Aura and Sonos.

(50 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

williamnorthiam

Thanks again Tommy

| Sun 30 Jan 2022 18:16:19 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

rbwind

Good afternoon, this is my first post and having just purchased an Aura 2TB I am trying to get something other than Stereo PCM from my sonos system whilst using the Aura.
    Reading the post below it says if using arc but I use earc from an lg Oled to a Sonos Arc, Sub and two One SL’s. I have been through each option on the audio output options and tried rebooting the box after each selection but nothing seems to change the sound output from Stereo PCM. I have also tried custom settings and turned MS-12 transcoding on and off but it makes no difference to the output on my Sonos. Can you tell me if doing something incorrectly or is it a case of awaiting a software update? On that note, are software updates applied automatically or do they have to be installed manually and if so where/how do I check what version I am on and how do I install the update?
    Apologies if this has been covered previously, and thanks in advance

Barry - 2 years ago  » 
    Further update just received from Humax Towers:
    We apologize for your inconvenience, and can confirm a software update is necessary to solve the situation.
    In summary:
    • Audio for Freeview HD channel is AAC (2.0 or 5.1)
    • Aura provides PCM 5.1 for AAC multi-channel, if MS-12 transcoding option is off.
    • But if a user uses ARC (not eARC) or S/PDIF, PCM multi-channel is not supported due to the limited bandwidth - Probably this is the case of Sonos Beam, and it is our mistake to miss it.
    • As PCM 5.1 is in general better output, we’ll keep it as default operation, but will provide additional option to enable DD 5.1 transcoding,.
    For the time being,
    • Please use HDMI connection for Audio Devices instead of S/PDIF, whenever possible.
    • Recommended connection : Aura - (HDMI) - AVR - (HDMI) - TV, if it is supported.

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 17:37:58 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tommy1976

Hello, most content is only in stereo, BBC sometimes show movies or sport content in 5.1, so it seems to be right.

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 17:53:32 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

You have just bought the Aura, don't expect any software updates, the last one was in August 2021,
    Humax have abandoned the Aura as an ongoing project. We just have to put up with its many little eccentricities.
    To check which version of software you are running press the Freeview button on the remote control, click on Settings on screen (cog) scroll down to Freeview Play Preferences> System Information.
    Firmware Version should be 00.09.21

Is the Aura connected to the TV, if so look in the TVs Sound settings to see if there is an Audio pass through mode,
    if not the TV may be mixing down the 5.1 channel broadcasts to 2.0 and sending it to the Sonos.

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:14:57 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

rbwind

Hello Tommy, thanks for the prompt reply, I don’t know if you’re familiar with the Sonos App. But when you open the app it tells you what sound format is playing through the system. When playing through the Aura it tells me that it’s broadcasting Stereo PCM but if I change the input to the TV (same channel) it tells me the output is Dolby Digital 2.0, (presumably they are different?). I mean to be fair it’s not a big deal as I’m only using it for recording channels/programs with adverts and as you say you rarely get 5.1 if at all on most channels, to maximise the capabilities of the Sonos eg Dolby Atmos I have to use streaming services anyway and would use those on my TV not the Aura.I was just trying to work out why the Dolby was not working. Thanks Rob

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:23:42 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

rbwind

Thanks for the info, I will check my software version. My TV is already set to Audio pass through, from memory I think I had to set it that way for the Sonos via earc. The Aura is connected to the TV via HDMI 3, I presume the HDMI channel selection isn’t a factor, I have an Xbox on HDMI 1 that I could swap round. Thanks Rob

VitaminD - 10 mins ago  » 
    You have just bought the Aura, don't expect any software updates, the last one was in August 2021,
    Humax have abandoned the Aura as an ongoing project. We just have to put up with its many little eccentricities.
    To check which version of software you are running press the Freeview button on the remote control, click on Settings on screen (cog) scroll down to Freeview Play Preferences> System Information.
    Firmware Version should be 00.09.21
    Is the Aura connected to the TV, if so look in the TVs Sound settings to see if there is an Audio pass through mode,
    if not the TV may be mixing down the 5.1 channel broadcasts to 2.0 and sending it to the Sonos.

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:31:52 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tommy1976

You’re very welcome, yes I use Sonos myself, to be honest with you Dolby digital 2.0 is compressed and PCM is uncompressed. This means that Dolby Digital audio is smaller in size and requires less storage space, but it also means that some of the audio quality is lost in the compression process. My tv does the same and goes to Dolby digital, so it seems ok.

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:32:29 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

rbwind

Thank you Tommy, sounds like it’s not worth worrying about then. Thought I might be missing some sound quality I didn’t realise about the compression you mentioned. Thanks Rob

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:40:29 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tommy1976

rbwind - 1 min ago  » 
    Thank you Tommy, sounds like it’s not worth worrying about then. Thought I might be missing some sound quality but apparently not thanks Rob

You’re welcome, have a great weekend.

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:42:58 #49 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

rbwind

Thank you, you too

| Fri 15 Dec 2023 18:56:05 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.