My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

picture breaking up

(125 posts)
  1. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

andyd1302 - 11 hours ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 16 mins ago  » 
    Another day. Simple DIY hidden foil screen has worked. Not a flicker on any live TV or recordings.

Might be a daft question Graham, but are you in contact with anyone at Humax Towers who are aware of your findings?
    If a DIY fix does the trick it might mean Humax engineering a solution could be an option.
    When you say tin foil, excuse my ignorance but it's not the stuff you put round a turkey before it goes in the oven is it, cause I've got plenty of that.
    Still doesn't explain though why swapping a unit would cure the problem for some if a modification to the internals on more recent produced units hasn't taken place.
    Time will tell I suppose..
    As far as my (unmodded) unit is concerned, a few "ghost" pixelation events on BBC2 HD 'live' on the cricket and a pixelation fest on the recording of The Pact from BBC1 HD last night, with about 10 separate events over an hour
    Not good, but ultimately the ball is in the Humax court..

Yes why does swapping a unit solve the problem (as in my case)? I assumed some early Aura had shown later to have defects in production and somehow got through quality control or were internally damaged in transit. If so the problem may have been fixed in newer units. All supposition on my part. If so a quick replacement scheme or a recall would be in order. As a precedent: Apple used to recall certain laptops for free hard disk replacement. They did the same with my iMac hard drive and when in the shop we noticed a screen defect so they replaced that too. Certainly made me a happy customer.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 7:27:53 #71 |
  2. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andyd1302 - 13 hours ago  » 

Another day. Simple DIY hidden foil screen has worked. Not a flicker on any live TV or recordings.

Might be a daft question Graham, but are you in contact with anyone at Humax Towers who are aware of your findings?
    If a DIY fix does the trick it might mean Humax engineering a solution could be an option.
    When you say tin foil, excuse my ignorance but it's not the stuff you put round a turkey before it goes in the oven is it, cause I've got plenty of that.
    Still doesn't explain though why swapping a unit would cure the problem for some if a modification to the internals on more recent produced units hasn't taken place.
    As far as my (unmodded) unit is concerned, a few "ghost" pixelation events on BBC2 HD 'live' on the cricket and a pixelation fest on the recording of The Pact from BBC1 HD last night, with about 10 separate events over an hour

Ordinary Aluminium kitchen foil. The light stuff you wrap up your sarnies in, plus a a4 black card sheet. These are handy to hide the cables at the rear of the unit when in a clear glass kit rack

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 9:18:02 #72 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

andyd1302 - 13 hours ago  » 

Pretty sure Humax have access to the testing threads. In any case I imagine Barry will have mentioned this.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 9:23:48 #73 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

Thanks Graham, I think I'll have a go out of curiosity, but it would be pretty astonishing if you've managed to highlight a source of pixelation (and much Aura owner viewing angst) with something as basic as cooking foil, but the principle does make sense as shielding.

Perhaps Barry could confirm if Humax Towers are aware of your findings & taking it into consideration?

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 9:35:58 #74 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

A bit Heath Robinson but it does appear to work. No glitches today on BBC1-HD and ITV-HD.

The black (top side) of the card feels warm. Contact thermometer measures 30C. 7C above room ambient.

Attachments

1. foil_screen.jpg (378 KB, 1 downloads) 2 years old
    | Thu 3 Jun 2021 10:59:49 #75 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

grahamlthompson - 6 mins ago  » 
    A bit Heath Robinson but it does appear to work. No glitches today on BBC1-HD and ITV-HD.

The black (top side) of the card feels warm. Contact thermometer measures 30C. 7C above room ambient.

Maybe future Auras will come with this in the box?!

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 11:06:44 #76 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 8 mins ago  » 

Have you tried removing the foil to see if the problem returns?

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 11:10:33 #77 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 1 min ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 8 mins ago  » 

Have you tried removing the foil to see if the problem returns?

I will remove the card now.

Should be able to watch some recordings made after the foil was removed later today.

One due on 5-HD in 1 hour.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 11:14:37 #78 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

boogersa - 27 mins ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 6 mins ago  » 

Maybe future Auras will come with this in the box?!

I did consider welding a makeshift Faraday cage to shove in the corner of the lounge for the Aura until the wife stopped me, though I did argue gunmetal grey is on trend this season

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 11:42:22 #79 |
  10. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No issues found with the first two recordings. So it will be some days before I can show if the foil screen is making a difference or not. After sunset recordings seem to be more prone to issues.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 14:21:34 #80 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.