My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hologram

The Aura is the third Humax model I've had, and I suppose I was spoilt in the early days. As well as a competent PVR and catch-up box, I also wanted to be able to FTP files from my PC to the Aura, and archive some SD recordings onto an external drive. After a frustrating afternoon I managed to FTP to the Aura, using a third party app to create a Humax server, and transfer an avi file. But from my limited experience one can only FTP to the internal storage, which is about 8Gb - the vast hard drive is untouchable, write protected from the likes of me it seems. I also found I needed wifi enabled to do anything like that, even though the Aura was hard wired into the router at the same time. I know my uses for the box are not usual, but just to be able to copy some files over from the PC doesn't seem unreasonable, nor copy SD files the other way, like my first Humax box did. And as for having to use a third-party file manager to access external drives... Oh, and a final annoyance - I have kept my former Humax because it is packed with stuff I have recorded, only both remotes seem to use the same code base, so, much hilarity and hair-pulling. I suppose in these days of DRM and monetization, I am expecting too much from what is in fact a decent PVR.

| Tue 10 Nov 2020 22:21:42 #174 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

I have been reading this topic in the hope of seeing good things so i can replace my sloowwww 5000T, up to now I don't feel overjoyed by the Aura.
    Even the 1 review on amazon isn't very good.

Humax have had a long time since they released the 5000T to make a new box and on paper this box does seem great as a replacement but from everything i have read, it seemed like rather than having all the time they have had to get the box right, they have rather rushed it and the box sounds like it's only half ready and should have maybe gone through mnore testing first.

| Tue 10 Nov 2020 22:51:05 #175 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant71

I received my humax aura on Saturday, first impressions is that it could potentially be very good. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of bugs. I have had to power off the box several times, I keep getting a blank screen when I change channel on live TV. I get sound but the screen is blank with the banner telling me what channel and what is on. The only way to get the picture back is to power cycle the box. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to find a solution? Cheers

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 0:14:13 #176 |
  4. Jthspace

Jthspace

Ant71 - 3 mins ago  » 
    I received my humax aura on Saturday, first impressions is that it could potentially be very good. Unfortunately there seems to be a lot of bugs. I have had to power off the box several times, I keep getting a blank screen when I change channel on live TV. I get sound but the screen is blank with the banner telling me what channel and what is on. The only way to get the picture back is to power cycle the box. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to find a solution? Cheers

Yes, I changed the [video out] off “auto” to 2160/60 (?) and it’s fine now. I dont think it likes changes to menu items without a reboot though. I have had a few hangs when mucking about with settings. It seems to be stable at the moment, the only issue is that it wont switch the sound box on. If I use the humax remote to turn on the tv and humax, the sound box does not turn on, if I power up the tv with the LG remote, it powers on the sound box and then i can turn on the humax. Must be a cable/setting somewhere, but for another day; i am enjoying using the humax now i am 99% set-up.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 0:23:45 #177 |
  5. davidrew

davidrew

special member

james_uk - 1 hour ago  » 
    I have been reading this topic in the hope of seeing good things so i can replace my sloowwww 5000T, up to now I don't feel overjoyed by the Aura.
    Even the 1 review on amazon isn't very good.
    Humax have had a long time since they released the 5000T to make a new box and on paper this box does seem great as a replacement but from everything i have read, it seemed like rather than having all the time they have had to get the box right, they have rather rushed it and the box sounds like it's only half ready and should have maybe gone through mnore testing first.

I agree there are a few rough edges but all the basics are there for a great product, the main thing for me is its fast and so far reliable. The idea to leverage Android TV and effectively make the Freeview PVR an application must make development and future update distribution much easier.

There are some issues which should have be sorted out prior to launch but this happens with a lot of technology products, I seem to remember Sky Q not being completely up to scratch when it first came out.

Provided Humax listen to feedback and continue to develop their layered apps then hopefully the reviews will improve.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 0:24:00 #178 |
  6. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Does anyone have the Catch-Up area of the EPG fully populated? Mine only seems to have BBC4 HD and BBC News HD.

On my Freeview Home Screen I don't have BBC iPlayer in the player apps. the first is ITV Hub.

I also have no Featured On Demand, Wildcard, Box Sets, or Movies listed.

Thanks.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 0:27:57 #179 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant71

Thanks Jthspace will try that later. I also had the same problems with my soundbar and tv powering up. In the end I had to disable the hdmi cec on the humax box and now I have to turn the humax on and off separately so they see each other. I also used to get the dhcp drm compatibility error on start up but that's now gone since disabling hdmi cec. I'm assuming it was the humax and soundbar not talking properly.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 0:47:05 #180 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Tavit

Can you watch a recorded program over wifi on another wifi enabled tv in another room?

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 3:13:27 #181 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

GCW1

BBC iplayer started working last night, you can also use it from guide to watch past programmes and watch from start on running programmes.
    Also my itv hub was saying problem, but later last night was okay.
    A photo app Photolio, wouldn't access my Google account, as it said there was no app to do that process. Know links to Google account as expected.
    BBC iplayer is still the same version and I didn't see any updates?
    Its getting better, just need
    Nowtv
    Netflix
    Volume control over hdmi

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 8:33:43 #182 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

danny121pt

I think the more people who report issues like maybe via email or their online chat on their website. or both

1. VPN usage on ethernet disconnects ethernet, wifi fine (seems an android pie bug)
    2. NowTV incompatibility, they told me they working hard on that
    3. Netflix not signed, but more that report may pressure them
    4. Need of an iPv6 toggle for networking to turn off and on iPv6 at local level as gives an address even when off at router level.

And any other bugs people find, its not moaning, but its how you get stuff fixed, if they have a active dev team.

Overall its best way to get bugs ironed out, but box is alright for most part and good stb.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 8:57:47 #183 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.