My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Dolby Atmos/Dolby Digital plus - how to get?

(77 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

What TV do you have?

| Fri 22 Oct 2021 21:21:07 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

LG SK8500

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 12:02:15 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

OK, same brand as mine (LG55cx5lb) and I have only very recently (as in yesterday :oops:) discovered a couple of things that may apply to yours because I believe they run basically the same operating system.
    Despite being impressed with the image quality, I have been somewhat disappointed with the audio and thought that I had tried everything. But I have found that some setup options are not available unless you actually swap inputs (which is counterintuitive during initial setup).
    So have a look at this to see if it helps.
    Choose the hdmi input that is allocated to the Aura.
    Then, using LG remote :-
    Settings (cog)
    All settings (3 dots)
    Sound.
    Additional settings
    DTV audio setting to Auto.
    Now this is the one that has made a massive difference for me.
    Turn off eARC (otherwise the next option is greyed out).
    HDMI input audio format.
    Mine was Bitstream by default. I have changed to PCM and the audio is vastly improved (this option isn't available when watching live/apps directly on the TV).
    Then
    Digital sound out to passthrough.

Make sure eARC is reactivated.

Then swap to Live TV on the LG.

Settings.
    All settings.
    Connection.
    Make sure that Simplink is active because passthrough via eARC won't function correctly if this is turned off (it should automatically activate when you select Sound out /ARC) .

Using these settings my audio via the TV speakers is vastly improved and when I turn on my AV system, the system now (finally!) correctly recognises that I want to use the ARC function and when I select TV (on the amp) and then either Live TV or an app (YouTube/iPlayer etc) the audio is correctly routed through my speakers (I couldn't previously get any audio). My amp plays correctly Atmos from any source fed directly to it but doesn't switch to Atmos when playing the YouTube test files but I suspect that's because my amp is not eARC (but it may be that the YouTube videos aren't actually Atmos at all?).

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 14:00:41 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Apologies, I have only just noticed that you have already posted that YouTube Dolby tests are 2.0. That makes sense to the above post.
    I have only previously tested using my Android media box and a couple of test files that are saved on the hdd.

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 14:47:02 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

SSThing - 3 hours ago  » 
    OK, same brand as mine (LG55cx5lb) and I have only very recently (as in yesterday :oops:) discovered a couple of things that may apply to yours because I believe they run basically the same operating system.
    Despite being impressed with the image quality, I have been somewhat disappointed with the audio and thought that I had tried everything. But I have found that some setup options are not available unless you actually swap inputs (which is counterintuitive during initial setup).
    So have a look at this to see if it helps.
    Choose the hdmi input that is allocated to the Aura.
    Then, using LG remote :-
    Settings (cog)
    All settings (3 dots)
    Sound.
    Additional settings
    DTV audio setting to Auto.
    Now this is the one that has made a massive difference for me.
    Turn off eARC (otherwise the next option is greyed out).
    HDMI input audio format.
    Mine was Bitstream by default. I have changed to PCM and the audio is vastly improved (this option isn't available when watching live/apps directly on the TV).
    Then
    Digital sound out to passthrough.
    Make sure eARC is reactivated.
    Then swap to Live TV on the LG.
    Settings.
    All settings.
    Connection.
    Make sure that Simplink is active because passthrough via eARC won't function correctly if this is turned off (it should automatically activate when you select Sound out /ARC) .
    Using these settings my audio via the TV speakers is vastly improved and when I turn on my AV system, the system now (finally!) correctly recognises that I want to use the ARC function and when I select TV (on the amp) and then either Live TV or an app (YouTube/iPlayer etc) the audio is correctly routed through my speakers (I couldn't previously get any audio). My amp plays correctly Atmos from any source fed directly to it but doesn't switch to Atmos when playing the YouTube test files but I suspect that's because my amp is not eARC (but it may be that the YouTube videos aren't actually Atmos at all?).

I really do appreciate all the help but my LG only has Arc not eArc…so my options available are limited.

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 17:55:02 #25 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

I only mention eARC because on my TV the extra options are greyed out until you deactivate it.
    Do you have the options for bitstream/pcm?
    And, on mine, the Digital sound out/passthrough isn't obvious, it's off screen so you need to scroll down down.

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 18:16:32 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

SSThing - 22 mins ago  » 
    I only mention eARC because on my TV the extra options are greyed out until you deactivate it.
    Do you have the options for bitstream/pcm?
    And, on mine, the Digital sound out/passthrough isn't obvious, it's off screen so you need to scroll down down.

Again, options are limited. Digital sound out has only pcm or auto - there is no pass through option.

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 18:39:33 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Do you have anything like this? (click on the pic for full size)

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 19:52:28 #28 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

No, unfortunately I do not.

| Sat 23 Oct 2021 20:18:32 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

I contacted HUMAX about this and they want me to send my machine back and get a replacement!

I don't think that there's a fault here. But is there anyone out there using an AURA with a Sonos Beam (gen2) and getting Dolby Atmos output via BT Sport or maybe some other APP, e.g. Disney plus? If you are, which audio output setting are you using?

| Wed 3 Nov 2021 13:53:32 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.