My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Aura suggestions to improve unit.

(207 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ShaunIOW

grahamlthompson - 26 mins ago  » 

ShaunIOW - 1 min ago  » 
    Add an undelete option.
    In recordings where there are a group of episodes of a program, make the oldest episode the default rather than latest.
    Allow full customisation of the Home screen so services not subscribed to don't show recommendations unless wanted.

Undelete is tricky to do on Linux. And I imagine it would make the auto delete oldest when HDD is nearly full awkward.

I don't know about linux issues, but it worked OK on my Sky+HD box where recordings on delete were deleted automatically before oldest ones.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 13:40:37 #161 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 28 mins ago  » 
    Undelete is tricky to do on Linux.

Why do you think it is tricky? The custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 has an undelete capability.

And I imagine it would make the auto delete oldest when HDD is nearly full awkward.

I would implement it as the buffer holding items that the user has marked as deleted would start actually deleting them after a user specified number of days.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 13:43:47 #162 |
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

ShaunIOW - 1 min ago  » 

grahamlthompson - 26 mins ago  » 

ShaunIOW - 1 min ago  » 
    Add an undelete option.
    In recordings where there are a group of episodes of a program, make the oldest episode the default rather than latest.
    Allow full customisation of the Home screen so services not subscribed to don't show recommendations unless wanted.

Undelete is tricky to do on Linux. And I imagine it would make the auto delete oldest when HDD is nearly full awkward.

I don't know about linux issues, but it worked OK on my Sky+HD box where recordings on delete were deleted automatically before oldest ones.

The issue with Linux is journalling file system deletes the entire file data completely. To stop this you would need to create a copy of the entire file somewhere on the HDD and recover this data. This will reduce the recording capability. For those with the smaller HDD it fills up very rapidly. I suppose you could add these to to the to be deleted list.

It's very simple on windows. You just need to copy the file system pointers that identify where the bits of the file are located (a tiny amount of data). If the delete process deletes the actual data it's gone for ever as in a Linux deletion . Basically you want a linux version of the Windows recycle bin.

It's similar to a non linear video editing package. When you create a video compilation on a timeline. By chopping off bits and adding transistions between clips the original source clips are not changed. A edit data list is created that also uses a small amount of data.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 13:53:24 #163 |
  4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

Martin Liddle - 11 mins ago  » 

Why do you think it is tricky? The custom firmware for the HDR-FOX T2 has an undelete capability.

Because the file is not actually deleted it is copied to a seperate area. If you have a lot it's wasted space on the HDD.

For those of us who watch and delete immediately after viewing it's going to leave a lot of data we don't actually want. How would you handle the deletion of a folder with many recordings in it ?

Simple Example of this. I have a ITV-HD Tipping Point folder with 12 episodes. In it and just 8% Free Space.
    And I imagine it would make the auto delete oldest when HDD is nearly full awkward.

I would implement it as the buffer holding items that the user has marked as deleted would start actually deleting them after a user specified number of days.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 14:00:39 #164 |
  5. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 min ago  » 

Martin Liddle - 11 mins ago  » 

Because the file is not actually deleted it is copied to a seperate area. If you have a lot it's wasted space on the HDD.
    For those of us who watch and delete immediately after viewing it's going to leave a lot of data we don't actually want. How would you handle the deletion of a folder with many recordings in it ?
    Simple Example of this. I have a ITV-HD Tipping Point folder with 12 episodes. In it and just 8% Free Space.

Is that per recording or set by programme ?

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 14:02:29 #165 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

It's pretty straightforward to implement something which looks like delete / undelete on the front end of a system like a PVR, irrespective of the OS on which it is based (which of course here is Android, not Linux, as Android is a modified Linux kernel). There are plenty of Android apps which have this sort of feature built into them.

On the front end, if something is ticked "deleted", don't display it. Then have a secondary process to have items ticked as "deleted" showing in something called (but not actually) a recycle bin, with a rule to delete automatically after 30 days (say) and an option to permanently delete if required.

It's irrelevant how the OS handles that, it's all about how the front end is coded to make it appear as if there is a system level delete / undelete function.

The only issue with dealing with it like that is that is that some end users would be running out of space, delete recordings and then fail to comprehend why no new fresh space was being created (assuming the autodelete option wasn't in play).

I think it's a great suggestion, especially as it is quite easy to delete recordings on the box and occasionally different family members will delete something which others wanted retaining.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 15:12:52 #166 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

Martin Liddle

special member

grahamlthompson - 1 hour ago  » 

I assume if such a capability was implemented it would be optional. If the expire time was zero then files would be deleted immediately in the normal way. For people who want the safeguard then it wouldn't be wasted space.

For those of us who watch and delete immediately after viewing it's going to leave a lot of data we don't actually want.

I would view it as something that could be configured and those who don't want it would turn it off and not waste any space.

How would you handle the deletion of a folder with many recordings in it ?

Having marked the files as provisionally deleted you would still have 8% free space.

And I imagine it would make the auto delete oldest when HDD is nearly full awkward

If auto delete is on then I assume it would work as it currently does and delete the oldest files not marked to be preserved.

| Fri 30 Apr 2021 15:23:47 #167 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

mullers63

barrados - 6 days ago  » 

mullers63 - 12 hours ago  » 
    Not sure if this has been mentioned but I would like the ability to skip backwards in Live TV without having to pause first. This was how the Foxsat HDR operated and is frustrating to not have it.

I can skip back in Live TV and also fast rewind too without pressing pause.
    Obviously you need to let it buffer up slightly for it to work.

Sorry to drag this up from before this went a bit away from the topic..

I have never been able to skip backwards from live TV (can rewind) without pressing pause first. Is there some setting for this?

| Mon 3 May 2021 11:10:06 #168 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Asus1964

Only a small one, I find the minimum 5 second display time for the info bar is a bit to long for me & would prefer an option to reduce it to something like 3 seconds.

| Tue 4 May 2021 14:08:34 #169 |
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

phlppip

special member

I'd like to see the volume bars/number when you increase/decrease the volume.

| Wed 5 May 2021 7:25:41 #170 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.