My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

picture breaking up

(125 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Paul Bton - 23 mins ago  » 

technick - 2 weeks ago  » 
    I have pixilation and sound glitch issues on many channels. Signal strength is fine for other TV/STBs. A TV connected to the passthrough of the Aura has no problem with the same channels. Some example channels affected are Pick, Drama, Talking Pictures. Other Freeview TVs on same aerial are fine also. Just the Aura has these problems. Recordings off these channels frequently go back to start on playback perhaps as break up is so bad at times. All HD channels are perfect. Anyone any ideas or is this a faulty Aura box?

Have a look at the Poor Signal/ poor software string. I had similar problems but signal quality was going up and down as I checked signal strength and quality. I tried an attenuator. It didn’t work for me. I replace Aura with one that worked properly. End of pixilation and break up. Your issue may be different. But don’t delay if you have recently purchased.

This is exactly why I suggested that perhaps Humax could arrange a direct replacement for people on the Beta programme, so that they can investigate particularly troublesome units directly. Because it seems to me that there are a number of people who have exhausted all the suggestions with their original unit, get a replacement and that is fine. But without Humax getting hands on with the faulty box, there is no way to tell if it is a faulty component or poor construction.

| Tue 25 May 2021 15:33:31 #11 |
  2. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

Paul Bton - 23 mins ago  » 

technick - 2 weeks ago  » 
    I have pixilation and sound glitch issues on many channels. Signal strength is fine for other TV/STBs. A TV connected to the passthrough of the Aura has no problem with the same channels. Some example channels affected are Pick, Drama, Talking Pictures. Other Freeview TVs on same aerial are fine also. Just the Aura has these problems. Recordings off these channels frequently go back to start on playback perhaps as break up is so bad at times. All HD channels are perfect. Anyone any ideas or is this a faulty Aura box?

Have a look at the Poor Signal/ poor software string. I had similar problems but signal quality was going up and down as I checked signal strength and quality. I tried an attenuator. It didn’t work for me. I replace Aura with one that worked properly. End of pixilation and break up. Your issue may be different. But don’t delay if you have recently purchased.

This is exactly why I suggested that perhaps Humax could arrange a direct replacement for people on the Beta programme, so that they can investigate particularly troublesome units directly. Because it seems to me that there are a number of people who have exhausted all the suggestions with their original unit, get a replacement and that is fine. But without Humax getting hands on with the faulty box, there is no way to tell if it is a faulty component or poor construction.

Yes a good suggestion by you. It would be good if Humax could offer such a direct return scheme (subject to sufficient questions and testing options first) and determine what the problems are as well as helping those Aura customers affected.

| Tue 25 May 2021 17:26:02 #12 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

technick

boogersa - 18 hours ago  » 

technick - 5 hours ago  » 
    Although other TVs/STBs in my house are happy with DTT signal I get here, the Aura wasn't. I had ruled out any cable issues by swapping devices and cables around. I then put a amplifier on the Aura aerial input which has fixed picture/sound break up on affected SD channels.

Can you specify make/model of booster please and how you configured it please?

It is an SLX 27828HSR single output amp. It is between the aerial socket and the Aura as I do not need an amp on the whole house, as I said Aura is only device that has problem with my signal. This amp has variable gain, so I have adjusted this to get good signal, but not at 100% (signal checked on affected channels in the Aura settings).

| Wed 26 May 2021 5:29:02 #13 |
  4. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

technick - 4 hours ago  » 

boogersa - 18 hours ago  » 

technick - 5 hours ago  » 
    Although other TVs/STBs in my house are happy with DTT signal I get here, the Aura wasn't. I had ruled out any cable issues by swapping devices and cables around. I then put a amplifier on the Aura aerial input which has fixed picture/sound break up on affected SD channels.

Can you specify make/model of booster please and how you configured it please?

It is an SLX 27828HSR single output amp. It is between the aerial socket and the Aura as I do not need an amp on the whole house, as I said Aura is only device that has problem with my signal. This amp has variable gain, so I have adjusted this to get good signal, but not at 100% (signal checked on affected channels in the Aura settings).

Can I ask what were signal strength and signal quality before and after amplification? From the Aura signal test in settings.

| Wed 26 May 2021 9:35:11 #14 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

technick

Generally before amp 80 to 90% signal but would drop to 60% sporadically at that time the quality would drop causing the picture/sound glitches. With amp set gain to give signal 90ish% get solid 100% quality. I do have large tall trees nearby, which may attenuate signal when leaves are out and when wet, so maybe what causes this and maybe the Aura is more prone to any signal loss. Since amp in place we have had wet weather, but no signal issues. Works for me, so far so good.

| Wed 26 May 2021 15:40:08 #15 |
  6. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

technick - 7 hours ago  » 
    Generally before amp 80 to 90% signal but would drop to 60% sporadically at that time the quality would drop causing the picture/sound glitches. With amp set gain to give signal 90ish% get solid 100% quality. I do have large tall trees nearby, which may attenuate signal when leaves are out and when wet, so maybe what causes this and maybe the Aura is more prone to any signal loss. Since amp in place we have had wet weather, but no signal issues. Works for me, so far so good.

And what was the signal quality as read from the signal test in the settings menu (not just signal strength) before amplification? And was it steady or fluctuating?

| Wed 26 May 2021 22:52:35 #16 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

My picture quality for SD channels is much better. I had my aura sitting on my 5.1 Bly ray player. I was reluctant to move the blu ray player because of all the cabling. But I bit the bullet and put the blu ray player on the shelf below. There’s also a games console that is also on the below shelf and it now sits on the blu ray player. Basically the aura is “on its own” on the shelf underneath the tv. I’ve tried to keep its cables away from anything else electrical. So far so good. Signal quality was near or is 100% when it was between 45-70%. Surprised it worked but pleased. Yes, there will be those out there rolling their eyes skyward with the “first thing I would have tried” but all my cabling is decent - not basic stuff.
    It’s not perfect. Handful of channels not great but way better overall than before.

| Fri 28 May 2021 17:38:00 #17 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

technick

Paul Bton - 1 day ago  » 

technick - 7 hours ago  » 

And what was the signal quality as read from the signal test in the settings menu (not just signal strength) before amplification? And was it steady or fluctuating?

It was fluctuating. It is now solid 100%.

| Fri 28 May 2021 18:20:17 #18 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

boogersa - 46 mins ago  » 
    Basically the aura is “on its own” on the shelf underneath the tv. I’ve tried to keep its cables away from anything else electrical.

So do you think the improvement is coming from isolating the Aura or rearranging the cables?

| Fri 28 May 2021 18:26:41 #19 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Martin Liddle - 18 mins ago  » 

boogersa - 46 mins ago  » 
    Basically the aura is “on its own” on the shelf underneath the tv. I’ve tried to keep its cables away from anything else electrical.

So do you think the improvement is coming from isolating the Aura or rearranging the cables?

It’s kinda both. The aura is nowhere near anything else (separated by a layer of glass on the stand/unit) and neither are its cables. Only the hdmi cables of the respective games console, aura, Bly ray player are close to each other once they get near the tv connections.

| Fri 28 May 2021 18:48:16 #20 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.