My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

picture breaking up

(125 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Wtf. ITV 2 was 100% quality when I first posted a few hours ago that picture was great is now showing 58-60% picture quality. Picture now breaks up. Strength has dropped down to 82% but don’t know what it was a couple of hours ago. Can anyone explain the drop in quality? Atmospheric conditions? Still nice outside!
    Does this mean the aura isn’t faulty? If it gets a decent strength/quality it will be fine? Something else is reducing strength/quality?

| Fri 28 May 2021 20:26:35 #21 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

boogersa - 2 hours ago  » 
    Wtf. ITV 2 was 100% quality when I first posted a few hours ago that picture was great is now showing 58-60% picture quality. Picture now breaks up. Strength has dropped down to 82% but don’t know what it was a couple of hours ago. Can anyone explain the drop in quality? Atmospheric conditions? Still nice outside!
    Does this mean the aura isn’t faulty? If it gets a decent strength/quality it will be fine? Something else is reducing strength/quality?

How long have you had the Aura? Was it ok before? I did have a fluctuating quality problem and it was to do with The Aura itself. When I replaced it I had no problem with fluctuating signal quality at all. If other TVs or PVR ok on that aerial are getting good signal and signal quality then obvious conclusion. Check cables and connectors. Call Humax support or email. They will tell you to reset. If no improvement Then they may ask to take box to shop and test there if not bought online. Any other channels causing problems? If still time return it.

| Fri 28 May 2021 23:08:14 #22 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

ChemicalRob

I started the signal or software thread, and was going to post an update on there, but it fits in better on this thread.

My problem was 100% signal, 0% quality on The HD channels on channel 55, com 7. This resulted in no picture on those channels. An attenuator made things worse, but a booster gave me a picture with quality fluctuating between 0-35%.

Since then, I have now achieved a quality of 100% with the same setup. Spookily I achieved this the same way as mentioned above. That is, I did have the Aura sat on top of a Sky box, below a Blu-ray player sat on the shelf above. When I swapped the Aura to the top shelf on its own, the signal quality shot up, but was still fluctuating somewhat, I then found that if I pull the Aura forwards on the shelf the signal quality went to 100% and it was/is rock solid. It has been solid for a week.

If I slide the Aura back on the shelf, the quality goes down and it fluctuates again. Pull it forwards, and the signal quality stabilises again.

I have tried pushing the Aura back, and pulling on the cables to try to simulate the effect, but I can't. I have no idea what's going on, but it sounded so similar to what Boogersa is seeing I thought I would mention it here in this thread.

Switching the Sky box and Blu-ray off makes absolutely no difference.

| Fri 28 May 2021 23:33:23 #23 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

ChemicalRob - 4 mins ago  » 
    I started the signal or software thread, and was going to post an update on there, but it fits in better on this thread.
    My problem was 100% signal, 0% quality on The HD channels on channel 55, com 7. This resulted in no picture on those channels. An attenuator made things worse, but a booster gave me a picture with quality fluctuating between 0-35%.
    Since then, I have now achieved a quality of 100% with the same setup. Spookily I achieved this the same way as mentioned above. That is, I did have the Aura sat on top of a Sky box, below a Blu-ray player sat on the shelf above. When I swapped the Aura to the top shelf on its own, the signal quality shot up, but was still fluctuating somewhat, I then found that if I pull the Aura forwards on the shelf the signal quality went to 100% and it was/is rock solid. It has been solid for a week.
    If I slide the Aura back on the shelf, the quality goes down and it fluctuates again. Pull it forwards, and the signal quality stabilises again.
    I have tried pushing the Aura back, and pulling on the cables to try to simulate the effect, but I can't. I have no idea what's going on, but it sounded so similar to what Boogersa is seeing I thought I would mention it here in this thread.
    Switching the Sky box and Blu-ray off makes absolutely no difference.

Does that hint at some lack of internal shielding in some Auras? I’m not technical enough to know. My faulty Aura was not on top of another device but resting directly on a computer desk with 4000T in the same aerial chain but well away. My new Aura has no problem in the same position.

| Fri 28 May 2021 23:43:46 #24 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

This morning the channels that, yesterday, were great and then were not are now great again. Strength 82%, quality 100%.

| Sat 29 May 2021 10:08:28 #25 |
  6. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

This thread gave me an idea. Mu aura is on a shelf with a HDR-1000S about 2" above which is generally powered all day. It's on a seperate glass shelf. All the Mux on my Lark stoke relay are of equal power.

I do get pixellation from time to time both on the DVB-T muxes and the the DVB-T2 mux.

I took an a4 piece of black card and cut out a piece of kitchen foil to the exact size. I folded over the edges about 0.25" all the way round. And taped it down with the folded edges underneath . Inverted the card with the foil underneath and covered the box with the card foil side down. Theory is that the box screening in a plastic box could be poor to a rf source above the box.

Early doors but not seen a flicker all day today. Both recordings and live TV.

All channels meter at 95% signal and 100% quality with no fluctuation.

The coming high pressure system should be a good test.

The box sits on a 4K bluray player which is never used other than to test it's DLNA client when the Aura is powered.

| Sat 29 May 2021 15:12:50 #26 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 
    I took an a4 piece of black card and cut out a piece of kitchen foil to the exact size. I folded over the edges about 0.25" all the way round. And taped it down with the folded edges underneath . Inverted the card with the foil underneath and covered the box with the card foil side down. Theory is that the box screening in a plastic box could be poor to a rf source above the box.

Interesting experiment; keep us posted on how it works out.

| Sat 29 May 2021 17:18:03 #27 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

grahamlthompson - 4 hours ago  » 
    This thread gave me an idea. Mu aura is on a shelf with a HDR-1000S about 2" above which is generally powered all day. It's on a seperate glass shelf. All the Mux on my Lark stoke relay are of equal power.
    I do get pixellation from time to time both on the DVB-T muxes and the the DVB-T2 mux.

The box sits on a 4K bluray player which is never used other than to test it's DLNA client when the Aura is powered.

So I understand. The 1000s is sitting on the foil card on a shelf with the aura on the shelf underneath?

Thing is, great if it works but this the 21st century and we shouldn’t have to be doing this sort of thing. It’s all a bit “tinfoil hat” for me! but I’ll be following this thread closely.

But I get great signal quality in the morning and the aura doesn’t have pixelation only when the quality mysteriously drops. Does that mean my aura ain’t faulty?

| Sat 29 May 2021 19:20:10 #28 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

boogersa - 42 mins ago  » 

So I understand. The 1000s is sitting on the foil card on a shelf with the aura on the shelf underneath?
    Thing is, great if it works but this the 21st century and we shouldn’t have to be doing this sort of thing. It’s all a bit “tinfoil hat” for me! but I’ll be following this thread closely.
    But I get great signal quality in the morning and the aura doesn’t have pixelation only when the quality mysteriously drops. Does that mean my aura ain’t faulty?

No the 1000S is sitting on the glass shelf, The aura is on a lower shelf sitting on top a 4K bluray player, with the foil next to the aura top. Only visible sign is the black card covering the foil.

So far no problems. There are no vents on top of the Aura so zero effect on ventilation. Not had the top of so no idea if there is any screening over the motherboard.

If it works a simple internal screen on the underside of the motherboard may fix it as well.

Thing is all kit like HDMI cables and routers can radiate RF much of it in the UHF band or harmonics.

TBH humax have no chance of checking what we all have. However at the moment it is looking like it is vulnerable. Bring back steel cases.

Glass unless leaded or metallic coated has a minimal attenuation on radiated RF.

Simple enough to repeat the experiment. Just place a peice of foil on the top of the aura.

If you have some thin ferrite sheet it should work even better. Anything a magnet can stick to. Even a layer of tin can lids. You are in good position to test this.

Your issue of course might be totally external.

I remember a faulty street light ballast radiating UHF and blocking TV reception for instance.

The RF screen on coax cable on the best coax cable is copper foil under a copper wire braided screen.

https://www.fscables.com/products/wf-100-cai-approved.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwzMeFBhBwEiwAzwS8zFfQA8V4TAo3Pqaxfu0uHefkRQH9lZ0VxdLmJ2JEwbVHuEpUZ4ZTwhoCa7gQAvD_BwE

| Sat 29 May 2021 20:23:06 #29 |
  10. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

grahamlthompson - 2 hours ago  » 

boogersa - 42 mins ago  » 

No the 1000S is sitting on the glass shelf, The aura is on a lower shelf sitting on top a 4K bluray player, with the foil next to the aura top. Only visible sign is the black card covering the foil.
    So far no problems. There are no vents on top of the Aura so zero effect on ventilation. Not had the top of so no idea if there is any screening over the motherboard.
    If it works a simple internal screen on the underside of the motherboard may fix it as well.
    Thing is all kit like HDMI cables and routers can radiate RF much of it in the UHF band or harmonics.
    TBH humax have no chance of checking what we all have. However at the moment it is looking like it is vulnerable. Bring back steel cases.
    Glass unless leaded or metallic coated has a minimal attenuation on radiated RF.
    Simple enough to repeat the experiment. Just place a peice of foil on the top of the aura.
    If you have some thin ferrite sheet it should work even better. Anything a magnet can stick to. Even a layer of tin can lids. You are in good position to test this.
    Your issue of course might be totally external.
    I remember a faulty street light ballast radiating UHF and blocking TV reception for instance.
    The RF screen on coax cable on the best coax cable is copper foil under a copper wire braided screen.
    https://www.fscables.com/products/wf-100-cai-approved.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwzMeFBhBwEiwAzwS8zFfQA8V4TAo3Pqaxfu0uHefkRQH9lZ0VxdLmJ2JEwbVHuEpUZ4ZTwhoCa7gQAvD_BwE

Very interesting, but as others have said, the Aura should not need to be covered in tin foil to work. Interesting experiment that might highlight a problem. But how come I had one Aura that had picture break up and a replacement that didn’t? Both were in same position on desk and not on top of another device.

| Sat 29 May 2021 22:36:18 #30 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.