My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

Faust

special member

Username - 1 week ago  » 

Luke - 1 hour ago  » 
    For a clearer version of that same image here is another link.

Thanks Luke, that is very handy.
    I suspect that I won't get a better answer on this without buying one lol.
    I will look for somewhere that has a no-quibble return policy in case it doesn't meet wife-approval (At the moment she's quite upset that I talked her into cancelling Sky so whatever we replace it with has to pass her inspection).

Well you're a brave soul cancelling the wife's Sky. You won't know when it's going to happen but happen it will. Remember revenge is a dish best served cold.

| Sat 31 Oct 2020 15:25:52 #53 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Username

Faust - 19 hours ago  » 
    Whatever do yon need analogue audio out for?

I'm curious about this too. Presumably these days you can assume that a consumer-level box like this will have a fairly cheap DAC so any analogue output would be low quality. An audiophile would probably prefer the native digital output, allowing you to use a higher quality DAC?

@gomezz: I'm making a lot of guesses about your intended use of it though, and about how the Aura processes audio internally as well. Happy to be corrected on any wrong assumptions.

| Sun 1 Nov 2020 11:08:33 #54 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Hello, I am very interested in this product. I have some questions, if anyone can help?

1. Will the Android TV OS be untouched, so the same experience as on the Nvidia Shield?

2. Will it support HD audio passthrough via HDMI, so bitstreaming DTS HD MA / Dolby True HD / Atmos / DTS:X, via Kodi or the Plex App?

3. Will the TV recordings be encrypted? I'd like to share them across the home network. I can think of a few ways to do this, such as point my existing plex server to the folder on the Aura where the recordings are stored, and have that as a separate library in plex. Or, have kodi installed on the Aura and have the recordings as a shared kodi library. But, if the recordings are encrypted, this might not work.

| Sun 1 Nov 2020 14:05:34 #55 |
  4. gomezz

gomezz

special member

Username - 10 hours ago  » 

Faust - 19 hours ago  » 

I'm curious about this too. Presumably these days you can assume that a consumer-level box like this will have a fairly cheap DAC so any analogue output would be low quality. An audiophile would probably prefer the native digital output, allowing you to use a higher quality DAC?
    @gomezz: I'm making a lot of guesses about your intended use of it though, and about how the Aura processes audio internally as well. Happy to be corrected on any wrong assumptions.

It may be partly due to me still using an ancient AV amp with limited digital audio inputs but four uses of analogue audio for me are

1) To feed my old hi-fi amp when listening to music programmes and the AV amp is just not up to the job on fidelity or grunt;

2) To feed my RF wireless headphones which I use to potter around the house, for example during the build-up to the start of an F1 race;

3) To feed my AV RF transmitter to bounce the signal upstairs to my bedroom TV and stereo;

4) As a secondary audio feed when, for example, I want to listen to TMS while watching the cricket on TV.

I accept a modern AV amp (got my eye on a Denon 2600 for this year's combined Christmas / Birthday present to myself) will enable me to simplify the spaghetti of wiring I currently have and that there are modern solutions to provide multi-room listening /watching and that I could use the optical audio output through an adaptor to be the secondary audio feed but I am very much an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary.

| Sun 1 Nov 2020 21:53:26 #56 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

gomezz - 51 mins ago  » 

Username - 10 hours ago  » 

Faust - 19 hours ago  » 

It may be partly due to me still using an ancient AV amp with limited digital audio inputs but four uses of analogue audio for me are
    1) To feed my old hi-fi amp when listening to music programmes and the AV amp is just not up to the job on fidelity or grunt;
    2) To feed my RF wireless headphones which I use to potter around the house, for example during the build-up to the start of an F1 race;
    3) To feed my AV RF transmitter to bounce the signal upstairs to my bedroom TV and stereo;
    4) As a secondary audio feed when, for example, I want to listen to TMS while watching the cricket on TV.
    I accept a modern AV amp (got my eye on a Denon 2600 for this year's combined Christmas / Birthday present to myself) will enable me to simplify the spaghetti of wiring I currently have and that there are modern solutions to provide multi-room listening /watching and that I could use the optical audio output through an adaptor to be the secondary audio feed but I am very much an evolutionary rather than a revolutionary.

Have you considered the you can also switch multiple toslink inputs to a single AVR toslink input using a optical switch ?

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Switcher-Supports-Dolby-AC3-Compatible/dp/B07MLQ88PV/ref=sr_1_10?crid=26CIC86X6ZPOS&tag=blusas008-21&dchild=1&keywords=optical+toslink+switch&qid=1604267402&sprefix=TOSLINK+OPTICAL+SWITC%2Caps%2C167&sr=8-10

If you want more than this you can get a full matrix optical switch

https://blusas.co.uk/mho.php?loc=https://www.amazon.co.uk/Matrix-Splitter-Optical-Extractor-Switcher/dp/B08BFDY18L/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&tag=blusas008-21&keywords=amazon+optical+matrix+switch&qid=1604267670&sr=8-4

Frankly if you had no wasted our time by posting this info in the first place, you would have found this out a long time ago

Stop treating posters here as idiots. We do have a lot of years of experience and comng up to 76 do have some technical competence.

| Sun 1 Nov 2020 23:01:03 #57 |
  6. gomezz

gomezz

special member

I am already using a combined 4-way HDMI/Optical switch to feed the AV amp's single optical input and one of the TV's HDMI inputs so yes that could be repurposed for just switching the optical audio from the various input devices as an alternate audio feed while using a modern amp to handle the HDMI switching.

Not sure why you say I am thinking of anyone as an idiot. I am the one being ignorant of the capabilities of more modern equipment and asking questions based on my own range of knowledge and experience. The use of the optical feed possibly with an adaptor only just struck me though should have been obvious with clearer thought on my part and only then when linked to replacing my current amp which has no HDMI capability.

| Mon 2 Nov 2020 0:54:39 #58 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Just an FYI. I contacted Humax this morning asking for a specific release date in November and the online chat person said there could be a delay on the release date due to upcoming lockdown in England. Don't shoot the messenger just stating what I was told.

| Mon 2 Nov 2020 13:59:34 #59 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

laowai

I currently use a 5000 and find the Netflix button on the RC very useful. After a chat with Humax I'm told not only is there no Netflix button but no Netflix access at all Apparently Netflix have not signed up to this model. So its means flipping back to TV, and my wife has enough problems with three handsets already. (sound system).

| Tue 3 Nov 2020 11:08:07 #60 |
  9. davidrew

davidrew

special member

Bit short sighted by Netflix. Looking at the pricing I assume that Humax will phase out the 5000T which would leave no Netflix presence in the Humax line-up except for Freesat (which they are not pursuing).

If the box has access to the Google Play store could you not download the Netflix App? They may have blocked it somehow but the blurb does state:
    "On-Demand: Over 5000+ apps and games on the Google Play store. Including BT Sport, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and more."

I suppose we won't know for sure until someone gets their hands on a box to try it out.

| Tue 3 Nov 2020 12:06:55 #61 |
  10. Mars

Mars

special member

davidrew - 1 hour ago  » 
    Bit short sighted by Netflix. Looking at the pricing I assume that Humax will phase out the 5000T which would leave no Netflix presence in the Humax line-up except for Freesat (which they are not pursuing).
    If the box has access to the Google Play store could you not download the Netflix App? They may have blocked it somehow but the blurb does state:
    "On-Demand: Over 5000+ apps and games on the Google Play store. Including BT Sport, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ and more."
    I suppose we won't know for sure until someone gets their hands on a box to try it out.

And it has Chromecast built in.

| Tue 3 Nov 2020 13:14:30 #62 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.