My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » FVP 4000T, 5000T

What's the best box?

(49 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mcmad - 1 minute ago  » 
    Not sure why you are keeping up the ridiculous position of not being able to compare the 4/5000T to earlier boxes other than because you know the position is indefensible.
    Compared to the T2 (a PVR), the 4/5000T (a PVR which also does catchup tv) is slower, buggier and frankly barely fit for it's primary purpose in life - recording freeview to a hard disk. The only good point is the 3 tuners.

The only decent catch up a HDR-FOX-T2 does is iplayer and the response to the remote is very very slow. If you go too quickly it crashes the box. It also isn't HD it's 576p50.

The HDR-FOX-T2 is a excellent pvr especially with the CF ( I have 2 of them), it's not any good for catch up though.

The one thing I can say about my FVP-5000T is it's been 100% reliable in making recordings and the catch up services and Netflix are excellent.

The remote is weedy, the response to my Harmony and Hub is much much better.

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 18:26:08 #21 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Mcmad - 1 hour ago  » 
    Not sure why you are keeping up the ridiculous position of not being able to compare the 4/5000T to earlier boxes other than because you know the position is indefensible.

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 19:36:26 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Mcmad

roll your eyes all you want, it doesn't change the truth.

If I wanted something that was very good at catchup (which by all accounts the 4/5000T is apparantly), I wouldn;t spend £300 on one, I'd spend £50 or a Amazon Firestick or a kodi box.

I spent the £300 for a box to replace a T2 in the expectation that it would at least be as good as it, not become a Humax beta tester for their products.

| Mon 8 Jan 2018 20:39:36 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

martinbaines

I will add a +1 about the catchup on the device being a nice to have, not an essential.

I got a FVP-4000T about a year ago when my old Media Center PC finally gave up ghost as Microsoft have given up on Media Center. I briefly considered running Kodi (in fact I have used a RaspberryPi with XBMC, later Kodi before) but decided I wanted a simple "wife ready" device I did not actually have to administer. I chose the Humax as a friend was a big fan of their earlier models and especially because it had 3 tuners (I actually had had 4 on my old Media Center), and had a decent sized disc (2Tb). The Freeview Play catchup stuff was a nice to have, but frankly there is a better set of Apps on my SmartTV, on my Amazon Fire Stick, and NowTV box. Since the Humax has major misses in online services supported (no Amazon, no NowTV, no Plex, cannot act as target for Casting from phone), really all it does is add more confusion than anything (which version of iPlayer and I using, with which remote control?).

I find the UI of the Humax both slow and poorly designed. I won't rehearse all the issues again, they are well documented here. I also find it less reliable than I would expect from a consumer device - recordings sometimes do not happen for no obvious reason, it reboots randomly, and has just lost recordings: all problems you will see mentioned here in the forums. It is slightly better in reliability than my old Media Center - but only just, and that is compared to software that stopped being properly supported about 5 years ago.

My dream PVR is actually pretty simple - just work reliably as a PVR, have at least 3 tuners, a large disc, a UI that is as well designed as on a Sky+, SkyQ or even the just the old Microsoft Media Center, and for a real dream one that supports CEC properly (not just for power), so I don't need yet another remote control. Catch up and other apps are nice to have, but frankly if you can't match the apps on my SmartTV don't bother.

| Tue 9 Jan 2018 14:26:03 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

sirdavy

I bought the 5000T and having used it for a few days I am largely happy with it. Bearing in mind that I've come from a very slow T1000 and I haven't used it to record anything yet this is what I like:

- It connected to my NAS without having to do anything at all - it was just there.
    Because it can connect to the NAS - as my TV does - it has reduced the number of remote controls to just ONE.
    - Iplayer works and is quick to navigate.
    - Switching between the apps/media player is quick and intuitive.

And this is what I don't like:
    - The media on my NAS is displayed as unhelpfully large icons, I'd rather it was a List View so that I can read the while of the folder name.
    - It won't simply switch to another channel when you are watching TV. If you want to turn to another programme you have to select Guide, select Channel, select Programme, then from another screen featuring a summary of the programme you select the programme. This is appalling. Pretty sure it would have been quicker in the 1950s to get up from your sofa and retune to a different channel than it is with this box.

If anyone has any tips on fixing those last two things I'd love to hear them.

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 10:45:55 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

You can change to any channel while watching live by simply tapping in the channel number. eg 103 takes you to viewing ITV-HD. Same works in the epg by jumping to the epg line at the current date and time.

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 11:16:57 #26 |
  7. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Are you saying you cannot change channel by simply pressing the CH up/down button or entering the channel number required on the remote keypad?

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 11:18:43 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Volkswagen

It's fascinating reading all these comments as someone who's vacillating at the moment whether to spend my money on a 5000t. My current Fox T2 is excellent but new gear excites me though my partner does not share the same enthusiasm especially if she can't easily navigate or come to terms with a different interface.
    Not automatically putting recordings into folders seems a retrograde step though.
    Still can't source a genuine RM-L08 control if I buy a 5000t. We both like to have a remote control each.

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 12:13:11 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Volkswagen - 3 minutes ago  » 
    It's fascinating reading all these comments as someone who's vacillating at the moment whether to spend my money on a 5000t. My current Fox T2 is excellent but new gear excites me though my partner does not share the same enthusiasm especially if she can't easily navigate or come to terms with a different interface.
    Not automatically putting recordings into folders seems a retrograde step though.
    Still can't source a genuine RM-L08 control if I buy a 5000t. We both like to have a remote control each.

Series recordings are put into folders automatically. The 5000T works with the Logitech Harmony remote controls (The Harmony remote actually works from further away than the original remote).

Series recordings work in the same way as a HDR-FOX-T2 but the new box lacks the capability to create your own folders.

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 12:19:02 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

mlavende

Not quite the same way since you cannot add things to folders either. e.g. I recorded all the christmas University Challenges and want to put them in the same folder as the normal University Challenges. Can't do it can I? They are stuck in their own folder.

And don't get me started about how the newest one is automatically selected rather than the oldest!

-Mat

| Wed 31 Jan 2018 13:05:45 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.