My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Username - 54 mins ago  » 

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 
    For a clearer version of that same image here is another link.

Thanks Luke, that is very handy.
    I suspect that I won't get a better answer on this without buying one lol.
    I will look for somewhere that has a no-quibble return policy in case it doesn't meet wife-approval (At the moment she's quite upset that I talked her into cancelling Sky so whatever we replace it with has to pass her inspection).

The Aura seems to be more than likely to support NOW-TV. Which is Sky delivered over the internet. If you can add NOW-TV to a mobile device like a tablet or phone or even a smart TV you should get some brownie points :-). A trial install is free.

You will need a decent download speed which I have no idea if you have.

The box has a built in chromecast. You can watch a NOW-TV programme and transfer the stream to a suitable box.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Incidentally NOW-TV can be used on a windows 10 laptop. If you have one with hdmi out that may be all you need to watch it on your TV now. Just using a long enough HDMI cable to your TV.

I can watch NOW-TV now using the Windows-10 app just by connecting my laptop to the front HDMI input on my AVR receiver. Using a longer cable I could connect it to a spare hdmi port on my TV.

No need to have the box you can try this out now.

| Wed 21 Oct 2020 18:32:43 #13 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 10 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 23 hours ago  » 

gomezz - 12 hours ago  » 
    Voice control and no analogue audio out? Not for me then.

s/pdif toslink to analogue audio converters widely available
    You don't have to use voice control it has a normal remote control

Aye, I can work around the limited audio output capability with add on adaptors, splitters and switches but is that really what we still need to resort to in the 21st century.
    It is the physical presence of voice control which makes me wary. I would want to take a pair of wire snips to the microphone. Never used voice control on my phone or tablet. Of course I could use a unique variant of my online identity to log into iPlayer and other services on this device so foil any linking to any other variant of my online identity harvested from elsewhere.

I do not know of any remote capability that can press and hold down a physical button on a remote control. Without this you cannot communicate with the box. You can scream at the box and it will not react at all. I have to hold down the microphone button my LG oled remote. Though why any one else would be interested in me turning off my local TV display, frankly baffles me.

Paranoid or what.

This is not a amazon echo that listens 24/7. There is no audio phrase to turn it on only a real button that needs a real finger to turn on.

| Wed 21 Oct 2020 19:54:01 #14 |
  3. gomezz

gomezz

special member

If you have to physically hold a button down then it is a half-baked voice control implementation which is of little use to those who could genuinely benefit from it.

Rather the press button A to ask it to do B why not just press button B?

| Wed 21 Oct 2020 20:17:53 #15 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Looking at the available blurb, it appears that this one has the LEDs pointing forward instead of downwards as in the 5000T. At least that is an improvement, if correct.

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 9:25:57 #16 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 17 hours ago  » 
    If you have to physically hold a button down then it is a half-baked voice control implementation which is of little use to those who could genuinely benefit from it.
    Rather the press button A to ask it to do B why not just press button B?

It's the same arrangement on all the remotes I have with google assistant This is the one for my LG OLED

https://www.tomsguide.com/uk/us/lg-tv-settings-guide,review-5624-6.html

It's a sensible arrangement because you don't get audio from other devices triggering the microphone on.

This sometimes happens using a Amazon Echo that has the microphone enabled all the time listening for it's trigger phrase. If say someone on TV says the trigger phase the echo responds.

This never happens with the LG remote.

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 13:57:04 #17 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Username - 20 hours ago  » 

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 
    For a clearer version of that same image here is another link.

Thanks Luke, that is very handy.
    I suspect that I won't get a better answer on this without buying one lol.
    I will look for somewhere that has a no-quibble return policy in case it doesn't meet wife-approval (At the moment she's quite upset that I talked her into cancelling Sky so whatever we replace it with has to pass her inspection).

You can see the LED is front facing here

https://uk.humaxdigital.com/product/aura-uhd-android-tv-recorder/

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 14:12:00 #18 |
  7. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Does anyone know if the tuners are new? I'm wondering if they may automatically attenuate for stronger signal areas which would save a lot of fiddling around.

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 15:42:15 #19 |
  8. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Well no 6000T then, AURA is Humax Freeview Play future. Humax AURA

I did suspect the 4000/5000T was becoming a legacy product as Humax have not been quick to fix recent issues and firmware updates with any new functionality has been thin to non existent for over a year. I have lambasted Humax in several posts recently over this and now I can see the reason why.

I do congratulate Humax on taking the leap in using the Google Android TV platform on AURA which should have no difficulties in being fully supported and regularly updated.

It will be interesting to see how long they will keep the existing bespoke software development team engaged for any future 4000/5000T requirements.

As Google are involved I do have more confidence that there should not be very much early adopter syndrome so I may be getting my wallet out sooner rather than later.

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 16:07:19 #20 |
  9. REPASSAC

REPASSAC

special member

I would still advise some caution. In your 4000/5000T unit Humax are building on top of a working Linux system with open source proved additions. With Android replacing Linux you are getting a what I think is a better starting point.
    Humax do need to do a lot of work on top of Android and I would expect, in due course, it to be an excellent product. I would still say early adopters should exercise some caution.

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 16:55:50 #21 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

davidrew - 1 hour ago  » 
    Does anyone know if the tuners are new? I'm wondering if they may automatically attenuate for stronger signal areas which would save a lot of fiddling around.

Televes have an aerial that does this.

https://docs.televes.com/web/catalogo/pdf/01.terrestrial_antennas_en.pdf

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MXDAT790.html?ad_position=&source=adwords&ad_id=90241702997&placement=&kw=&network=g&matchtype=b&ad_type=&product_id=&product_partition_id=&version=finalurl_v3&gclid=Cj0KCQjw28T8BRDbARIsAEOMBcx_7FcWbDeNKKq5yRQW2D1IuOskUv-b56GZEPmuR6s_9UW8RLXDtEAaAvThEALw_wcB

| Thu 22 Oct 2020 17:09:56 #22 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.