 4/5000T to earlier boxes other than because you know the position is indefensible.

Compared to the T2 (a PVR), the 4/5000T (a PVR which also does catchup tv) is slower, buggier and frankly barely fit for it's primary purpose in life - recording freeview to a hard disk. The only good point is the 3 tuners.

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 18:18:10 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.