My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

picture breaking up

(125 posts)
  1. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

No issues found with the first two recordings. So it will be some days before I can show if the foil screen is making a difference or not. After sunset recordings seem to be more prone to issues.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 14:22:12 #81 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 3 hours ago  » 
    I will remove the card now.
    Should be able to watch some recordings made after the foil was removed later today.

I am very interested in the results. I have been hesitating about buying an Aura and the pixelation issues on SD channels is the last issue that I would like to see resolved.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 14:39:27 #82 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

SSThing

special member

Possibly a more effective solution would be to use fine wire mesh, in effect a Faraday cage/layer but with the benefits of air circulation and no heat build up?

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 15:18:21 #83 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 38 mins ago  » 

Should be able to watch some recordings made after the foil was removed later today.

I am very interested in the results. I have been hesitating about buying an Aura and the pixelation issues on SD channels is the last issue that I would like to see resolved.

I don't record SD other than to test. The FEC settings on the HD Mux used to increase the capacity makes the signal less robust. If HD works then SD should be fine. Do you remember the problem on some Freesat kit when they did the same with satellite.

Only time I watch SD is breakfast on BBC1 simply because you get the local news.

I watch this every morning streamed live to bubbleupnp on a samsung tablet using VLC as the player. Performance is superior to the Aura app and you can set bubble upnp to create a full screen 16:9 image without borders. My box wakes from full sby using the timer capability.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 15:23:00 #84 |
  5. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 38 mins ago  » 

I don't record SD other than to test. The FEC settings on the HD Mux used to increase the capacity makes the signal less robust. If HD works then SD should be fine. Do you remember the problem on some Freesat kit when they did the same with satellite.
    Only time I watch SD is breakfast on BBC1 simply because you get the local news.
    I watch this every morning streamed live to bubbleupnp on a samsung tablet using VLC as the player. Performance is superior to the Aura app and you can set bubble upnp to create a full screen 16:9 image without borders. My box wakes from full sby using the timer capability.

I know some of us rarely watch SD but my Faulty Aura ONLY had problems in the SD channels. The HD channels were fine. Who wants to by a Humax that only works in HD channels (5 channels and kids one)? It should work in all channels.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 17:01:22 #85 |
  6. Paul Bton

Paul Bton

special member

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 
    Possibly a more effective solution would be to use fine wire mesh, in effect a Faraday cage/layer but with the benefits of air circulation and no heat build up?

Some could make a line of Aura faraday cages

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 17:03:49 #86 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

boogersa - 1 day ago  » 
    Well, some good news. I decided to contact John Lewis again and they’ve agreed on an exchange. I guess it depends on luck and who you speak to. I will update here when new machine is up and running.

New machine up and running. NO ISSUES! HD channels fine (and they were ok on old machine) but more importantly SD channels getting a constant 100% signal quality - no fluctuating signal quality. No breakup or pixelation.
    To say I’m happy is an understatement. For those with same issue…get it replaced!

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 18:48:14 #87 |
  8. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 2 hours ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

You would have to breach the Faraday cage,.

1 to get the UHF signals into it

2 to get the HDMI signals out.

The whole point of a faraday cage (typically a car), Is every point within the cage is at the same potential. Wherever you touch is at the same potential so it protects you from direct lightning strike killing you as it is only current that kills with no driving voltage the current is zero.

This is a complete red herring.

What should you do if a close up lightning strike hits the ground near you

The answer is stand on one leg. The potential at the point of the strike decays to zero over a distance. The wider your legs are the higher the voltage that drives the currant uo one leg and down the other. This passes through a certain point of your Anatomy. Ouch

The most vulnerable animal that are often killed by lightning are cows. Wide distance between front and back legs.

Pole transformers on farms have insulators on the ssay wires for this pole.

Birds happily sit on high voltage wires. Should they peck on a earthed metal cross bar - instant death.

50 yrs as a designer and operator of such systems working for the YEB and National grid mean I do understand how this works.

Foil works as a rf transmission suppressor because the alternating field generate currents that produce produce currents that generate a field in opposition to the rf field that produces it thus reducing it. One of faradays laws of electromagnetic induction.

A faraday cage has nothing to do with this.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 20:22:56 #88 |
  9. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Paul Bton - 3 hours ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

A faraday cage requires a Construction that a a magnet can stick to, In the same way that a pan that works on a induction hub works.

It has nothing to do with this thread. Whoever introduced this clearly has no idea what a Faraday cage is. It's completely irrelevant. National grid has indoor high voltage subststations. Access close to high voltage kit is contained within steel cages with access doors to high voltage kit only available with keys only released when the kit is 100% isolated.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 20:52:43 #89 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

grahamlthompson - 39 mins ago  » 

Paul Bton - 3 hours ago  » 

SSThing - 1 hour ago  » 

A faraday cage requires a Construction that a a magnet can stick to, In the same way that a pan that works on a induction hub works.
    It has nothing to do with this thread. Whoever introduced this clearly has no idea what a Faraday cage is. It's completely irrelevant. National grid has indoor high voltage subststations. Access close to high voltage kit is contained within steel cages with access doors to high voltage kit only available with keys only released when the kit is 100% isolated.

I think the most important info in this thread is that there are faulty Auras out there.

| Thu 3 Jun 2021 21:33:42 #90 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.