1. Mars

Mars

special member

Gizmo247 - 8 hours ago  » 

Mars - 15 hours ago  » 

Barry - 37 mins ago  » 

Barry - 1 day ago  » 

Mars - 1 hour ago  » 
    Once again the red LED was on this morning when the Aura was in deep standby. Yesterday, I changed the deep standby settings to 11pm-8am after moving the Aura to the bedroom. Also, there was a recording during the deep standby period. I switched the Aura on this morning (it was in deep standby) and checked the settings then switched off. After the HDD spun down, the red LED went out as expected.

I'll set one of my units to same and monitor.

LED off this morning
    08:00 Booted to on - Blue LED
    08:02 Shut down to active standby - Red LED

The same here this morning. It does not happen every day.

The general release version does exactly the same. Mine has Deep Sleep turn off but found it this morning with the red light on and it did a boot strap start up when I turned it on.
    This seems to occur when you leave the Aura untouched for a number of days.

How can it do exactly the same if deep standby is switched off? The issue is whether the red LED is on (when switched off in settings) during deep standby.

| Sat 22 May 2021 8:44:28 #71 |
  2. davidrew

davidrew

special member

davidrew - 1 week ago  » 
    Updated yesterday all OK. Watched 4 HD programmes recorded since the update and all were fine apart from Neighbours on 5HD today (lunchtime) which had a single brief pixilation issue.
    Signal strength is constant 89% with 100% quality. Ethernet is currently hardwired LAN to test ethernet updates.
    Image capture attached with extracted video clip.
    Let me know if you need any additional information or files for diagnostic purposes.
    Video won't upload for some reason? Can be downloaded from here: Google Drive

An update:

Experienced some more pixilation/pause issues on CH5-HD so have finally bit the bullet and replaced the run of old brown coaxial cable from the loft (installed early 90's when the house was built) to the Humax with PF100 double screened cable. The whole run from the aerial to the Aura is now PF100.

The new cable has definitely reduced signal loss as I have had to wind back the variable attenuator more to the max -20db to reduce the signal strength off 100%.

Result: Two more pixilation/pause issues, one on an episode of Neighbours and the other Home & Away.

To test further I have now acquired a Humax HDR-Fox-T2 and looped this to the Aura RF-OUT with PF100 and set-up the programmes that cause the most issues to parallel record. I hopefully will then identify if its the signal or the Aura causing the issues by comparing the recordings when there is another pixilation/pause.

| Sat 22 May 2021 12:23:50 #72 |
  3. Mandrewch

Mandrewch

This update seemed to have fixed the problem I was having with no sound or vision on FVP. It's replaced it with an annoying glitch that causes play to start then screen and audio go off for a couple of seconds then restarts. I can live with this.

| Sun 23 May 2021 10:02:27 #73 |
  4. Mars

Mars

special member

Mandrewch - 8 hours ago  » 
    This update seemed to have fixed the problem I was having with no sound or vision on FVP. It's replaced it with an annoying glitch that causes play to start then screen and audio go off for a couple of seconds then restarts. I can live with this.

Sounds like Dynamic Refresh Rate Switching. You can adjust the settings if you go to Settings then Audio & Video.

| Sun 23 May 2021 18:21:03 #74 |
  5. davidrew

davidrew

special member

davidrew - 3 days ago  » 

davidrew - 1 week ago  » 
    Updated yesterday all OK. Watched 4 HD programmes recorded since the update and all were fine apart from Neighbours on 5HD today (lunchtime) which had a single brief pixilation issue.
    Signal strength is constant 89% with 100% quality. Ethernet is currently hardwired LAN to test ethernet updates.
    Let me know if you need any additional information or files for diagnostic purposes.

An update:
    Experienced some more pixilation/pause issues on CH5-HD so have finally bit the bullet and replaced the run of old brown coaxial cable from the loft (installed early 90's when the house was built) to the Humax with PF100 double screened cable. The whole run from the aerial to the Aura is now PF100.
    The new cable has definitely reduced signal loss as I have had to wind back the variable attenuator more to the max -20db to reduce the signal strength off 100%.
    Result: Two more pixilation/pause issues, one on an episode of Neighbours and the other Home & Away.
    To test further I have now acquired a Humax HDR-Fox-T2 and looped this to the Aura RF-OUT with PF100 and set-up the programmes that cause the most issues to parallel record. I hopefully will then identify if its the signal or the Aura causing the issues by comparing the recordings when there is another pixilation/pause.

I now have conclusive proof the AURA is at fault for the picture/sound break-up I'm seeing on recordings and not my new cabling or attenuator.

To reiterate the test HDR-Fox-T2 for parallel recording is connected to the AURA RF-OUT so both boxes are processing exactly the same signal data from the Oxford transmitter on CH47.

Two recording issues this evening. Bake Off The Professionals on CH4-HD had a pixilation issue which was not on the parallel HDR-Fox-T2 recording, and likewise a worse instance during EastEnders on BBC1-HD which I have captured and uploaded.

Clips on Google Drive Here (as upload to forum post not working):
    AURA: AURA Clip
    HDR-Fox-T2: HDR-Fox-T2 Clip

It's over to you Humax as I believe I have now tried everything in my power to diagnose and fix this.

| Wed 26 May 2021 0:22:13 #75 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

For comparison purposes only (this also applied before Beta update):

Aerial: Wall Socket > Aura > Humax DTRT2100 > New TV (Sony KD-43XH8505)
    Readings taken for BBC 4 HD, Channel 55 Winter Hill COM 7

Device Signal Strength/Quality
    Aura 26 100
    DTRT2100 46 100
    Sony TV 40 100

On Channel: 35 (BBC1HD)
    Aura 81 100
    DTRT2100 91 100
    Sony TV 93 100

The 26/100 reading for Aura Ch55 sometimes drops to 18 Strength with Quality jumping between 0 and 100. At the lower strength level pixilation occurs or no picture. At 26 it seems to be borderline.

With the above exception there have been no cases of pixilation since new TV installed 4 days ago.

In both examples the Aura has a lower signal strength than the others but only the first could be a problem in my particular case. It's not helped by the low output signal from Winter Hill COM 7 (again in my particular case). I can see the transmitter mast from my flat, about 3 miles away.

| Wed 26 May 2021 18:26:52 #76 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Barry - 1 week ago  » 

Wheelmon - 15 hours ago  » 
    First thing for me to test was the new settings for audio output format. Up to now I've not been able to get Dolby Digital from Aura to TV to Sonos surround system (ie: Beam + a pair of One SL's).

Comment from programmer who also uses Sonos beam.
    S/PDIF setup is correct one, the name of setting will be changed in future release.

Did I mention I had a new TV? Well just through curiosity I tried choosing Option: “Audio Output Setup” > “Home Cinema” (without MS12) instead of “SP/DIF” (with MS12) and it works fine with the new TV > Sonos Beam. I'm guess Barry (and the programmer) will not be surprised at this 'phenomenon'. But I thought it may be of interest to some. The TV must be doing the transcoding?
    If it's of any interest the TV supports ARC/eARC and Dolby Atmos. (probably nothing to do with anything).

| Wed 26 May 2021 18:35:36 #77 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

davidrew - 18 hours ago  » 

davidrew - 3 days ago  » 

davidrew - 1 week ago  » 

An update:

I now have conclusive proof the AURA is at fault for the picture/sound break-up I'm seeing on recordings and not my new cabling or attenuator.
    To reiterate the test HDR-Fox-T2 for parallel recording is connected to the AURA RF-OUT so both boxes are processing exactly the same signal data from the Oxford transmitter on CH47.
    Two recording issues this evening. Bake Off The Professionals on CH4-HD had a pixilation issue which was not on the parallel HDR-Fox-T2 recording, and likewise a worse instance during EastEnders on BBC1-HD which I have captured and uploaded.
    Clips on Google Drive Here (as upload to forum post not working):
    AURA: AURA Clip
    HDR-Fox-T2: HDR-Fox-T2 Clip
    It's over to you Humax as I believe I have now tried everything in my power to diagnose and fix this.

It seems you've done all you can reasonably do in the circumstances David.

Like yourself, I've been through the gamut of trying to eliminate possible causes of pixellation through cabling & attenuation, but it seems a sudden loss of signal causing pixellation is an issue for the Aura.

With many users experiencing the same issue at random, it points not to be an issue with end user's equipment or connectivity, especially as connected equipment is unaffected.

Yes, the Aura is a complicated bit of kit but if the weak link is the digital tuner within the unit, it's pretty much integral to it's purpose as a Freeview recorder & end users shouldn't really have to troubleshoot to the extent of replacing cabling.

You expect some teething problems with new equipment, but it would be good if Humax could offer an update on their view on at least a potential solution or perhaps answer a couple of questions along the lines of:

Do newly manufactured boxes still suffer from the same issues?

If not, has the internal hardware recently been changed?

I had a punt yesterday at a potential cause on the "picture breakup" thread yesterday, but I might be wide of the mark...

<quote>andyd1302 - 1 day ago  » 

technick - 9 hours ago  » 
    Although other TVs/STBs in my house are happy with DTT signal I get here, the Aura wasn't. I had ruled out any cable issues by swapping devices and cables around. I then put a amplifier on the Aura aerial input which has fixed picture/sound break up on affected SD channels.

Interesting you mention using an amplifier on the signal as that was my initial thought way back before Beta testing but I decided on the attenuator given it's a reasonably priced attempt at a solution.

The attenuator seemed to lessen the effects for a while (breakups have [i]never[i] been [i]fully[i] eradicated), but whilst switching on the unit the other night then scrolling up through channels to BBC1 HD to view a programme, BBC1 HD was virtually unwatchable due to the breakups in both picture and sound.

The unit was behaving itself for the Week prior to the latest set of glitches.

A soft reboot didn't help remedy the situation either, but bizarrely after soft rebooting [i]then[i] watching a previously recorded programme from the HDD [i]then[i] viewing BBC1 HD 'live', resulted in the picture being clear as a bell with no further glitches that viewing session.

Like I say, bizarre.

The issue seems [i]so[i] random & replacing cables seems excessive.

I wonder if it's an app update within part of the Aura's software that's causing the pixellation due to a bombardment of requirements placed on the RAM/ processing power of the box.

The reason I think this is the unit whilst updating has so much to do (downloading programme pictures, updating guides etc. when locked to the live TV feed), the allocated memory might be [i]so[i] maxed out pixellation is the end result.

All conjecture on my part of course, but the tricky bit for Humax if this [i]is[i] the case is pinning down [i]which[i] app or update is causing the nuisance.[i]

If an official update can be given though, it would be much appreciated.

There's a lot to like with the Aura, but it would be a shame for the performance of the units to fall down on one of the major selling points..

| Wed 26 May 2021 18:51:13 #78 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Wheelmon

Wheelmon - 31 mins ago  » 
    For comparison purposes only (this also applied before Beta update):
    Aerial: Wall Socket > Aura > Humax DTRT2100 > New TV (Sony KD-43XH8505)
    Readings taken for BBC 4 HD, Channel 55 Winter Hill COM 7
    Aura 26 100
    DTRT2100 46 100
    Sony TV 40 100
    On Channel: 35 (BBC1HD)
    Aura 81 100
    DTRT2100 91 100
    Sony TV 93 100
    The 26/100 reading for Aura Ch55 sometimes drops to 18 Strength with Quality jumping between 0 and 100. At the lower strength level pixilation occurs or no picture. At 26 it seems to be borderline.
    With the above exception there have been no cases of pixilation since new TV installed 4 days ago.
    In both examples the Aura has a lower signal strength than the others but only the first could be a problem in my particular case. It's not helped by the low output signal from Winter Hill COM 7 (again in my particular case). I can see the transmitter mast from my flat, about 3 miles away.

Examples of Signal Strength/ Quality didn't come out like I typed (ie alignment). Hope you can make sense of it!

| Wed 26 May 2021 19:01:23 #79 |
  10. mhargreaves

Mark Hargreaves

special member

Noticed something strange today. When I access itv hub through the apps page it works as usual and goes straight to its normal homepage. But when I access through recent apps it asks me for my postcode, like its forgotten my settings.

| Wed 26 May 2021 20:04:29 #80 |

RSS feed for this topic

Topic Closed

This topic has been closed to new replies.