My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Fragmented picture/lack of signal

(50 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Yes in my e mails to humax I mentioned havenviews finding and suggested possible software update. But no response as I think if software update could correct this they would have done this earlier as this problem must be costing them.
    If all goes well my aura will be changed over by courier at my address. Yes I will lose my recordings but won,t be without box.

| Thu 13 Jan 2022 19:02:30 #11 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

mgtr

I have run though havenviews test. My fragmented channel Drama was cured by a Reboot and then went bad again after moving channels. I do have a few channels that say "lack of signal" across the screen. I cannot resurrect them by a reboot. I have another problem in that the socket/cables are touchy. Moving them slightly freezes current channel on and off (other channels OK until I touch cables.) I cannot live with all this hassle, so email sent this AM. Humax have never answered my previous emails claiming 'lost' :((

| Fri 14 Jan 2022 11:54:40 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

I had no problem with contact by e mail
    Humax Customer Support <uksupport@humaxonline.co.uk>
    So don,t give up keep up the pressure. This is what they asked of me.

"Thank you for contacting Humax, I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're experiencing with your Humax equipment. I will need a signal reading from SD stations, press the Freeview / home button > settings > channel and broadcast > signal test, send me the strength and quality, in settings also go to Freeview play preferences > system settings > system information, send me the firmware version?"
    Then I had to do a manual retune at their request but got me nowhere as I knew it would.
    Good Luck lets hope all this hassle were having pays off in the long run?

| Fri 14 Jan 2022 12:19:34 #13 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

Worth reposting this, as it could be cross-interference during periods of high pressure (i. e. today)

A log periodic aerial pointing directly at the transmitter seems to be helpful in certain situations..

davidrew - 1 mnth ago  » 
    My personal findings are that the Aura does seem to have sensitive tuners in some signal situations. I do know, having had communication with Humax, that they are different to their previous models. I had a 5000T and had no issues apart from too much signal causing pixilation which I fixed with an attenuator. The Aura was a direct swap for the 5000T so I expected that the existing TV signal distribution would work. I am 14.3 miles from the nearest main transmitter with a clear line of sight. There are two other main transmitters, one at 35 miles (22 degrees different) and the other 61 miles (142 degrees different)
    My symptoms have been brief pixilation events (2 to 3 seconds) on HD channels. Signal wise I did have 100% quality and 100% strength on BBC1HD. I throttled this back to around 90% strength with an attenuator but could not go any further as Channel 55 (COM7) dropped off as it is transmitted at much lower power.
    After a lot of research, and evaluation of a second test Aura unit supplied by Humax, I came to the conclusion it must be something in the signal reception path upsetting the Aura.
    What finally seems to have fixed it for me was changing the aerial which is loft mounted. My original was a SLX Digidome omni-directional which went in to a powered Labgear distribution, this created a lot of signal boost (which was fine before analogue was switched off) so I originally removed the Labgear powered distribution, thinking reducing the boost would fix it, but this made no difference. As the SLX is Omni-directional I was also concerned about potential interference from the other transmitters and any other sources hence the decision to try a new aerial.I now have a Labgear 27885 Log-periodic aerial which is powered as it is still loft mounted. Log-periodic aerials are highly directional and have more constant characteristics over the frequency range, they are also a lot less prone to reflection interference. So far in 3 weeks I have not observed a single picture issue (I was seeing 4 or 5 a week on recordings) and the signal strength across all channels is much more consistent even on Channel 55 (COM7).
    From all my research finding the optimal set-up can be complicated and depends on many factors. For instance, a lot of installations have inappropriate aerials from when analogue was still being transmitted and digital was on much lower power and lots of high gain antenna were fitted. Another factor can be older Yagi aerials in the wrong group which can just pick up the local signal or a fringe one.
    My conclusion is that the Aura is not always to blame, it looks as if my signal reception kit was and, in the past, I might have just got away with it.

| Fri 14 Jan 2022 21:23:28 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Yes I did think of follow your lead ,with amp and new aerial in the loft which would have been easy for me to do ,but I live in a strong signal area so shouldn't have to do this.
    Ironically I got fed up of no channel 4 HD on Freesat ,and went for the aura as I also wanted a 3 tuner box. And then what happens channel 4HD comes back on Freesat.
    Just hope it new exchange box comes good?

| Sat 15 Jan 2022 10:22:17 #15 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

mgtr

Humax have agreed to exchange my Aura, so I'll wait and see.

| Sat 15 Jan 2022 11:03:26 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Exchange now done quality of signal 100% across all channels now.
    Exchange by means of courier with sealed plastic container ,seals cut new out broken in and resealed. You keep remote and cables just box exchanged.
    Before exchange things were getting really bad with one channel freezing completely as if affected by weather. So worth doing!
    Annoying yes but kept polite With H

| Thu 20 Jan 2022 11:53:06 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Was going to say kept polite throughout with Humax staff as they are only doing their job and have to go through their scripts.

| Thu 20 Jan 2022 11:55:18 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Philh

I too have just purchased a Humax Aura 4K and am suffering what seems to be common issues. Pixelating, audio chirps, freezing during playback, jumping out of a recording and so on. I have fixed playback at 1080p 60hz and fitted a variable attenuator and set signal strength to 80%. This has improved things slightly but in my opinion is not good enough for what is quite an expensive (by modern standards) piece of equipment. I have had my aerial checked, a new Dow cable which goes direct to the unit and a brand new hdmi cable (a good quality one). Disappointing for what should be much better. Recording 4 channels at once, 2tb of storage, a slick rapid ui and a handset with the most awful layout! mmmm… Humax please sort it out!

| Sat 26 Feb 2022 15:29:53 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

bobspark - 1 mnth ago  » 
    Was going to say kept polite throughout with Humax staff as they are only doing their job and have to go through their scripts.

They might be but as representatives for the company they have to suck up and take it until the aura which is a top of the range box is fixed and working as it should as us as customers pay their wages.

| Sat 26 Feb 2022 18:56:04 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.