My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura and Sonos.

(50 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Further update just received from Humax Towers:

We apologize for your inconvenience, and can confirm a software update is necessary to solve the situation.

In summary:

• Audio for Freeview HD channel is AAC (2.0 or 5.1)
    • Aura provides PCM 5.1 for AAC multi-channel, if MS-12 transcoding option is off.
    • But if a user uses ARC (not eARC) or S/PDIF, PCM multi-channel is not supported due to the limited bandwidth - Probably this is the case of Sonos Beam, and it is our mistake to miss it.
    • As PCM 5.1 is in general better output, we’ll keep it as default operation, but will provide additional option to enable DD 5.1 transcoding,.

For the time being,
    • Please use HDMI connection for Audio Devices instead of S/PDIF, whenever possible.
    • Recommended connection : Aura - (HDMI) - AVR - (HDMI) - TV, if it is supported.

| Tue 23 Feb 2021 22:47:24 #21 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Wheelmon - 1 day ago  » 
    It seems that with MS12 ON everything (incl SD and radio) comes out as a 'made up' 5.1 which only actually works with 5.1 transmitted programmes if you're using a surround sound system. Humax suggest this setting is used with just the TV on its own.
    The 'fault' lies with MS12 OFF (quote: "recommended when you use additional audio device"). Humax go on to say "..You can enjoy its original sound.....". This certainly is not happening as everything now comes out in Stereo 2.0 regardless of the transmitted format and when the transmission is DD 5.1 the volume drops considerably and the speech isn't 'right'. My tech knowledge is limited but shouldn't 'speech' frequencies be channelled separately?
    Hopefully Humax can see this but perhaps they need a nudge.

All the content including Video audio, audio description and subtitles etc is transmited within a container and is simply copied to the hard disk as is. It's the job of the tuner to extract the digital data for this channel from the mux.

When you replay a recording. The tuner is not needed it simply presents the complete data stream to the boxes mpeg decoders.

As far as the box is concerned it's a perfect replica of the original broadcast stream. Any of the options that were originally transmitted should be selectable exactly as if you were watching the original live broadcast.

If the original broadcast was from a HD channel then your TV may not be able to handle the Dolby Digital audio used by HD broadcasts.

SD channels use mpeg1 layer 2 audio. Changing the digital audio out option from surround to stereo should recode Dolby Digital your TV cannot cope with to mpeg 1 layer 2 audio.

A side effect is that the Aura box volume control will now control the volume.

| Tue 23 Feb 2021 22:53:18 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Thank you Barry and thank you Humax, I now have renewed hope. The Aura is so user friendly compared with the FVP5000T which I only kept for a few months.
    As Martin Liddle said earlier "if Humax continue to fix bugs for a while longer, then the Aura may well turn out to be the best box they have produced since the HDR-FOX T2". I've had quite a few Humax's over the years, until recently via BT, and have great faith.

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 2:30:43 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamY

Barry - 20 hours ago  » 
    We apologize for your inconvenience, and can confirm a software update is necessary to solve the situation.
    In summary:
    • Aura provides PCM 5.1 for AAC multi-channel, if MS-12 transcoding option is off.
    • But if a user uses ARC (not eARC) or S/PDIF, PCM multi-channel is not supported due to the limited bandwidth - Probably this is the case of Sonos Beam, and it is our mistake to miss it.
    • As PCM 5.1 is in general better output, we’ll keep it as default operation, but will provide additional option to enable DD 5.1 transcoding,.
    For the time being,
    • Please use HDMI connection for Audio Devices instead of S/PDIF, whenever possible.
    • Recommended connection : Aura - (HDMI) - AVR - (HDMI) - TV, if it is supported.

That is great news and indeed I am using ARC via HDMI to the TV and then to the receiver, but also tried SPDIF direct to the Onkyo receiver. I am happy to test a beta if that is possible.

Just one observation. I have been using Sky HD and now SkyQ for many years via HDMI ARC and never had any problems or bandwidth issues with 5.1 content. Indeed, with Aura and MS12 On, the 5.1 surround sound works fine via ARC.

Thanks
    Graham

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 18:57:15 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Graham, your last sentence prompted me to say that for the time being I'm using that setting, but when there's no 5.1 transmission I have "Digital Audio" set to Stereo for much clearer speech. This of course is the case most of the time. If however I am aware that I'm watching a 5.1 prog I can switch to "Surround" quite easily. Worth it if it's a film or such.

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 20:07:11 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamY

Wheelmon - 36 mins ago  » 
    Graham, your last sentence prompted me to say that for the time being I'm using that setting, but when there's no 5.1 transmission I have "Digital Audio" set to Stereo for much clearer speech. This of course is the case most of the time. If however I am aware that I'm watching a 5.1 prog I can switch to "Surround" quite easily. Worth it if it's a film or such.

Yes, I am doing the same until Humax Towers provide a fix

| Wed 24 Feb 2021 20:44:19 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

GrahamY

Barry - 2 days ago  » 
    In summary:
    For the time being,

I can confirm that when I stop using ARC and instead use Aura -> Onkyo -> TV then the surround sound works as expected and auto-switches. And even 2.0 sources, the central voice comes out the central speaker. The only downside with this configuration is that I now lose 4K (because the Onkyo receiver only works with HD) and also I now get more glitches (e.g. occassionally no sound or picture on power-on requiring reboot etc), So would like to go back to using ARC.

I would still like Humax to fix the underlying issue where the Aura does not auto switch between 2.0 and 5.1 when using ARC. This seems to work fine with all other sources. I have emailed Humax Support, but still received no response after three days. What is the best way of getting in touch with Humax?

Thanks
    Graham

| Fri 26 Feb 2021 17:13:34 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Just posting by way of an apology to grahamlthompson for not responding to your detailed post 23 Feb. Thankyou for that. It coincided with the report from Humax Towers. I have limited technical knowledge on the subject and have been piecing it together bit by bit.
    At the end of the day I really just need to know whether the Aura will ever be compatible with the Sonos 'Beam' system post Humax's proposed update. The same problem as that of Tommy1976 who started this thread.
    I had emailed Humax Support on 22nd of Feb but have not yet received a reply. I gave them a link to this forum so they probably won't reply directly.
    I now impatiently await the outcome with fingers crossed.

| Mon 1 Mar 2021 13:14:53 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

I have just seem a mention on another thread of a proposed public update release on or around the 19th May.
    Would this be a firmware update to include the addition of Dolby Digital 5.1 output with MS12 turned off? This was suggested by Humax Towers via Barry on 23rd Feb on this thread.

| Sat 8 May 2021 18:02:42 #29 |
  10. Mars

Mars

special member

Wheelmon - 4 mins ago  » 
    I have just seem a mention on another thread of a proposed public update release on or around the 19th May.
    Would this be a firmware update to include the addition of Dolby Digital 5.1 output with MS12 turned off? This was suggested by Humax Towers via Barry on 23rd Feb on this thread.

This post?
    https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/my-aura-issues-three-weeks-of-ownership#post-89287
    It was posted in April. The 12th April update was first expected in the week commencing the 19th April.

| Sat 8 May 2021 18:10:01 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.