My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Beta Firmware dated 11.05.21

(85 posts)
  1. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Wheelmon - 15 hours ago  » 
    First thing for me to test was the new settings for audio output format. Up to now I've not been able to get Dolby Digital from Aura to TV to Sonos surround system (ie: Beam + a pair of One SL's).

Comment from programmer who also uses Sonos beam.

S/PDIF setup is correct one, the name of setting will be changed in future release.

| Mon 17 May 2021 13:26:15 #51 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

grahamlthompson - 18 mins ago  » 

Paul Bton - 10 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 min ago  » 
    Channels in the 800's means you have tuned channels from more than one transmitter almost certainly the cause of your problem. You need to identify which is your best transmitter. Identify the UHF frequency it uses for each MUX. Delete all radio and TV channels you have currently. Then Manually tune each MUX in turn Select DVB-T for SD and DVB-T2 for HD. You cannot use more than one transmitter as it screws up the broadcaster accurate recording capability. This of course will not bother a TV that is not a PVR.
    Surprised this did not create a problem with a FV--4000/5000T

I'm sorry but I can't accept your answer. The Humax 4000T asks which BBC area you are in after auto tuning. Then it puts the weaker BBC region in the 800s so In my case BBC 1 South. It then doesn't include the other duplicate weaker channels. It doesn't cause a problem for the 4000T so why is it a problem for the Aura? I don't want to 'Use more than one transmitter" but I can't blow up the IOW one. This has always been an issue as many people live within reach of more than one transmitter (my mother has a 4000T in Aylesbury and has to choose the Oxford transmitter over Bedford one). So I can't quite understand why ordinary people will be expected to carry put a complicated manual tune. That won't work as a consumer product.
    I am not the only one with signal strength and quality issues if you look at the signal strength/Software subject string. I do find it a bit annoying how we are told it is 'Our problem'.
    The Humax Aura is at fault for not dealing with this issue like every other Humax box generation before it. And no doubt it will be fixed with a firmware update. But why Humax haven't learnt from their own previous PVRs I can't understand.

Manual tuning is not complicated.

Not for you or I maybe, but the average user? But I still don't understand why you say having an additional weaker BBC 1 south from the IOW should cause problem? The Humax just puts them in the 800's and no problem usually. The plain fact is that being correctly tuned to my Whitehawk transmitter the channel 33 570000 kHz 8MHz I am getting variable signal quality on channels like Yesterday on the Humax Aura but not on the 4000T on the same aerial.

See attached screen shots 1st on Aura; 2nd on 4000T

Attachments

1. Humax_4000T_signal_test_IMG_2080.jpg (343 KB, 1 downloads) 2 years old
    2. Humax_aura_ch33_signal_test_IMG_2127.jpg (257.5 KB, 1 downloads) 2 years old
    | Mon 17 May 2021 13:32:32 #52 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Paul Bton - 51 mins ago  » 

Not for you or I maybe, but the average user?

Plenty of average users have performed manual tuning; I think it is quicker than automatic tuning once you understand it. However I do accept that manual tuning should not be necessary for all but the unusual cases.

| Mon 17 May 2021 14:26:38 #53 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Barry - 2 hours ago  » 

Wheelmon - 15 hours ago  » 
    First thing for me to test was the new settings for audio output format. Up to now I've not been able to get Dolby Digital from Aura to TV to Sonos surround system (ie: Beam + a pair of One SL's).

Comment from programmer who also uses Sonos beam.
    S/PDIF setup is correct one, the name of setting will be changed in future release.

Thank you Barry (and the programmer).
    One thing I noticed was that when the TV programme is in 2.0 and the Beam is receiving "Stereo PCM 2.0" , background sounds are noticeably coming from the rear speakers in 'surround' style.
    I may now justify treating myself to a new TV!

| Mon 17 May 2021 16:30:17 #54 |
  5. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

Martin Liddle - 2 hours ago  » 

Plenty of average users have performed manual tuning; I think it is quicker than automatic tuning once you understand it. However I do accept that manual tuning should not be necessary for all but the unusual cases.

Yes but the point is why is there such a SIGNAL QUALITY difference? That is why the Aura SD channels are breaking up. Lets not go down a manual tuning rabbit hole

| Mon 17 May 2021 16:35:43 #55 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Paul Bton - 1 hour ago  » 

Yes but the point is why is there such a SIGNAL QUALITY difference? That is why the Aura SD channels are breaking up. Lets not go down a manual tuning rabbit hole

I’d like to try one manual tuning just to compare. Could someone help with how you do it please?

| Mon 17 May 2021 17:54:30 #56 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShieldWolf

I'm not sure I've received this update. can someone help me how to get the system information page up please.

| Mon 17 May 2021 19:24:21 #57 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ShieldWolf - 40 mins ago  » 
    I'm not sure I've received this update. can someone help me how to get the system information page up please.

FVP button move to settings (cog icon) - OK Scroll down to Freeview Play Preferences - OK. Scroll down to System Information - OK

| Mon 17 May 2021 20:06:56 #58 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 3 hours ago  » 

Paul Bton - 1 hour ago  » 

I’d like to try one manual tuning just to compare. Could someone help with how you do it please?

Doing it is simple. To help you you need to provide the information I asked for previously in your post that admitted you knew you were receiving from more than one transmitter. And the followed that up with a post about how it must be the box as it works on your TV's on the same aerial.

You should find that you have duplicate channels on com 6 with numbers over 800.

A good start would be to tune to these in turn and make a note of the UHF channels used for each compared to those stored with the lower channel numbers and compare the signal info for both.

That should help to decide which transmitter gives you the best reception for your location. Bear in mind if you used autotune during a high pressure uplift you may be getting channels that under normal conditions are much weaker, and look at the signal test values. You should finish up with a table of best reception and UHF carrier used.

In some cases you might be able to temporarily use a attenuator set to a value that ignores the unwanted weaker channels and remove it after a autotune.

Autotune simply starts at the lowest UHF channel and works up to the highest. Once it finds a channel it allocates the lower LCN. If it finds a second it adds it again with LCN over 8oo incrementing eack lcn by 1 for each new one found.

Only if the best transmitter highest mux frequency is lower than the first of the unwanted second is it safe to delete the over 800's.

No problem on a TV. A PVR requires the broadcaster to transmit recording codes (CRIDS). So more than one recording set could find two recordings from different transmitters to schedule. If the unwanted ones or not in the epg the issue never arises.

| Mon 17 May 2021 21:09:03 #59 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

ShieldWolf - 12 hours ago  » 

No record of you opting into firmware updates.

You should have received the app updates as per This Post.

| Tue 18 May 2021 8:12:35 #60 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.