My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

smeb

smeb - 3 weeks ago  » Summary below

Can't add anything much to what I said before. Summary: HDR1010 (purchased Nov 2013) was showing "no recordings", planned recordings were still listed. Installed the Freetime app on my current phone and paired temporarily before the connection was lost. I disconnected the Humax power, HDMI and ethernet connections (rather than just switching off at the mains). When I reconnected them after 10 minutes or so and switched on, the recordings list was there and we were able to watch recordings. The planned recordings list had been wiped.

Just to update. No further problems (apart from finding that one of the recovered recordings was a bit corrupted at the start). So everything is working as before.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 8:54:34 #231 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Billibob - 14 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    All humax recorders when reset to factory defaults do not delete existing recordings. Why would it be necesssary to format the hard disk which has none of the operating system on it (It's all in NVRAM) ? Only a hard disk format does that. This includes all models since around 2007 (The first UK Humax pvr the single tuner SD Freeview 8000T), broadly contemporary with the renowned Topfiveld twin tuner pvrs (These do not delete recordings either). Afaik no other makers of Freeview+ or Freesat+ boxes delete existing recordings either. The Youview boxes do have a reset mode that includes a hard disk format, no idea why Youview specified this mode. DVDR based pvrs may format as the OS is held on the hard disk. Unlike the pvrs you can't simply stick a blank disk in these and let the box set up a new HDD.
    By countries major retailers you were not by any chance referring to Currys ?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_reset

There is no data, settings or applications stored on the hard disk that could affect the unit operation except perhaps a corrupt time shift buffer file. Failure of this is pretty obvious. The cure for this is easy you have to format the hard disk. It seems a pretty stupid idea to me to enforce a hard disk format. The user has the option to format the hard disk before or after a factory reset in any case. In the many years I have used Humax gear the only time ever I ever needed to format was down to disk not software issues. The HDR-FOX-T2 and Foxsat-HDR thanks to third party free available Linux Operating System capability are able to run standard Linux file system check and repair utilities, enforcing a hard disk format on these machines would be very stupid.

I can imagine the outcry if Sky box owners lost all their recordings following a reset

Incidentally Humax state good practice after a firmware upgrade is a factory reset. Not always required but sometimes it does fix some issues residual issues.

I would be surprised if the Freeview and Freetime spec itself does not preclude software reset capability should not delete existing recordings (these are just passive data files).

Personally I wouldn't buy any sort of recorder that insists on deleting pain data files (recordings, imported content), that cannot possibly affect the unit normal operation unless being played back. It's simple enough to delete a rogue recording file.

What about the the class of machines like the HB1000S that record to a seperate USB hard disk. You do not need a recording drive attached to reset the units.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 10:45:16 #232 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Billibob - 14 hours ago  » 

Billibob - 1 minute ago  » 

All humax recorders when reset to factory defaults do not delete existing recordings. Why would it be necesssary to format the hard disk which has none of the operating system on it (It's all in NVRAM) ? Only a hard disk format does that. This includes all models since around 2007 (The first UK Humax pvr the single tuner SD Freeview 8000T), broadly contemporary with the renowned Topfiveld twin tuner pvrs (These do not delete recordings either). Afaik no other makers of Freeview+ or Freesat+ boxes delete existing recordings either. The Youview boxes do have a reset mode that includes a hard disk format, no idea why Youview specified this mode. DVDR based pvrs may format as the OS is held on the hard disk. Unlike the pvrs you can't simply stick a blank disk in these and let the box set up a new HDD.
    By countries major retailers you were not by any chance referring to Currys ?

More information can be found here. Regards my understanding of the term Factory reset
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Factory_reset

The Wiki is wrong. By that definition a factory reset would destroy the box in the case where the actual Operating System is stored on the hard disk. In the case of standalone boxes that would normally include DVD recorders. You can easily tell the difference, if you can insert a new blank unformatted hard disk into a unit and it will prepare the hard disk itself (as on Humax pvrs), the hard disk itself has no data on it that the unit relies on to function.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 11:01:12 #233 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billibob

I you seem to think I am disputing what you say as regards a reset. I am not what you say is true a reset does exactly as you say. I am simply trying to make the distinction between a reset and a Factory reset (not the same as a reset to default values). A Factory reset by definition resets to the condition the equipment was in when it left the Factory (shipping condition).

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 13:54:17 #234 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Billibob - 7 minutes ago  » 
    I you seem to think I am disputing what you say as regards a reset. I am not what you say is true a reset does exactly as you say. I am simply trying to make the distinction between a reset and a Factory reset (not the same as a reset to default values). A Factory reset by definition resets to the condition the equipment was in when it left the Factory (shipping condition).

Not quite - It is not usual to ever rollback firmware upgrades to whatever the kit left the factory with.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 14:05:26 #235 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Billibob - 8 minutes ago  » 

Pure semantics. How about pvr ready receivers, they record to usb connected hard drives. Seems odd that I have contributed 1000 of posts on many forums since 2008. You are the only poster, amongst 1000's that has ever insisted on this point of view. In that time I have personally owned many pvrs and had experience of many others. Not a single one deleted recordings when reset to factory defaults with the single exception of the Youview designed Humax built terrestrial Youview pvrs (and even that has an option not to format)

If you wish I can provide a very long list of models (including non Humax ones that do not format).

If you wish to go on with this rather pointless argument perhaps you could post a list of items that do so from your extensive retail experience ? Have you ever owned or used these devices and actually done a factory reset (often called reset to defaults and other variations depending on maker).

It's typical of the complete rubbish advice you are often given in major retail outlets who do not use trained engineers just poorly trained, unqualified box shifters.

I remember well the launch of Freesat and Currys insistance for some months that you had to have a different dish for freesat, an existing Sky dish simply would not work.

You made a massive assumption posted it as a known fact, based on no experience at all and then attempted to justify it. Only way to even do this rather than posting links to Wiki posts that were probably made using the same incorrect assumptions. In the absence of even a few examples that work as you say I respectfully suggest you put up some examples or stop trying yo justify what is clearly a minority opinion.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 14:19:48 #236 |
  7. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Out of interest I had a quick look at the support site for what arguably was the best and most flexible twin tuner Freeview) pvr ever made. The Topfield 5800 , mine is still in daily use by my oldest grandson. The open source software made it possible to almost infinitely customise the UI using software add ons known as TAP's.

This is a direct quote

Do I need to perform a factory reset after a firmware update?

OTA updates are designed so that you should not need to do a factory reset afterwards, and if you were running the previous version, you should be ok. If you were running a much older version, we do recommend that you perform a factory reset after updating. Note that if you do so, you will need to store channels again, recreate your favourites lists, and re-create any existing timers. You can back up your timers and then restore them again using the UK Timers TAP. Because of changes in firmware is it always recommended to factory reset when migrating from a 5.13.xx firmware to a 5.14.xx Freeview Playback firmware.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 14:55:40 #237 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Billibob

Pure semantics. How about pvr ready receivers, they record to usb connected hard drives. Seems odd that I have contributed 1000 of posts on many forums since 2008. You are the only poster, amongst 1000's that has ever insisted on this point of view. In that time I have personally owned many pvrs and had experience of many others. Not a single one deleted recordings when reset to factory defaults with the single exception of the Youview designed Humax built terrestrial Youview pvrs (and even that has an option not to format)
    If you wish I can provide a very long list of models (including non Humax ones that do not format).
    If you wish to go on with this rather pointless argument perhaps you could post a list of items that do so from your extensive retail experience ? Have you ever owned or used these devices and actually done a factory reset (often called reset to defaults and other variations depending on maker).
    It's typical of the complete rubbish advice you are often given in major retail outlets who do not use trained engineers just poorly trained, unqualified box shifters.
    I remember well the launch of Freesat and Currys insistance for some months that you had to have a different dish for freesat, an existing Sky dish simply would not work.
    You made a massive assumption posted it as a known fact, based on no experience at all and then attempted to justify it. Only way to even do this rather than posting links to Wiki posts that were probably made using the same incorrect assumptions. In the absence of even a few examples that work as you say I respectfully suggest you put up some examples or stop trying yo justify what is clearly a minority opinion.

Calm down
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/hard-reset-factory-reset-master-reset

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 15:46:29 #238 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

Billibob to use your link example it would not rollback the current Android version to that which was factory installed.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 16:00:26 #239 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Billibob - 55 minutes ago  » 

Calm down
    http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/hard-reset-factory-reset-master-reset

There is virtually no confidential data on a PVR. You are quoting a generic description that in no way applies to a PVR. The only data they carry is the first part of your postcode which is hardly comparable to a android device like a mobile phone.

As Repessac says on none of these devices is the actual operating system firmware/software ever re-set to the original as delivered condition. On many items especially where loader software has been updated the box would be bricked, nor could the box be easily updated to the latest software (to do so would require a continous OTA update for all boxes) . Basically no kit you can conceive conforms to your idea of a factory reset as it just would not work.

| Sun 24 Apr 2016 16:49:01 #240 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.