My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Tuner Issue? Imaging Pixelating

(14 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

eurobuff

Hi, I received my delivery of my shiny new Aura box on Sunday. I was hesitant in buying it initially as I read that it had tuner issues, but the more recent reviews said that it had been fixed, so I thought I’d be OK. However when I am using it, either using it to watch live or playing back recordings the box has made it is suffering from the image pixelating, sometimes it’s just a couple of blocks on screen, other times half the screen pixelating and sounding like a bird is chirping.

Although I’ve seen things like this when the signal isn’t strong enough, this box is reading signal strength 40%, quality between 83%-53% depending on which mux it is. I noticed today when I was watching a program, that in the adverts it was showing a trailer for the next program. I saw the trailer 3 times, the trailer was the same trailer and each time the image pixelated at exactly the same point in the trailer which I thought was odd and got me to thinking that if it is a tuner issue it’s a strange coincidence the image breaking up at the same time?

When I set the box up on Sunday I did carry out the software update which said pixalating images had been fixed?

Can anyone help.This is my only gripe with the box, but it’s a major one. I like the idea of the box and what it can do, I would like to get it to work if possible.

| Wed 18 May 2022 0:22:40 #1 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

A1944

special member

Signal strength 40%, quality between 83%-53% is not very good.

Are you sure that, when you were setting it up, it selected the correct transmitter for your location, and not one which is further away and, though receivable, is not suitable?

| Wed 18 May 2022 0:40:54 #2 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

eurobuff

Hi, I tried a manual tune and it wasn’t any better. The box is tuned into the transmitter that is the strongest according to the freeview website, for my postcode. When I said quality between 83%-53%, that is all the different muxes. So BBC1 is 83%, but still suffers from pixalating issues. When I recorded Bbc1 last night the last 4 minutes wouldn’t play at all, the image pixelated then shrunk like altering the aspect ratio and then quit playing. I couldn’t get it to play the last part of the program and ended up watching it on iPlayer

The tv (Panasonic) shows as 100% quality and either 90-100% strength and that gets it’s feed from the aura box?? The tv is fine and the previous freeview box was fine too (tvonics). I also tried plugging in a freeview box from the bedroom where the aura is and that was ok too?.

| Wed 18 May 2022 0:57:40 #3 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

boogersa

special member

Please try this to see if the Aura you have is faulty. Switch to a channel that has a pixelated picture. Reboot the box so that it comes back on the same channel. If the picture is perfect, i.e. no pixelation, switch to another channel for a few minutes and then back again to the previous channel. If the picture is now pixelated after going back to it but was fine after a reboot it means your box is faulty and you need a replacement.

| Wed 18 May 2022 12:18:21 #4 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

eurobuff - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hi, I tried a manual tune and it wasn’t any better. The box is tuned into the transmitter that is the strongest according to the freeview website, for my postcode.

What did the Freeview website say about the anticipated reception quality?

When I said quality between 83%-53%, that is all the different muxes. So BBC1 is 83%, but still suffers from pixalating issues.

Signal quality needs to be 100% for the box to work properly. Check the aerial cabling for any badly made joints or kinks and if it appears OK send the box back for a replacement.

| Wed 18 May 2022 12:20:48 #5 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

eurobuff

Martin Liddle - 12 hours ago  » 

eurobuff - 11 hours ago  » 
    Hi, I tried a manual tune and it wasn’t any better. The box is tuned into the transmitter that is the strongest according to the freeview website, for my postcode.

What did the Freeview website say about the anticipated reception quality?

When I said quality between 83%-53%, that is all the different muxes. So BBC1 is 83%, but still suffers from pixalating issues.

Signal quality needs to be 100% for the box to work properly. Check the aerial cabling for any badly made joints or kinks and if it appears OK send the box back for a replacement.

The Freeview website says between 98-99%. The cabling is fine. The TV is getting the signal through the aura box and the tv reads 100% quality and 90% strength.

Strange thing though. I did a reboot procedure as was mentioned on this post. Since then I have watched 4 1/2 hours of TV on the aura. There were 2 minor pixelations, literally a square block in all that time which is a vast improvement on how it was. I was getting 1/2 screen missing and chirping noises. But when I checked the tuner strength etc, it’s now showing as 39% quality and 36% strength, but the picture is better. Not 100% glitch free but almost

| Thu 19 May 2022 1:27:27 #6 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

eurobuff

boogersa - 13 hours ago  » 
    Please try this to see if the Aura you have is faulty. Switch to a channel that has a pixelated picture. Reboot the box so that it comes back on the same channel. If the picture is perfect, i.e. no pixelation, switch to another channel for a few minutes and then back again to the previous channel. If the picture is now pixelated after going back to it but was fine after a reboot it means your box is faulty and you need a replacement.

I did a reboot procedure as mentioned. Since then I have watched 4 1/2 hours of TV on the aura. There were 2 minor pixelations, literally a square block in all that time which is a :roll:vast improvement on how it was. I was getting 1/2 screen missing and chirping noises. But when I checked the tuner strength etc, it’s now showing as 39% quality and 36% strength, but the picture is better. Not 100% glitch free but almost.

The box has been put switched off each night (with the button on the remote not at the mains) so i don’t understand what the reboot did that switching it off doesn’t do

| Thu 19 May 2022 1:29:07 #7 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

eurobuff - 9 hours ago  » 
    The box has been put switched off each night (with the button on the remote not at the mains) so i don’t understand what the reboot did that switching it off doesn’t do

Using the button the remote puts the box into standby with the state of various things stored; turning off at the mains causes the box to boot from scratch with the state of everything reset.

| Thu 19 May 2022 11:02:13 #8 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

eurobuff

I spoke to,soon. I was using the box on Friday and it’s the worsts it’s been. I missed the need of 2 programs I had recorded, even though I could see the time bar and it having about 7 or 8 minutes to go, and the program hadn’t finished the box started pixelating really badly and then stopped playing. I replayed the recording but I couldn’t get it to play past that point, I even tried to move the time bar slightly past that pint but it wouldn’t do it. The same thing happened with another program I’d recorded. Also whil,I was watching other programs they were pixelating really badly. The weather was ok, so can’t blame that.

Today I have bought a booster. I am now getting 93 -96% signal strength depending on mux, and 94%-100% signal quality. I rebooted the box after I’d plugged the booster in and rechecked the signal and it was still reading same/similar levels. I then started watching a program whilst recording another (on the same mux) but it did suffer from glitching/pixelation. Then I watched another program but it wasn’t recording anything else. It still had pixelation issues???

Please can anyone help. After I installed the booster I also did the switch channel and switch back again but the signal strength & quality didn’t change?

| Sat 21 May 2022 20:46:15 #9 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

bobspark

Sounds as if you need to get box exchanged as I did.Since doing so all has been well except for one day last week when I had problems on some SD channels but I hope was a one off.
    Good luck.

| Sun 22 May 2022 10:55:04 #10 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.