My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Pollensa1946 - 22 minutes ago  » 

jbsco78 - 10 hours ago  » 
    surely if the app being connected is an issue, it is because the box has to spin up every 20 or so minuties for the remote record function to work.

Freesat/Humax were warned of this possible outcome when the app was first launched...
    http://myhumax.org/forum/topic/freesat-app-on-android/page/2#post-28473

Indeed

| Thu 21 Apr 2016 9:48:45 #221 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Helen3

Hello. Like many others I have also lost all recordings on my HDR 1000s. They all disappeared 2 days ago and I can't get them back despite doing a factory reset as suggested by Humax. I do not use the App though and have never used it. My Humax is just over 3 years old.

| Thu 21 Apr 2016 22:27:53 #222 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Helen3 - 10 hours ago  » 
    Hello. Like many others I have also lost all recordings on my HDR 1000s. They all disappeared 2 days ago and I can't get them back despite doing a factory reset as suggested by Humax. I do not use the App though and have never used it. My Humax is just over 3 years old.

Hi Helen

Welcome to our forum. Sorry to hear that you have caught the missing drive syndrome.

Not sure why Humax recommended a factory reset as I have never ever seen a reset ever fixing this specific issue.

Not much help but it seems that an extended period of no power on the unit seems to restore hard drive access. Can you try removing the rear power connector for say 24 hrs and see if the drive is still missing in action ?

| Fri 22 Apr 2016 9:16:00 #223 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billibob

Helen3 - 1 day ago  » 

Unfortunately now you have done a factory reset your recordings are now probably lost. The manufacturers seem to think this is a cure all, a bit like 'turn it off, turn it back on again' in a well known TV show but in this case that would be the better option as turning it off sometimes works and preserves your recordings the factory reset does not solve this problem and recordings are lost.

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 11:46:31 #224 |
  5. Barry

Barry

senior admin

In normal circumstances a factory reset does not delete recordings only scheduled timers and any other user settings adjusted (padding, skip etc)

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 11:50:57 #225 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

Billibob - 1 hour ago  » ...factory reset does not solve this problem and recordings are lost.

Barry is correct. I've done several factory resets in the past and never once lost recordings.

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 13:28:32 #226 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billibob

Pollensa1946 - 3 hours ago  » 

Billibob - 1 hour ago  » ...factory reset does not solve this problem and recordings are lost.

Barry is correct. I've done several factory resets in the past and never once lost recordings.

Sorry looks like I have misunderstood the use of the expression Factory Reset in my experience of working for both the country's major retailers and also manufacturers a factory reset was always a full hard reset to new out off the box condition (shipping condition), as opposed to a soft reset usually just refured to as a reset which just removed user settings. Obviously Humax use this expression differently or maybe things have changed in the last year since I retired.

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 16:54:41 #227 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

All humax recorders when reset to factory defaults do not delete existing recordings. Why would it be necesssary to format the hard disk which has none of the operating system on it (It's all in NVRAM) ? Only a hard disk format does that. This includes all models since around 2007 (The first UK Humax pvr the single tuner SD Freeview 8000T), broadly contemporary with the renowned Topfield twin tuner pvrs (These do not delete recordings either). Afaik no other makers of Freeview+ or Freesat+ boxes delete existing recordings either. The Youview boxes do have a reset mode that includes a hard disk format, no idea why Youview specified this mode. DVDR based pvrs may format as the OS is held on the hard disk. Unlike the pvrs you can't simply stick a blank disk in these and let the box set up a new HDD.

By countries major retailers you were not by any chance referring to Currys ?

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 18:45:03 #228 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billibob

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    All humax recorders when reset to factory defaults do not delete existing recordings. Why would it be necesssary to format the hard disk which has none of the operating system on it (It's all in NVRAM) ? Only a hard disk format does that. This includes all models since around 2007 (The first UK Humax pvr the single tuner SD Freeview 8000T), broadly contemporary with the renowned Topfiveld twin tuner pvrs (These do not delete recordings either). Afaik no other makers of Freeview+ or Freesat+ boxes delete existing recordings either. The Youview boxes do have a reset mode that includes a hard disk format, no idea why Youview specified this mode. DVDR based pvrs may format as the OS is held on the hard disk. Unlike the pvrs you can't simply stick a blank disk in these and let the box set up a new HDD.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_reset

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 20:10:57 #229 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billibob

Billibob - 1 minute ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    All humax recorders when reset to factory defaults do not delete existing recordings. Why would it be necesssary to format the hard disk which has none of the operating system on it (It's all in NVRAM) ? Only a hard disk format does that. This includes all models since around 2007 (The first UK Humax pvr the single tuner SD Freeview 8000T), broadly contemporary with the renowned Topfiveld twin tuner pvrs (These do not delete recordings either). Afaik no other makers of Freeview+ or Freesat+ boxes delete existing recordings either. The Youview boxes do have a reset mode that includes a hard disk format, no idea why Youview specified this mode. DVDR based pvrs may format as the OS is held on the hard disk. Unlike the pvrs you can't simply stick a blank disk in these and let the box set up a new HDD.

More information can be found here. Regards my understanding of the term Factory reset
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_reset

| Sat 23 Apr 2016 20:13:41 #230 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.