My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

BBC iPlayer stereo only on UHD

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hess123

Hello, when viewing UHD programmes on BBC iPlayer I only receive stereo sound as decoded by my Denon 2800, this is via HDMI. I have spoken to HUMAX and have tried several settings but still no joy. When I run iPlayer on my LG OLED TV the Denon receives a Dolby Digital signal via optical. The Aura box works fine for with on air Dolby broadcasts. Anyone else experiencing this issue?

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 9:24:19 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

I don’t know what your TV is outputting but iPlayer is only stereo.

You must choose between 4K and stereo or HD/SD and Surround. So we only watch sport and documentaries on iPlayer.

Its not an Aura thing it’s an iPlayer thing.

I can’t believe Humax support don’t know this. Actually I can.

Edit – Just to clarify its not just 4K, all of iPlayer is stereo.

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 14:09:35 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hess123

Hello Dave, are you sure? I have tried feeding my LG TV into the Denon AVR and it delivers a Dolby Digital signal on most iPlayer UHD programmes

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 14:18:01 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

I would guess your TV is sending out Dolby Digital 2.0 or it’s doing some up conversion but iPlayer is definitely just stereo.

I have a Firestick and AppleTV and their forums also complain about the lack of surround on iPlayer.

This is one rumour as to why but I find this hard to believe.

“BBC made a conscious decision a couple of years ago to only stream iPlayer shows in stereo 2.0.

This was in response to the moaning about "mumbling" on BBC TV shows, with Jamaica Inn receiving 2000 complaints.”

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 14:31:47 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hess123

Thanks Dave, I really didn't know that, I wonder why the BBC don't publicise that?

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 15:08:05 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Dave480

Probably because

“Watch all episodes of Doctor Who on iPlayer but by the way its without surround sound that you could have had if you’d watched it live or recorded it”

Wouldn’t go down to well.

And the fact that there is surround on live TV makes me doubt the above rumour.

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 15:55:15 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

I too find it frustrating that iPlayer still does not handle 5.1. I think I read that the reason (excuse) was that most people did not have the hardware for 5.1 and don’t really care that it’s only stereo. I would disagree and if people enjoy 4K on iPlayer they want 5.1 too as they probably have the hardware. If they can broadcast it live with 5.1 why can’t iPlayer handle it? Is it a bandwidth issue?

| Thu 23 Nov 2023 17:03:26 #7 |
  8. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Also a bugbear for me. I watch Planet Earth III in 4k UHD for the stunning picture quality, but hate the lack of DD 5.1 which I know is on the terrestrial BBC One HD channel. For these types of programme, HD looks positively blury in comparison to 4k UHD. The BBC needs to drag itself into the 21st century.

| Fri 24 Nov 2023 13:31:20 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

Whilst the BBC may need to drag itself into the 21st Century re audio in UHD streaming, perhaps the likes of
    ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 could drag themselves into the 20th Century.

| Fri 24 Nov 2023 14:08:22 #9 |
  10. prking

prking

VitaminD - 23 hours ago  » 
    Whilst the BBC may need to drag itself into the 21st Century re audio in UHD streaming, perhaps the likes of
    ITV, Channel 4 and Channel 5 could drag themselves into the 20th Century.

Indeed, my own view is that the small percentage of people who watch in surround (which has seen a bit of a downturn in recent years as small screen viewing has increased) means many channels don't see the need.

The BBC as a public service broadcaster does at least make some effort.

Other streaming services offer select programming in 5.1 but I think there's only one service offering 7.1

Given that viewers with surround setups are likely to spend more then I think there's a gap in the market for a good quality 4K/8K streaming service with surround.

| Sat 25 Nov 2023 13:51:19 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.