Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Eldienne

No catch up apps working today??

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 18:04:35 #367 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Eldienne

I mostly like the box, freeview aspect is great and works well.. Apps are hit and miss, were working when I set up but now not. Prime seems fine. I love the customisable home and the remote is good. A restart of the box has now sorted the apps. They were stuck on a black screen. Annoying

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 18:07:59 #368 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Eldienne

Not getting any sound from all4 when programme starts.. Sound during ads but then goes off when programme starts!!! Anyone know why?

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 18:14:15 #369 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Done some testing. Switched off my AVR scaling HD to 4K. Freesat source is now delivering 1080p to my TV and the scaling is doing a good job. Much the same as using the 4K scaling in my Denon AVR.
    Whatever setting the Aura video is set to it always outputs 2160p and it looks soft.
    Conclusion is that with current software you cannot let the TV scale a 1080p source.

Thanks to Barry I have found the resolution settings. There is however still an issue.
    There is no native settings.
    Eg choosing 720P will upscale SD 576i and de-interlace to 1280 X 720) - 720p TV will scale 720p to 2160p. Double scaling.
    If I use the TV tuner and choose BBC1-SD TV does all the work going from 576i to 2160p

Thank you for the info. This whole resolution business is a bit of a confusing mess. My current setup is a Foxsat HDR > Marantz NR1506 > Sony KD-43EX8005. I've always felt that HD from the Foxsat is a bit soft in comparison to the Sony's native HD Freeview. So I was hoping that the Aura would potentially be an improvement. But if it upscales everything without being able to disable the upscaler, then it rather looks like Humax have spoilt the ship for an 'ay-puth' of tar.

The Foxsat-HDR HDMI output is definitely soft though it looks much better on my new LG Oled C9 than it did on my previous Sony and it's down to the Video processing.

The custom firmware and a small patch we can't discuss here means that HD recordings can be viewed using a g2 boxes built in DLNA client. The difference is very marked. A much sharper and more vibrant image.

It doesn't upscale everything it outputs at the chosen fixed resolution. However that's a real pain choosing a different resolution for different sources. I will take the photo tomorrow with it set to 1080p. That way the two boxes will let the TV scale 1080p to 2160p

If it had a native setting then a 4K source would be output at 2160p. A Full-HD one at 1080p. Just what you want with no change in settings required.

THe Foxsat-HDR does have a native setting that lets the TV scale and many think the video does look better. However it comes with a snag the 720p epg overlay is then overlaid in blurred SD. Give it a try.

Some of the older Humax boxes did have the native setting.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 18:39:22 #370 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant71

Hi all, for some reason today the TV guide is mot showing any programmes marked as record. Strangely bbc stations are the only one showing the record logo. The programmes are set to record in schedule but record logo not showing in tv guide. I'm not sure if the TV guide has recently just had an update. Anyone else seeing this?
    I have tried restart and power cycle but nothing worked.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 19:54:29 #371 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ant71 - 35 mins ago  » 
    Hi all, for some reason today the TV guide is mot showing any programmes marked as record. Strangely bbc stations are the only one showing the record logo. The programmes are set to record in schedule but record logo not showing in tv guide. I'm not sure if the TV guide has recently just had an update. Anyone else seeing this?

Channel date and time and programme needed. Otherwise how can anybody else try and see if they have the same issue ?

Given this info can also check if issue is present on a FVP-5000T

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 20:31:05 #372 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant71

grahamlthompson - 4 mins ago  » 

Ant71 - 35 mins ago  » 

Channel date and time and programme needed. Otherwise how can anybody else try and see if they have the same issue ?

Only bbc 1 and bbc 2 show the record logo. All the other channels whatever programme I set to record the record logo does not appear. It does record the programme but the record "R" logo not showing on tv guide.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 20:38:24 #373 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

Geoff_W - 8 hours ago  » 
    I note the various comments about the poor upscaling capabilities of the Aura and am asking what the consensus of opinion is on this subject.
    I have a Sony 4k UHD tv which is pretty good at upscaling. Most of my viewing is in HD with a small amount of 4k streaming. So would I be better off setting the resolution of the Aura to 1080p? I then assume I would have to change the resolution to 2160p when viewing 4k?
    Comments would be appreciated.

I set the Aura to output 1080P for normal TV content and manually switch the output to 4K50 before using apps that output 4K (Prime, BBC IPlayer UHD, etc).

As others have said, there is no auto res mode output from the Aura which is annoying, as in many cases displays have much better upscaling hardware than STBs (Sony, LG, etc, invest 100s millions into developing custom upscaling hardware), whilst STBs implement simple upscaling hardware which is ‘good enough’ for your average customer.

I do hope Humax add a mode to automatically match HDMI mode to content resolution but I doubt we’ll see it.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 20:44:08 #374 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Ant71 - 4 mins ago  » 

Ant71 - 35 mins ago  » 

Only bbc 1 and bbc 2 show the record logo. All the other channels whatever programme I set to record the record logo does not appear. It does record the programme but the record "R" logo not showing on tv guide.

I can't get at my box at the moment. I do know I have a channel 4-HD series set at the moment and it does show in the epg.

Can you try one and report and I can test more in the morning ?

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 20:44:54 #375 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ant71

grahamlthompson - 37 mins ago  » 

Ant71 - 4 mins ago  » 

Ant71 - 35 mins ago  » 

I can't get at my box at the moment. I do know I have a channel 4-HD series set at the moment and it does show in the epg.
    Can you try one and report and I can test more in the morning ?

I have deleted all my series recordings in the record schedule screen, then set them to record again on the epg and the record logo has appeared again. For example "TASKMASTER" on 4 HD at 9pm wasn't showing the series link record icon. After deleting the recording and set it to record again the icon has reappeared. Im assuming that the TV guide lost all the icons for schedule recordings when it updated. Cheers

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 21:27:18 #376 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.