My Humax Forum » Freesat HD » HDR 1000, 1010, 1100S

Hard drive issues

(622 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Helen3

Helen3 - 10 months ago  » 
    Hello. Like many others I have also lost all recordings on my HDR 1000s. They all disappeared 2 days ago and I can't get them back despite doing a factory reset as suggested by Humax. I do not use the App though and have never used it. My Humax is just over 3 years old.

Just a quick update on this. After reading though these posts I contacted Humax again in Dec 16 about the £26 fix that has been mentioned elsewhere. Although there wasn't a guarantee that this would solve the problem I thought I would try it. I paid the £26 and my Humax was collected repaired and returned to me within a week,. The hard drive is there again and all the recordings too so I'm very relieved. I thought others may be interested to know this option can be a success.
    As a precaution I have adjusted my TV settings so it does not automatically shut down the Humax when I switch 'source' to the DVD etc. I don't know if this will help, but the original fault started just after getting a new TV.

I hope this post is helpful
    Helen

| Thu 16 Mar 2017 23:17:50 #481 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

peterl1999

Thanks to Barry Administrator
    I was given a Humax 1000s because it wouldn't venture past the splash screen, just said 'Freesat Humax' then died. I found a post which was a upgrade/reset file and used that on a USB. Removed the power cable and with the USB in the slot pressed the channel down button (third along) This did something to the firmware (Not sure what but it did present a progress bar). Followed the on screen instructions and hey presto a fully working and reset box. Brilliant. I had spent weeks trying to upgrade the firmware with no progress, perhaps this was a down grade, whatever it worked perfectly. Thanks for the file and the work done on this forum. This was a last ditched effort as it was bound for the tip (although I would have replaced the capacitors in one last effort to get it to work) Thanks again The wife now is very pleased as she is not stick with minimum freeview in the bedroom.

| Thu 4 May 2017 17:53:35 #482 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

mkiely

FenderBender

Hi All,

My Humax HDR1000S is going to the recycling tip. After 2 years the hard drive stopped working. I stopped using it, and used a cheaper box (VU+Solo Mini), which has been completely trouble free, for watching FTA channels.
    Just last week I set up the Humax box again, just to see if anything had changed. Yes indeed, all had changed. No channels would come on at all. Some flickering lights for a few seconds, but basically the humax has died.What a joke, when one considers that SKY boxes can lastfor 10+ years!
    I got just over two years service for a unit that cost me 345 euros (about 400 pounds). What a bad product this turned out to be.
    What amazes me is why there isn't an alternative to Humax offering a freesat with twin tuner. Why is there no competition? Any body got a suggestion?
    And to top it off, the WHAT HIFI reviews still give the Humax a super rating!!!

Thanks for listening.
    As you can guess, I wouldn't ever dream of purchasing Humax equipment again, ever!!

| Mon 8 May 2017 22:34:17 #483 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

DEphead2004

Not been a sufferer from hdd component failure but now that there is a problem identified and a solution, is it ok to reinstall the Freesat app and link it to the box again?

| Sun 13 Aug 2017 8:03:25 #484 |
  5. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

If you want your unit to power-up every 20 and to check for new remote recording instruction, then yes. It must add extra wear to the disk.

The app works fine without being paired and the only missing function is the remote record.

| Sun 13 Aug 2017 9:48:57 #485 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

DEphead2004

Yes I had forgotten that disadvantage. But at least the rumours that the app caused the component failure have been discounted?

Are we any the wiser why the resistor(?) Failed on so many units? Poor quality?

| Mon 14 Aug 2017 7:41:24 #486 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Pollensa1946

special member

DEphead2004 - 1 hour ago  » 
    ...at least the rumours that the app caused the component failure have been discounted?...Poor quality?

There's no analysis available to support either conclusion, and unlikely that Humax or Freesat will publish one. So it's impossible to tell.

| Mon 14 Aug 2017 9:16:36 #487 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

DEphead2004

OK best steer clear then

| Mon 14 Aug 2017 9:21:58 #488 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

fedman1

special member

DEphead2004 - 1 hour ago  » 
    Yes I had forgotten that disadvantage. But at least the rumours that the app caused the component failure have been discounted?
    Are we any the wiser why the resistor(?) Failed on so many units? Poor quality?

Most resistor failures are due to the manufacturers limits being exceeded.

| Mon 14 Aug 2017 9:31:36 #489 |
  10. Barry

Barry

senior admin

DEphead2004 - 34 minutes ago  » 
    OK best steer clear then

Less than 1% of units sold have experienced the issue.

| Mon 14 Aug 2017 9:56:47 #490 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.