My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Hi Everyone

(46 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Just has a quick look. Only Casablanca has the camera icon. It's a old 4:3 movie so i guess that's what it means. It plays back OK.

| Wed 23 Dec 2020 20:33:26 #21 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim104

Hi Again Graham
    Have briefly quick viewed the recorded programmes all seem to be ok very good HD images,
    However the other things I have recorded off of the non HD channels all have sporadic picture breakup and sound drop out which shows its self as large pops and bangs which frighten you to death.
    I have checked the signal test facility and all the HD channels have good solid 100 per cent quality at about 70 to 80 signal strength. The non HD channels which I have sampled a few however have a quality that varies constantly between 30/40 per cent upto 100 percent. I am only 10 miles from the transmitter mast so do not understand this variance. Or is there a problem with the tuners in the box.
    Have Happy day tomorrow everyone,
    James

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 14:26:53 #22 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jim104 - 2 mins ago  » 
    Hi Again Graham
    Have briefly quick viewed the recorded programmes all seem to be ok very good HD images,
    However the other things I have recorded off of the non HD channels all have sporadic picture breakup and sound drop out which shows its self as large pops and bangs which frighten you to death.
    I have checked the signal test facility and all the HD channels have good solid 100 per cent quality at about 70 to 80 signal strength. The non HD channels which I have sampled a few however have a quality that varies constantly between 30/40 per cent upto 100 percent. I am only 10 miles from the transmitter mast so do not understand this variance. Or is there a problem with the tuners in the box.
    Have Happy day tomorrow everyone,
    James

That sounds like you have too high a signal level and are overloading the sensitive tuners. Do you have any amplifiers in the system if so remove it and connect the in to the out. Those are exactly the symptoms. You need a variable attenuator to reduce the signal level.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Electronics-Variable-Attenuator-5-1000MHz-Sockets/dp/B087BFSKTB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=35E4G5N2BNZEB&dchild=1&keywords=tv+attenuator&qid=1608817076&sprefix=TV+att%2Caps%2C202&sr=8-3

You could fit an aerial splitter if you have one. That will reduce the signal level.

| Thu 24 Dec 2020 14:40:24 #23 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim104

Hi Graham
    Have now fitted the attenuator you recommended. Am looking for max signal strength or max quality strength ?
    The Quality levels still seem to fluctuate no matter how much attenuation I apply.
    Which mux channel should I choose to apply the attenuator too ?
    Many thanks again.

| Sun 27 Dec 2020 17:36:26 #24 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jim104 - 42 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham
    Have now fitted the attenuator you recommended. Am looking for max signal strength or max quality strength ?
    The Quality levels still seem to fluctuate no matter how much attenuation I apply.
    Which mux channel should I choose to apply the attenuator too ?
    Many thanks again.

An attenuator reduces the signal level from the aerial it's not mux specific. Tune to a channel that is causing issues and display the strength and quality.

Reduce the signal level to a point where the quality starts to fall from 100%. Then increase it a tad.

If you can't reduce it the signal level must be really high. Are you sure you haven't got an amplifier somewhere in the setup ? Perhaps a box on the aerial mast.

| Sun 27 Dec 2020 18:23:09 #25 |
  6. FenderBender

FenderBender

administrator

Admin: Moved to Aura forum.

| Sun 27 Dec 2020 22:10:12 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim104

Hi Graham
    There are no amplifiers to the aerial. One channel in particular gives dropout problems its Channel 26. If I tune to it and then go to the settings /channel and broadcast / signal test` its show the signal test screen for tuner 1 but channel 39 ???
    The average readings are strength 54 % quality 67 %.
    How do I check the actual channel 26 strength.
    If I do a manual channel search for chn26 I get a freq of 514000 - DVB-T - 8 MHz with strength of 7% and 0 quality.
    Dont understand whats happening here,
    James

| Sun 3 Jan 2021 20:09:16 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

Jim104 - 10 mins ago  » 
    There are no amplifiers to the aerial. One channel in particular gives dropout problems its Channel 26. If I tune to it and then go to the settings /channel and broadcast / signal test` its show the signal test screen for tuner 1 but channel 39 ???

I am not convinced that this a problem with signal strength being too high; could you tell us at least the first part of your post code please?

| Sun 3 Jan 2021 20:21:07 #28 |
  9. Mars

Mars

special member

Jim104 - 30 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham
    If I do a manual channel search for chn26 I get a freq of 514000 - DVB-T - 8 MHz with strength of 7% and 0 quality.
    Dont understand whats happening here,
    James

When you say channel 26 do you mean the TV channel 26 (Yesterday)? The TV channels are broadcast on several multiplexes that also have channel numbers. Yesterday is presumably being broadcast on a multiplex on channel 39.
    https://www.freeview.co.uk/corporate/platform-management/channel-listings
    Your problem is not that the signal strength is too high. Forget the attenuator. Some posters are obsessed with the possibility that the signal strength is too high.

| Sun 3 Jan 2021 20:46:33 #29 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim104

So Mars
    What do you see what the problem is then, I getting totally confused here ....

| Sun 3 Jan 2021 22:32:49 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.