My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Hologram - 12 hours ago  » 
    The Aura is the third Humax model I've had, and I suppose I was spoilt in the early days. As well as a competent PVR and catch-up box, I also wanted to be able to FTP files from my PC to the Aura, and archive some SD recordings onto an external drive. After a frustrating afternoon I managed to FTP to the Aura, using a third party app to create a Humax server, and transfer an avi file. But from my limited experience one can only FTP to the internal storage, which is about 8Gb - the vast hard drive is untouchable, write protected from the likes of me it seems. I also found I needed wifi enabled to do anything like that, even though the Aura was hard wired into the router at the same time. I know my uses for the box are not usual, but just to be able to copy some files over from the PC doesn't seem unreasonable, nor copy SD files the other way, like my first Humax box did. And as for having to use a third-party file manager to access external drives... Oh, and a final annoyance - I have kept my former Humax because it is packed with stuff I have recorded, only both remotes seem to use the same code base, so, much hilarity and hair-pulling. I suppose in these days of DRM and monetization, I am expecting too much from what is in fact a decent PVR.

You can change the infra red code set (choice of 6) for most all Humax remotes except the DTR Youview boxes.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 11:11:19 #184 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Hologram

Thank you Graham for the tip about changing IR codes. Very useful.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 11:28:43 #185 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Jthspace - 22 hours ago  » 

gap - 1 hour ago  » 
    Hi all!
    Got my Humax Aura yesterday and set up - overall please and seems to be working well!
    One thing I am struggling with is the volume control to my TV - I have a Samsung TV with an attached soundbar via ARC, and enabled HDMI-CEC on the TV and the Humax, but when I mute or do V+/- on the Humax remote, it is just altering the volume of the Humax box. In the manual it says it can change volume via HDMI-CEC, so is anyone having any luck with that?
    Thanks!
    gap

Got playing with this some more. Although the Humax box is NOT controlling the volume on my Soundbar, I have discovered from playing with the TV that if I set the "HDMI ARC" "Digital Sound Out" to PCM instead of Auto, the volume from the Humax playing through the TV/Soundbar is no longer muffled and low volume.
    Now I can switch between the TV and Humax with no sudden rise (or fall) of volume
    Getting there . . .

HD channels use AAC audio which the box transcodes to Dolby digital on output (both live TV and recordings). SD channels use PCM Mpeg 2 layer 1 audio.

The volume level in Dolby Digital audio can only be varied after it is decoded either in a TV or AVR. Only PCM audio can vary the volume at source.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 11:48:07 #186 |
  4. davidrew

davidrew

special member

davidrew - 12 hours ago  » 
    Does anyone have the Catch-Up area of the EPG fully populated? Mine only seems to have BBC4 HD and BBC News HD.
    On my Freeview Home Screen I don't have BBC iPlayer in the player apps. the first is ITV Hub.
    I also have no Featured On Demand, Wildcard, Box Sets, or Movies listed.
    Thanks.

To follow-up my earlier thread BBC iPlayer has now appeared. Tick!

I still have no catch-up EPG, Top Picks - On Demand or Box Sets. Anyone have them? If so clues on how to get them. Thanks.

Attachments

1. IMG_2717.jpg (67.3 KB, 12 downloads) 3 years old
    2. IMG_2716.jpg (61.5 KB, 7 downloads) 3 years old
    3. IMG_2715.jpg (59 KB, 5 downloads) 3 years old
    | Wed 11 Nov 2020 13:20:45 #187 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

I have been reading this thread with great interest. I have a 5000t and it's really sluggish and I am wanting to replace it with an AURA but still on the fence. Trying to be devil's advocate here and HUMAX couldn't possibly test every scenario of customer config/setup. Maybe if, like me, you just have it connected directly to a tv and just want to record/watch tv programs it'll probably be the "dog's"! The missing apps aren't an issue for me as my TV has them anyway. A lot of people's issues I read I just scratch my head and go "eh?" - that's not to dismiss these issues it's just me (being thick?) not understanding what they are trying to do. Maybe it isn't possible to have an all singing/dancing piece of kit. But...there does seem to be some bugs with it and maybe i'll hold off until the next firmware upgrade. Then again maybe i'll go for it as it seems that as a bread 'n' butter pvr for the basics (record/watch tv) it ticks all the boxes or is this not the case?

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 13:42:42 #188 |
  6. Admin

Admin

administrator

davidrew - 23 mins ago  » 

Does anyone have the Catch-Up area of the EPG fully populated? Mine only seems to have BBC4 HD and BBC News HD.
    On my Freeview Home Screen I don't have BBC iPlayer in the player apps. the first is ITV Hub.
    Thanks.

I still have no catch-up EPG, Top Picks - On Demand or Box Sets. Anyone have them? If so clues on how to get them. Thanks.

All working on my units.

Does iplayer actually work - confidence check that you are connected to internet.

If so then next steps I would suggest is:

1. Turn power to unit off/on
    2. A reset.

B

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 13:45:59 #190 |
  7. Admin

Admin

administrator

boogersa - 3 mins ago  » 
    Then again maybe i'll go for it as it seems that as a bread 'n' butter pvr for the basics (record/watch tv) it ticks all the boxes or is this not the case?

My opinion for what it is worth.....go for it, you will notice the difference in response.

B

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 13:47:46 #191 |
  8. Barry

Barry

senior admin

pepster - 3 days ago  » 
    Yes sure I am happy to share my data...
    Model name - FVP-4KGTR
    Software Version - 1.00_14_200926_33c3c38
    Loaders Version - 9
    System ID PTT1.190528.001
    Update Date - Sept 27,2020 03:54:41am

If you check again you may find an update has been 'pushed' through

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 13:50:52 #192 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

james_uk

special member

Would people that have the box day that if all I wanted to use it for was Freeview only, and to record Freeview that this is much better than the 5000T, faster etc?

That is all I really would need using it for but wondering if the other issues wouldn't really bother me if that's all I was using it for?

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 14:12:15 #193 |
  10. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Admin - 1 hour ago  » 

davidrew - 23 mins ago  » 

Thanks.

All working on my units.
    Does iplayer actually work - confidence check that you are connected to internet.
    If so then next steps I would suggest is:
    1. Turn power to unit off/on
    2. A reset.
    B

Tested the BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub and my5 from Freeview and all working OK. Its recoding at the moment so I'll try the resets in a bit.

| Wed 11 Nov 2020 15:00:37 #194 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.