My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura Beta Firmware dated 11.05.21

(85 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bogbody

Just a quick question.... Do we have a date for the public firmware release?

| Wed 26 May 2021 20:55:56 #81 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

bogbody - 16 hours ago  » 
    Just a quick question.... Do we have a date for the public firmware release?

Not yet...

Just been advised of a new beta firmware to be tested so closing this thread now will open new thread when update available to open group of testers.

| Thu 27 May 2021 13:42:21 #82 |
  3. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Wheelmon - 1 day ago  » 

Barry - 1 week ago  » 

Wheelmon - 15 hours ago  » 
    First thing for me to test was the new settings for audio output format. Up to now I've not been able to get Dolby Digital from Aura to TV to Sonos surround system (ie: Beam + a pair of One SL's).

Comment from programmer who also uses Sonos beam.
    S/PDIF setup is correct one, the name of setting will be changed in future release.

Did I mention I had a new TV? Well just through curiosity I tried choosing Option: “Audio Output Setup” > “Home Cinema” (without MS12) instead of “SP/DIF” (with MS12) and it works fine with the new TV > Sonos Beam. I'm guess Barry (and the programmer) will not be surprised at this 'phenomenon'. But I thought it may be of interest to some. The TV must be doing the transcoding?
    If it's of any interest the TV supports ARC/eARC and Dolby Atmos. (probably nothing to do with anything).

Have received the following from the programmer for your info:

The main difference of MS12 On / Off option is handling DTT (Live TV) 5.1 channel sound.
    If MS12 on, the output will be Dolby Digital 5.1, otherwise the output is PCM 5.1.
    Sonos Beam supports only HDMI-ARC and not eARC, PCM 5.1 is not available with HDMI-ARC.
    So, with MS12 Off, 5.1 audio in live will become stereo sound.

Optical output (SPDIF) & HDMI-ARC supports up to 1.536 mb/s, which fits for PCM 2CH, 48KHz 16bit audio. (48000*16*2 = 1536000)
    With HDMI connection, up to 16 times of SPDIF bandwidth is supported, which means 24.576mb/s.

A brief description of major audio format bitrates :

Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM Stereo(2CH) : 1.536 mb/s
    Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD(HR) : 4 x Optical (4 x 1.536 mb/s)
    Dolby True HD, DTS-HD(MA), PCM 5.1 / 7.1 : 16 x Optical (16 x 1.536 mb/s)

If TV is connected to Sonos Beam via HDMI-ARC, and TV gets Dolby Digital Plus or TrueHD format from Aura, indeed TV will transcode it into Dolby Digital to make audio stream to fit into HDMI-ARC bandwidth, which is identical to Optical (of course with possible degradation of audio quality by transcoding).

HDMI-eARC supports same bandwidth as HDMI does, but TV can not transmit audio if TV does not support the format - for example, some(or most) TVs do not support DTS - a direct HDMI connection to audio device will be better configuration than HDMI-eARC, if it is supported by audio device.

| Thu 27 May 2021 20:06:48 #83 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Many thanks indeed Barry for the detailed explanation. My old TV apparently was not capable of transcoding to DD 5.1. It is just by chance that I upgraded my TV midstream and found that the new one did the business. It seems I now have the choice of which one does the transcoding - TV or MS12. In each case the Sonos app shows that it's receiving DD 5.1.
    Thanks again.

| Thu 27 May 2021 21:17:17 #84 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

New firmware now available for those testing.

This thread closed see new thread - link in a mo. https://myhumax.org/forum/topic/aura-beta-firmware-dated-270521-090919

| Thu 27 May 2021 21:23:13 #85 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.