My Humax Forum » Freeview HD » Aura UHD

Humax Aura

(892 posts)
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

ariharry

andyd1302 - 1 day ago  » 
    It's good if Humax are taking on board the issues as constructive criticism, as it's meant that way. I certainly want Humax to succeed with this box & I get the feeling the commenters here want the same.
    The Humax HDR-1000S I'm running alongside the Aura, so my direct comparison is with that plus the Panasonic Plasma panel I'm outputting both Humax units to.
    If certain features can be imported into the Aura that are present on the HDR-1000S, I'd have no hesitation to recommend it to anyone looking for a one box solution but at present I feel that the Aura is still off that point due to various issues which I feel sure can eventually be resolved in time.
    It's good that Humax support are listening though and are open to suggestions.
    I logged the lack of 1080i/50Hz selection in the Aura's Audio & Video Settings with Humax Support, which is a major issue for me due to the Aura's inferior PQ on SD content compared to the HDR-1000S.
    A 'direct' or 1080i/50Hz setting on the Aura to let the panel deal with the deinterlacing would be a start to match the specs on both the HDR-1000S and the FVP-4000T/5000T.
    Both boxes I've found are much better performers with SD content than the Aura.
    Another massive miss for me is the lack of a Humax Client on the Aura for Media serving, similar to the "Humax Media Share" on the HDR-1000S.
    Using the most popular Android apps on the Aura is a nightmare to try to get a reasonable PQ from items stored on a Home Network.
    The plus point is Plex on the Aura is snappy & responsive in the app & the GUI looks good, but the file transcoding is bad & the picture stutters.
    For example:
    For a SD 576 (interlaced) .TS file
    A cursory push of the S/AD button on the Aura remote says the original file is 704x576@25fps.
    The "Output" for display is 1080p@50Hz.
    The "Video Resolution" however, has 1080P@60Hz during playback. It's then where the footage starts to stutter and go out of sync, presumably meaning frames are being dropped either in the app or by the Humax box itself.
    In Kodi for Android, the same (interlaced) file :
    704x576@25fps
    "Output" 1080p@50Hz.
    "Video Resolution" 1080P@60Hz
    The audio is well out of sync too on Android Kodi, and even the GUI button presses have a sound delay from the remote button input.
    After looking at the 'system', 'display' settings in Android Kodi on the Aura, the refresh rate seems to be fixed at 1920x1080p 60Hz with a greyed out area where you can normally amend to match, which might mean the Aura on the Android side is locked to the US standard?
    The Client on the HDR-1000S (via Humax Media share) plays all files flawlessly using Media Share as a client and Plex as a server from a Windows PC, with excellent SD and HD PQ.
    So as a workaround I'm currently using the HDR-1000S for media streaming as the original quality seems to be maintained with no lag.
    Both Aura and HDR-1000S are ethernet hard-wired.
    Whether this is an easy fix I'm unsure, but I hope this info is of some use somewhere along the line...

Related to this I’d like to see 1080p24/23.98 support. Aura doesn’t appear to support that output which I find odd given that for media playback it is a common resolution and frame rate.

I’ve got ripped Blurays in my library that I play back using Plex, plus I use Prime video which has a mostly 1080p content. Aura selects 4k24 for 1080p24 material resulting in poor upscaling quality.

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 21:50:32 #861 |
  2. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

I use Jellyfin for Android TV, but dependant on what I choose to view, it all comes to a grinding halt and I have to power cycle the box to get back to normal. I haven't worked out what the cause is. Jellyfin for Android, and Android TV works well on my phone, so I'm inclined to think its the box and how it handles various movie encoding formats. Anyone else have experience?

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 23:37:25 #862 |
  3. User has not uploaded an avatar

MickO

Anybody tried viewing the box outside their network, by VPN or other means with the App?
    Tried it this afternoon. Extremely pissed off that I couldn't view recorded or live material remotely outside my home network.
    However, I'll try the long way around with the Test page on port 8080 and browser tomorrow if I remember.
    I must give some meaningful feedback...

| Thu 11 Feb 2021 23:46:51 #863 |
  4. User has not uploaded an avatar

larkim

special member

I've successfully watched remotely using the 8080 pages. Just required port forwarding on the router, and of course a reliable and consistent upload speed from home. I can't imagine I'll ever use it in practice, but I suppose it's possible I might.

| Fri 12 Feb 2021 7:39:08 #864 |
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

ParksidePeter

davidrew - 1 week ago  » 
    Impressed this morning as the box had picked up last night that it was going to record 5 simultaneous programmes, all on series link, and changed one of them to record the +1 channel instead.

I was impressed when I set something to record that had already started a few weeks ago, because it recorded the whole programme. Suspect this might be channel related because in a similar situation a couple of weeks later I only got the portion after I set it to record.

| Fri 12 Feb 2021 19:25:04 #865 |
  6. User has not uploaded an avatar

ParksidePeter

A downside on the app. You can't cancel a scheduled recording.

| Fri 12 Feb 2021 19:30:42 #866 |
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

andyd1302

ariharry - 1 day ago  » 

Related to this I’d like to see 1080p24/23.98 support. Aura doesn’t appear to support that output which I find odd given that for media playback it is a common resolution and frame rate.
    I’ve got ripped Blurays in my library that I play back using Plex, plus I use Prime video which has a mostly 1080p content. Aura selects 4k24 for 1080p24 material resulting in poor upscaling quality.

The poor upscaling on the Aura is the biggest issue for me, together with the resolution switching.

Any SD looks ruddy awful on the Aura because of it's forced conversion to progressive scan. OK, the bitrate might be less than great on some SD channels but the Aura succeeds in making them look even worse on the panel, with washed out colours & a 'haze' on the display.

The HDR-1000S & FVP-4000/5000T never had this issue, so it must be the box.

I think Davidrew has some sound advice on the previous page..

Please raise your issues and any suggestions with Humax support, they are listening and the more customers reporting these issues should hopefully help resolve them more quickly. You can email them on uksupport@humaxonline.co.uk

Related to the last update, I'm finding the Aura's auto-switching has become an absolute nightmare to such an extent that the Aura froze when switching to a Freeview Channel 4 HD broadcast in 16:9.

The Aura mistakenly thought it was 4:3 (pic below) then locked up.

The unit was unresponsive to remote command other than volume & channel up/down, where on channel change it still displayed the wrong aspect ratio & had to be unplugged to get it to display again correctly.

It seems since the auto-switching update was implemented in the Jan 29 release, along with the forced 1080p/50Hz default setting with less choice of manual override (1080i/50Hz please), it's becoming increasingly frustrating to use.

Attachments

1. 20210212_201500.jpg (903.7 KB, 8 downloads) 3 years old
    | Sat 13 Feb 2021 13:58:20 #867 |
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

Ssppiiddeerrmma

My 7yr-old T2000 gave up the ghost. I looked at the Aura and £250 is too much. I don't need any of the apps, they're all already on my Android TV so I just need a PVR. I therefore bought a reconditioned FVP5000 for a ton from Humax Direct and I'm very content.
    I reckon Humax could do well releasing an Aura "lite", a basic PVR without the bells and whistles I already have. I cant be only person who just wants a recorder?

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 16:22:40 #868 |
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

Kieth

I have been fairly happy with my Aura but there are still some foibles which irritate as a user. I have not experienced the issues others report on pixellated playback etc. Playback quality for me has been very good.

Before I report these to Humax do others confirm these:

1. Cannot delete a file recorded after the watershed without entering a PIN. (others here have complained about this I think)

2. After the latest updates the Aura does not retain the volume level being used after a deep standby. It comes on again at MAX volume. (with normal standby it is OK the level is maintained as it was) I don't use the option to control the volume of my TV with the Aura remote.

3. I often chase play a programme which is still recording. The problem is that when the recording ends Aura shuts down whilst I am still viewing the recording. When restarted it often loses the playback position returning to the start of the recording.

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 17:17:57 #869 |
  10. brian

brian

special member

Kieth - 3 mins ago  » 
    I have been fairly happy with my Aura but there are still some foibles which irritate as a user. I have not experienced the issues others report on pixellated playback etc. Playback quality for me has been very good.
    Before I report these to Humax do others confirm these:
    1. Cannot delete a file recorded after the watershed without entering a PIN. (others here have complained about this I think)
    2. After the latest updates the Aura does not retain the volume level being used after a deep standby. It comes on again at MAX volume. (with normal standby it is OK the level is maintained as it was) I don't use the option to control the volume of my TV with the Aura remote.
    3. I often chase play a programme which is still recording. The problem is that when the recording ends Aura shuts down whilst I am still viewing the recording. When restarted it often loses the playback position returning to the start of the recording.

1. Not entirely correct, this only applies to recordings with a Guidance flag in the EPG, most programmes don't have the guidance flag. Humax are aware of this bug, the PIN should be required before viewing recordings with guidance flag.

I can't comment on your other two points, as I have not experienced them.

| Sat 13 Feb 2021 17:31:01 #870 |

RSS feed for this topic

Reply »

You must log in to post.