My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Fragmented picture/lack of signal

(50 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

Hi, in my experience when the signal is low, it is always the quality bar which has the problem.

I tried an attenuator, it did nothing a complete red herring. I tried a signal booster, it definitely helped but wasn't a complete cure. I got the Ariel man out and changed my Ariel, it made no difference at all even with new cables. Humax sent me another box to try, it was identical, including with the "fix" below which worked exactly the same on both boxes.

It is usually if not always when there is a recording, or recordings ongoing.

I have always without fail managed to cure the problem by either playing around with the Ariel connector where it goes into the back of the Aura or more often (don't ask me why because I can't work it out) by pulling the whole Aura box forwards on whatever surface it is sitting. It is the weirdest thing. I just put the weak channel on the screen, pull up the signal strength page, and move the Aura about a bit, and the signal quality just goes up. Move it back where it was, and it goes down again. It always seems to like some tension on the Ariel cable, ie not slack. Crazy.

| Sat 26 Nov 2022 21:40:29 #41 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

Maybe a "red herring" but it has been known that HDMI and aerial cables do not like being close together, the HDMI fast pulses can affect the low level rf aerial signals. Since you mentioned moving the box / cables improves matters that could be a possible cause, just a thought.
    Good luck

| Sun 27 Nov 2022 11:03:14 #42 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

kr002

special member

ChemicalRob - 14 hours ago  » 
    Hi, in my experience when the signal is low, it is always the quality bar which has the problem.
    I tried an attenuator, it did nothing a complete red herring. I tried a signal booster, it definitely helped but wasn't a complete cure. I got the Ariel man out and changed my Ariel, it made no difference at all even with new cables. Humax sent me another box to try, it was identical, including with the "fix" below which worked exactly the same on both boxes.
    I have always without fail managed to cure the problem by either playing around with the Ariel connector where it goes into the back of the Aura or more often (don't ask me why because I can't work it out) by pulling the whole Aura box forwards on whatever surface it is sitting. It is the weirdest thing. I just put the weak channel on the screen, pull up the signal strength page, and move the Aura about a bit, and the signal quality just goes up. Move it back where it was, and it goes down again. It always seems to like some tension on the Ariel cable, ie not slack. Crazy.

an attenuator - definitely makes a difference on mine

| Sun 27 Nov 2022 11:44:37 #43 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

VitaminD

special member

ChemicalRob - 15 hours ago  » 

Use a high quality well shielded HDMI cable and keep it away from the aerial cable(s). I know the inputs for the aerial and the HDMI cable are next to each other (design mistake by Humax) but try and keep the respective cables away from each other.

| Sun 27 Nov 2022 13:14:23 #44 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

Does anyone know if anybody has ever tried a more powerful power supply on the Aura?

The power supply which is supplied with it is 12v 2A. Could it be that as the number of tuners in use rises, then the power supply starts to struggle?

Maybe a 12v supply with a 4 or 5 amps might help?

Rob.

| Sun 27 Nov 2022 18:56:48 #45 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

My replacement box is now not suffering from pixelation after weeks of it on SD Channels. But if it starts again, I have by chance a brand new 5A variable power supply I can try if it starts up again. But I don't suppose it can be that easy.
    It's all very strange. And of course, as always, all my other TV equipment works flawlessly!

| Mon 28 Nov 2022 10:28:03 #46 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

ChemicalRob - 15 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone know if anybody has ever tried a more powerful power supply on the Aura?
    The power supply which is supplied with it is 12v 2A. Could it be that as the number of tuners in use rises, then the power supply starts to struggle?
    Maybe a 12v supply with a 4 or 5 amps might help?
    Rob.

Worth a try, but I doubt if the extra tuner would overload the standard power supply. However please make sure that any non Humax supply has the same polarity, otherwise it might be "goodnight Vienna" to your Aura.
    My money is still on HDMI interference.

| Mon 28 Nov 2022 10:53:46 #47 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Signal break up started on SD CHANNELS so tried my super all singing power supply and it made no difference. Thinking about it when it was exchanged instructions were to keep power supple and remote and just change box. And all was well till now.
    Tried all sorts first time around ie everything everyone suggested except periodic log aerial. Thankfully HD CHANNELS are OK so not the end of the world just annoying.

| Mon 28 Nov 2022 15:38:04 #48 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

bobspark - 32 mins ago  » 
    Signal break up started on SD CHANNELS so tried my super all singing power supply and it made no difference. Thinking about it when it was exchanged instructions were to keep power supple and remote and just change box. And all was well till now.
    Tried all sorts first time around ie everything everyone suggested except periodic log aerial. Thankfully HD CHANNELS are OK so not the end of the world just annoying.

This sounds like a faulty machine which is what I had. I also had working HD channels but SD were pixelated, etc. Here’s what to try. 1) switch to an SD channel that you know does not work 2) reboot (not a soft off/on) machine so that it reboots on to the same SD channel. See if it is pixelated or not. 3) if all ok, switch to another channel(any channel) for a few minutes then go back to SD channel that it was on when rebooted and see if it is ok or not. If not and is pixelated you need a new box.

| Mon 28 Nov 2022 16:14:18 #49 |
  10. Adwozere

Adwozere

Try an attenuator it can help with lots of things like a pixilated picture, signal too strong etc ..

Attachments

1. Screenshot_2022-12-01-22-21-24-438_com.jpg (615.9 KB, 4 downloads) 1 year old
    | Thu 1 Dec 2022 22:27:22 #50 |

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.