My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

picture breaking up

(125 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

macaronipie

boogersa - 8 hours ago  » 
    Here’s some more info. This all happens in a space of a minute or so - doesn’t matter which channels I use. So, if one of the SD channels is ok and 100% quality, I can switch to another SD channel and the quality drops down to about 55% and if I switch back to the previous SD channel which was 100%, it is now poor too (e.g. 55%). But…if I do a full reboot and it restarts on the same channel it was on prior to the reboot (55% quality) the quality is back to 100% after reboot (and seems to stay at this level of quality until I change channel).
    This must be a fault with the Aura?

My transmitter is Blackhill also, I am about 35 miles from it, Aura manually tuned. Aura suffers from lower signal quality and thus dropouts
    and pixellation. This Aura is cabled directly to the aerial using Webro WF100, the Aura then feeds the signal to a Humax FVP5000T and
    then to a Sony 4k TV. Where the Aura is glitchy the signal strength and quality to the other devices is higher and stable with no dropouts or pixellation.

I contacted Humax about this and even though telling them the scenario here it was always referenced that it must be something to do with my set up, even though they have been told on several occasions that other Humax products and the TV do not suffer from same problem
    Quite clearly the Aura is at fault, never mind all the other problems it throws up.
    Any amount of info about what kind of signal and KW's the transmitter is broadcasting or what aerial is being used does not answer the basic question, why is the Aura suffering from dropouts and pixellation, when other Humax products or the TVs they are connected to don't.
    I will be writing to Humax soon as I really feel it is time to get this unit replaced, others are reporting that replacement Auras do not suffer with pixellation and dropouts.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 8:47:54 #61 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

macaronipie - 1 hour ago  » 

Here’s some more info. This all happens in a space of a minute or so - doesn’t matter which channels I use. So, if one of the SD channels is ok and 100% quality, I can switch to another SD channel and the quality drops down to about 55% and if I switch back to the previous SD channel which was 100%, it is now poor too (e.g. 55%). But…if I do a full reboot and it restarts on the same channel it was on prior to the reboot (55% quality) the quality is back to 100% after reboot (and seems to stay at this level of quality until I change channel).

My transmitter is Blackhill also, I am about 35 miles from it, Aura manually tuned. Aura suffers from lower signal quality and thus dropouts
    and pixellation. This Aura is cabled directly to the aerial using Webro WF100, the Aura then feeds the signal to a Humax FVP5000T and
    then to a Sony 4k TV. Where the Aura is glitchy the signal strength and quality to the other devices is higher and stable with no dropouts or pixellation.
    I contacted Humax about this and even though telling them the scenario here it was always referenced that it must be something to do with my set up, even though they have been told on several occasions that other Humax products and the TV do not suffer from same problem
    Quite clearly the Aura is at fault, never mind all the other problems it throws up.
    Any amount of info about what kind of signal and KW's the transmitter is broadcasting or what aerial is being used does not answer the basic question, why is the Aura suffering from dropouts and pixellation, when other Humax products or the TVs they are connected to don't.
    I will be writing to Humax soon as I really feel it is time to get this unit replaced, others are reporting that replacement Auras do not suffer with pixellation and dropouts.

No you’re wrong it must be the Blackhill transmitter!!!!

I’m really now wanting my box replaced. But I need Humax to authorise this so I can get John Lewis to take action. I’ve been on the JL website and it states that if you have a fault after 35 days that they will replace or repair….it doesn’t state you’ve to jump through hoops with the manufacturer first!

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 10:45:24 #62 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

macaronipie - 2 hours ago  » 

When did you get your Aura? Got mine Nov 2020.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 11:01:18 #63 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Well, some good news. I decided to contact John Lewis again and they’ve agreed on an exchange. I guess it depends on luck and who you speak to. I will update here when new machine is up and running.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 11:57:40 #64 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

macaronipie - 3 hours ago  » 

Just out of curiosity. Can you reboot when it’s on an SD channel with poor quality and see if like me after reboot you get 100% signal strength…until you start changing channels.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 12:44:49 #65 |
  6. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

boogersa - 43 mins ago  » 
    Well, some good news. I decided to contact John Lewis again and they’ve agreed on an exchange. I guess it depends on luck and who you speak to. I will update here when new machine is up and running.

Well done! You just have to be persistent and state the problem. The Aura does not work correctly. It is so obviously a problem with that particular Aura as it was with mine. Keep a note of old serial number as can be sent to Humax so they can check it. I’m pretty confident that your new Aura will have none of these issues. All speculation about set up and signal will just be of academic interest.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 12:47:09 #66 |
  7. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

macaronipie - 6 hours ago  » 

Do replace it sooner rather than later. Yes email Humax support but also the shop or online vendor you bought from. Humax has probably done a lot of resetting and checking with you, but ultimately as you say if other devices are ok on that aerial and you don’t have signal problems generally, then that Aura may be defective. I replaced my Aura with Richersounds. Now I have no problem. But generally I found it good to report problems promptly to the vendor and then try Humax. Then when resetting and manual tuning doesn’t work you go back to vendor and they should replace it if they ever want to sell you something in future.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 15:31:51 #67 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Another day. Simple DIY hidden foil screen has worked. Not a flicker on any live TV or recordings.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 19:14:07 #68 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

grahamlthompson - 16 mins ago  » 
    Another day. Simple DIY hidden foil screen has worked. Not a flicker on any live TV or recordings.

Might be a daft question Graham, but are you in contact with anyone at Humax Towers who are aware of your findings?

If a DIY fix does the trick it might mean Humax engineering a solution could be an option.

When you say tin foil, excuse my ignorance but it's not the stuff you put round a turkey before it goes in the oven is it, cause I've got plenty of that.

Still doesn't explain though why swapping a unit would cure the problem for some if a modification to the internals on more recent produced units hasn't taken place.

Time will tell I suppose..

As far as my (unmodded) unit is concerned, a few "ghost" pixelation events on BBC2 HD 'live' on the cricket and a pixelation fest on the recording of The Pact from BBC1 HD last night, with about 10 separate events over an hour

Not good, but ultimately the ball is in the Humax court..

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 19:37:46 #69 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

andyd1302 - 1 hour ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 16 mins ago  » 

Might be a daft question Graham, but are you in contact with anyone at Humax Towers who are aware of your findings?
    If a DIY fix does the trick it might mean Humax engineering a solution could be an option.
    When you say tin foil, excuse my ignorance but it's not the stuff you put round a turkey before it goes in the oven is it, cause I've got plenty of that.
    Still doesn't explain though why swapping a unit would cure the problem for some if a modification to the internals on more recent produced units hasn't taken place.
    Time will tell I suppose..
    As far as my (unmodded) unit is concerned, a few "ghost" pixelation events on BBC2 HD 'live' on the cricket and a pixelation fest on the recording of The Pact from BBC1 HD last night, with about 10 separate events over an hour
    Not good, but ultimately the ball is in the Humax court..

I don’t think my and Macaronipie’s issue is same that is being encountered and fixed with tinfoil. I’m not having much in the way of pixelation on HD channels. It’s poor quality on SD channels.

| Wed 2 Jun 2021 21:06:40 #70 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.