My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Hi Everyone

(46 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jim104 - 5 mins ago  » 
    So Mars
    What do you see what the problem is then, I getting totally confused here ....

10 mls from a transmitter but which one ? A main power transmitter is way different from a low power relay from the same transmitter.

Martin is trying to check which transmitter you are likely to be using.

Does your own aerial have the elements vertical or horizontal or are you on a communal aerial system that supplies others in say a block of flats ? That's a whole new ball game.

| Sun 3 Jan 2021 21:44:15 #31 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim104

Hi Martin
    Postcode is NR16
    James

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 9:24:25 #32 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Jim104

Hi Graham
    Transmitter that the aerial is pointing at is Tacolneston approx 10 miles away, elements are horizontal.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 9:27:57 #33 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jim104 - 11 mins ago  » 
    Hi Graham
    Transmitter that the aerial is pointing at is Tacolneston approx 10 miles away, elements are horizontal.

That is a main power transmitter. Is the aerial outdoors ? If so it's a definite possibility that you have two strong a signal especially in terrain as flat as Norfolk you should have clear line of sight to the transmitter,

eg The PSB3 - HD mux erp is 100kW .

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 9:44:50 #34 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Jim104 - 16 hours ago  » 
    Hi Graham
    There are no amplifiers to the aerial. One channel in particular gives dropout problems its Channel 26. If I tune to it and then go to the settings /channel and broadcast / signal test` its show the signal test screen for tuner 1 but channel 39 ???
    The average readings are strength 54 % quality 67 %.
    How do I check the actual channel 26 strength.
    If I do a manual channel search for chn26 I get a freq of 514000 - DVB-T - 8 MHz with strength of 7% and 0 quality.
    Dont understand whats happening here,
    James

You need to understand that there are two sets of "channel" numbers.

The 26 to which you refer, is specific to Yesterday and is better called its LCN. The LCN is the number you use on your remote to change, for example, from BBC1 to Channel 4 on a routine basis.

The 39 which you came across is the UHF channel number for the group (or Mux) which contains Yesterday (specifically Mux COM6). Each Mux contains quite a number of LCNs.

The correct UHF channel numbers for Tacolneston are:

Mux PSB1 - 40
    Mux PSB2 - 43
    Mux PSB3 HD - 46
    Mux COM4 - 42
    Mux COM5 - 45
    Mux COM6 - 39
    Mux COM7 HD - 55

These are the numbers you would need if you had to do a manual tune.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 11:20:37 #35 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

COM 7 is the temporary mux and transmitted on a lower power than the main ones. Additionally they are being converted to national single frequency network so every transmitter will use the same UHF carrier. If you live within reach of two transmitters using the same carrier it can be very difficult to get a stable signal.

Com 6 is 100Kw so is likely to be too high a signal

Com 7 is only 27.4kW.

If you get a stable signal on lcn 107 BBC News-HD which is on this mux. you have your answer.

With 107 tuned. What does the Aura signal test option say about the reception ?

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 11:43:46 #36 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    That is a main power transmitter. Is the aerial outdoors ? If so it's a definite possibility that you have two strong a signal especially in terrain as flat as Norfolk you should have clear line of sight to the transmitter,

Graham is it possible on the Aura to see which Multiplex channels are currently tuned in? if we can get that information then we can eliminate mistuning.

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 12:22:26 #37 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 5 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

Graham is it possible on the Aura to see which Multiplex channels are currently tuned in? if we can get that information then we can eliminate mistuning.

Yes it is Signal test gives the current mux info over the strength and quality which is why I asked for the details.

Currently only tuner 1 is displayed even if you force all the tuners to be used.

Mine is tuned to PSB-3 It says CH30, 54600 kHz, 8 MHz (spacing), AUTO and mine is recording so it says Live, recording below the Quality bar graph

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 12:31:26 #38 |
  9. Mars

Mars

special member

Jim104 - 17 hours ago  » 

This seems very odd with a 100KW transmitter 10 miles away in Norfolk! I would be checking for loose connections and/or interference (assuming that you have the correct type of aerial pointing in the correct direction). Do you have a splitter (is the aerial feeding several TVs)?

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 12:44:44 #39 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Mars - 41 mins ago  » 

Jim104 - 17 hours ago  » 

This seems very odd with a 100KW transmitter 10 miles away in Norfolk! I would be checking for loose connections and/or interference (assuming that you have the correct type of aerial pointing in the correct direction). Do you have a splitter (is the aerial feeding several TVs)?

Op might have a group A especially if the transmitter was originally group A. Group A aerials stop around UHF 37.

A small wideband like the DM log should be ideal.

https://www.aerialsandtv.com/knowledge/aerials/atvs-choice-of-tv-aerials-and-why-we-chose-them

OP what colour is the plastic end plug on the end of the aerial ?

| Mon 4 Jan 2021 13:28:24 #40 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.