Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. Fixdit

Fixdit

special member

Ant71 - 44 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 4 mins ago  » 

Ant71 - 35 mins ago  » 
    Hi all, for some reason today the TV guide is mot showing any programmes marked as record. Strangely bbc stations are the only one showing the record logo. The programmes are set to record in schedule but record logo not showing in tv guide. I'm not sure if the TV guide has recently just had an update. Anyone else seeing this?
    I have tried restart and power cycle but nothing worked.

Channel date and time and programme needed. Otherwise how can anybody else try and see if they have the same issue ?
    Given this info can also check if issue is present on a FVP-5000T

Only bbc 1 and bbc 2 show the record logo. All the other channels whatever programme I set to record the record logo does not appear. It does record the programme but the record "R" logo not showing on tv guide.

Hi I reported this problem earlier this week, It has resurfaced on ITVHD 103 , I am a Celeb, In schedule it shows as set for the next 8 Days, but in the EPG no recording flag. This is confusing. Proberbly ITV coding.

| Thu 19 Nov 2020 21:32:22 #377 |
  2. Barry

Barry

senior admin

Eldienne - 16 hours ago  » 
    Not getting any sound from all4 when programme starts.. Sound during ads but then goes off when programme starts!!! Anyone know why?

I'm told this was fixed in recent software update. If your unit has been in standby it should have updated.

I've just streamed something called Taskmaster, and the programme resumed with sound after the first as break.

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 10:36:22 #378 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Barry - 41 mins ago  » 

Not getting any sound from all4 when programme starts.. Sound during ads but then goes off when programme starts!!! Anyone know why?

I'm told this was fixed in recent software update. If your unit has been in standby it should have updated.
    I've just streamed something called Taskmaster, and the programme resumed with sound after the first as break.

Hey Barry! You seem to me to have the holy grail of information I.e. what’s been fixed in firmware updates. Are you allowed to share with those who have parted good money for this machine?

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:19:51 #379 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

I just set this as a series for todays episode. Its flagged on the epg and also flagged for next Monday.

Ant71 what application version and date do you have ?

Freeview Play Preferences - System

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:21:42 #380 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 16 hours ago  » 

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 
    Done some testing. Switched off my AVR scaling HD to 4K. Freesat source is now delivering 1080p to my TV and the scaling is doing a good job. Much the same as using the 4K scaling in my Denon AVR.
    Whatever setting the Aura video is set to it always outputs 2160p and it looks soft.
    Conclusion is that with current software you cannot let the TV scale a 1080p source.

Thanks to Barry I have found the resolution settings. There is however still an issue.
    There is no native settings.
    Eg choosing 720P will upscale SD 576i and de-interlace to 1280 X 720) - 720p TV will scale 720p to 2160p. Double scaling.
    If I use the TV tuner and choose BBC1-SD TV does all the work going from 576i to 2160p

Thank you for the info. This whole resolution business is a bit of a confusing mess. My current setup is a Foxsat HDR > Marantz NR1506 > Sony KD-43EX8005. I've always felt that HD from the Foxsat is a bit soft in comparison to the Sony's native HD Freeview. So I was hoping that the Aura would potentially be an improvement. But if it upscales everything without being able to disable the upscaler, then it rather looks like Humax have spoilt the ship for an 'ay-puth' of tar.

The Foxsat-HDR HDMI output is definitely soft though it looks much better on my new LG Oled C9 than it did on my previous Sony and it's down to the Video processing.
    The custom firmware and a small patch we can't discuss here means that HD recordings can be viewed using a g2 boxes built in DLNA client. The difference is very marked. A much sharper and more vibrant image.
    It doesn't upscale everything it outputs at the chosen fixed resolution. However that's a real pain choosing a different resolution for different sources. I will take the photo tomorrow with it set to 1080p. That way the two boxes will let the TV scale 1080p to 2160p
    If it had a native setting then a 4K source would be output at 2160p. A Full-HD one at 1080p. Just what you want with no change in settings required.
    THe Foxsat-HDR does have a native setting that lets the TV scale and many think the video does look better. However it comes with a snag the 720p epg overlay is then overlaid in blurred SD. Give it a try.
    Some of the older Humax boxes did have the native setting.

Had a good look at the recordings of the chase and found that the best setting is 1080p50

This looks as good as the Freesat box picture with the FVP-5000T coming third.

So for live HD TV use 1080P50. However to watch 4K content from say Disney+ or Youtube you will need to change to a 4K resolution setting. If you don't the box downscales 4K to 1080p leaving the TV to scale it back to 4K which obviously degrades the picture quality.

I can upload the 1920 x 933 images if you want to look at them

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:31:27 #381 |
  6. Barry

Barry

senior admin

boogersa - 18 mins ago  » 

Barry - 41 mins ago  » 

Hey Barry! You seem to me to have the holy grail of information I.e. what’s been fixed in firmware updates. Are you allowed to share with those who have parted good money for this machine?

If I receive info I can share I will.

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 11:38:23 #382 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Barry - 1 hour ago  » 

boogersa - 18 mins ago  » 

Barry - 41 mins ago  » 

If I receive info I can share I will.

Should I infer from your statement that you have information but you can’t share?

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 13:11:56 #383 |
  8. Geoff_W

Geoff_W

special member

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

Done some testing. Switched off my AVR scaling HD to 4K. Freesat source is now delivering 1080p to my TV and the scaling is doing a good job. Much the same as using the 4K scaling in my Denon AVR.
    Whatever setting the Aura video is set to it always outputs 2160p and it looks soft.
    Conclusion is that with current software you cannot let the TV scale a 1080p source.

Thanks to Barry I have found the resolution settings. There is however still an issue.
    Eg choosing 720P will upscale SD 576i and de-interlace to 1280 X 720) - 720p TV will scale 720p to 2160p. Double scaling.
    If I use the TV tuner and choose BBC1-SD TV does all the work going from 576i to 2160p

Thank you for the info. This whole resolution business is a bit of a confusing mess. My current setup is a Foxsat HDR > Marantz NR1506 > Sony KD-43EX8005. I've always felt that HD from the Foxsat is a bit soft in comparison to the Sony's native HD Freeview. So I was hoping that the Aura would potentially be an improvement. But if it upscales everything without being able to disable the upscaler, then it rather looks like Humax have spoilt the ship for an 'ay-puth' of tar.

The Foxsat-HDR HDMI output is definitely soft though it looks much better on my new LG Oled C9 than it did on my previous Sony and it's down to the Video processing.
    The custom firmware and a small patch we can't discuss here means that HD recordings can be viewed using a g2 boxes built in DLNA client. The difference is very marked. A much sharper and more vibrant image.
    It doesn't upscale everything it outputs at the chosen fixed resolution. However that's a real pain choosing a different resolution for different sources. I will take the photo tomorrow with it set to 1080p. That way the two boxes will let the TV scale 1080p to 2160p
    If it had a native setting then a 4K source would be output at 2160p. A Full-HD one at 1080p. Just what you want with no change in settings required.
    THe Foxsat-HDR does have a native setting that lets the TV scale and many think the video does look better. However it comes with a snag the 720p epg overlay is then overlaid in blurred SD. Give it a try.

Had a good look at the recordings of the chase and found that the best setting is 1080p50
    So for live HD TV use 1080P50. However to watch 4K content from say Disney+ or Youtube you will need to change to a 4K resolution setting. If you don't the box downscales 4K to 1080p leaving the TV to scale it back to 4K which obviously degrades the picture quality.

Again, thanks for the info, Graham. Yes, I would like to see the pictures, thanks. With reference to the Foxsat-HDR, where can I find HDMI output resolution settings, I don't seem to be able to find them in the menus. With regard to the Aura, presumably resolution settings are lurking somewhere among the menus because I can't see them mentioned in the User Manual. I wouldn't have a problem manually changing the resolution on the rare occasions I use 4k UHD (only iPlayer at present).

| Fri 20 Nov 2020 13:34:55 #384 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Geoff_W - 7 mins ago  » 

Geoff_W - 1 hour ago  » 

Again, thanks for the info, Graham. Yes, I would like to see the pictures, thanks. With reference to the Foxsat-HDR, where can I find HDMI output resolution settings, I don't seem to be able to find them in the menus. With regard to the Aura, presumably resolution settings are lurking somewhere among the menus because I can't see them mentioned in the User Manual. I wouldn't have a problem manually changing the resolution on the rare occasions I use 4k UHD (only iPlayer at present).

Freeview Play Settings - Channels and Broadcast scroll down to Resolution

There is 3 files will upload the Freesat one in next post

Attachments

1. FVP_1920-x-933.jpg (432.5 KB, 5 downloads) 3 years old
    2. Aura_1920x933.jpg (410.7 KB, 11 downloads) 3 years old
    | Fri 20 Nov 2020 13:45:49 #385 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Freesat Photo

Attachments

1. Freesat-1920-x-933.jpg (432.5 KB, 8 downloads) 3 years old